LWCF stop gap...

BuzzH

WASHINGTON — An omnibus budget deal released by Congress early this morning increases agency funding and includes a measure that reauthorizes the Land and Water Conservation Fund – but for only three years.

The spending bill for Fiscal Year 2016 represents a hard-won – and at times bitterly contested – agreement that funds the federal government in the coming year while narrowly averting another shutdown. While acknowledging the hard work by Congress, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers reiterated the need for LWCF legislation that permanently reauthorizes and fully funds the highly successful conservation program.

“Christmas came early for sportsmen late last night when Congress passed a budget deal that not only avoided a government shutdown but also includes a provision to reauthorize the Land and Water conservation fund for three years at $450 million,” said BHA President and CEO Land Tawney.

“Strong bipartisan support for the LWCF overcame fringe elements in the Senate – and House Natural Resources Chair Rob Bishop – to do the right thing for conservation and public access,” Tawney continued. “Unfortunately this provision is like getting a bike for Christmas with no air in the tires. Congress had the opportunity to do the right thing for LWCF once and for all but failed to move language already developed that would permanently reauthorize one of our nation’s most historic, successful conservation programs.”

Full story here:

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/i...op-gap-lwcf-measure-in-late-night-budget-deal

Good news and agreed, 3 years is better than nothing and should give some time to show how important this is and work towards a permanent and fully funded LWCF.

Great news. Sad it will be on the chopping block in the near future but I had serious doubts about it making it into the spending bill.

Yup. Chalk up one won battle, but the war drags on. If you care about access and opportunity, follow this issue and fight for Land & Water Conservation Fund.

Good news, but it's not a done deal yet. Both houses still have to vote on the deal, and the opportunity to cause shennanigans isn't over yet.

Thanks BHA, NWF, TRCP, RMEF and a host of others who worked their tails off on this.

Good news! Too bad they couldn't take care of getting the wolf delisted in the Midwest and Wyoming like they had hoped.

Montana's Senator Tester is conflicted about the bill because it includes alot of good provisions such as at least temporary funding of LWCF, but it contains much he is opposed to ... including huge debt load.
It appears that he will vote against it.

Huh, shenanigans all around. Business as usual in DC I guess.

Ted Cruz is a no as well. Pelosi isn't sure the dem votes exist to pass in the House. The Freedom caucus isn't happy either.

Christmas needs to come and grow these grinches hearts.

Douche Canoe
Someone who exceedes the limits of being a normal douche or douche bag.

"Luke, you are such a douche canoe"
by Dino V. February 18, 2007

I sent a note to Martin Heinrich/NM, thanking for his help in this effort, again.
I hammer every politico from county commissioners to the so called Nations leaders. All the time. I'm retired and they deserve it.....
Cruz and most of the candidates are at the $ trough and could care less about public lands.They do smell a payoff from a long ways away,typical carpetbaggers. Buzzards?
...but Cruz is an insult to douchbags even.............He even looks like Snidley Whiplash!

Last edited:
Sen. Daines letter today indicates he's on board.

Bill has passed. Sen's Tester & Daines both voted no on the omnibus package for reasons outside of LWCF & conservation funding. Both worked to ensure that LWCF was included and deserve thanks

Senator Tester also worked very hard to ensure that riders proposed to eliminate funding for conservation programs, BLM management plans, etc stayed out and in another bit of good news, overall funding for conservation and land management increased for the next year due to the hard work of groups like RMEF, BHA, TRCP, NWF and many, many others.

Rob Bishop & Ryan Benson got nothing out of the process.

Back