Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Luxe Hot Tent

802flyfish

Just purchased a Luxe Megahorn Tipi (4p) with the added UV inside coating. Has anyone used a stove or a lil buddy heater in conjunction with the tent ? I plan on using it between archery and rifle season here in Montana. I plan on using it at the trail head so I don't plan on any extensive backpacking with it so I'm debating running a stove or buying the buddy heater and running it off a 20lb propane tank.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/megahorn-tipi-tent-wood-stove-jack?variant=4317957226507

Buddy heater though convenient will produce a ton of condensation. Get a Carbon monoxide detector for safety though I suspect the tent leaks enough air to be ok

If you don't need it for backpacking I'd probably get a small stainless steel stove. I have the original version of Lite Outdoors Titanium stove and it's great. The new ones are way better

Another vote for a stove. I like the thermal heat better, are NO fail, and limitless heat as long as you are in a wooded area. I always feel comforted knowing that no matter how cold and nasty it is outside while I am hunting I am coming back to the warm and dry.

we consistently rock a little buddy in our tent. It's money for those those who have decent sleeping bags (so the heater isn't on) and spend all day not in the tent. It's just for warming in the mornings and evenings for a few minutes. 10 days and we didn't use a 5 gal tank.

Looks like it weighs quite a bit more than the comparable SeekOutside tent but at less than 1/2 the cost. Definitely worth a look if a person wants to try a hot tent setup.

Really curious. What's the advantage to this?

From the website

"This campsite features the white fabric with a silver pigment on the outside surface and the inside is coated with a UV reflective coating. This is to provide more shelter in extreme heat and the inside reflects more heat when using a wood stove. Adding extra coatings to the fabric also makes it more durable".

"

Purpose of UV Reflective Coating​

This model is white on the outside and on the inside comes with silver UV coating, this helps reflect Sun during heat waves to keep you cool, and during extremely cold conditions it helps reflect your ambient heat inside the tent, and keep you warm."

I will be Primarily using this tent for winter/ fall camping so I went with the UV coating. It was only a $20.00 dollar up charge.

I bought a luxe 3 person tent and a lite outdoors stove for my hunt this year. The they both feel well made. I have high hopes for this combo. FYI, in my opinion the tent doesn't come with enough tent stakes. Seam sealing a tent is a major pain. Now I know why they don't do it before you buy it or some companies charge you for it.

I'd be very leery of any company that stated not returnable if opened. I've heard of plenty of people being burned by their products. As far as the stove issue, I've used my buddy heater in a hot tent before but have awoken to considerable considation. If a base camp is desired I'd look into making an ammo can wood burning stove. It's a fun little project that only takes maybe an hour to complete and for as little as $20 bucks.

Last edited:
I'd be very leery of any company that stated not returnable if opened. I've heard of plenty of people being burned by there products. As far as the stove issue, I've used my buddy heater in a hot tent before but have awoken to considerable considation. If a base camp is desired I'd look into making an ammo can wood burning stove. It's a fun little project that only takes maybe an hour to complete and for as little as $20 bucks.

That's a bummer to hear. This will be my first foray with hot tenting. I figured if I really enjoyed it, I'll upgrade next season with a SO.

Just purchased a Luxe Megahorn Tipi (4p) with the added UV inside coating. Has anyone used a stove or a lil buddy heater in conjunction with the tent ? I plan on using it between archery and rifle season here in Montana. I plan on using it at the trail head so I don't plan on any extensive backpacking with it so I'm debating running a stove or buying the buddy heater and running it off a 20lb propane tank.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/megahorn-tipi-tent-wood-stove-jack?variant=4317957226507
I have been looking at these tents as well, I will be interested to see what you think of it after a season of use. If you don't mind keep me posted.

IMO buddy heaters are best in canvas tents where condensation isn’t an issue. I use one in my Kodiak canvas tent and never had a problem. I wouldn’t use one in a tent made out of any kind of polymer as condensation will be an issue for sure.

I bought a luxe 3 person tent and a lite outdoors stove for my hunt this year. The they both feel well made. I have high hopes for this combo. FYI, in my opinion the tent doesn't come with enough tent stakes. Seam sealing a tent is a major pain. Now I know why they don't do it before you buy it or some companies charge you for it.
I have a Hexpeak XL. So far, so good- money well spent. The stakes are the only thing that aren’t well built- buying extra isn’t a bad idea. We put it through the ringer last year in Wyoming. It was windy as all heck and I thought for sure I was going to come back to a missing tent, but it held tight.
I’d certainly have little reservation buying from them again.
Would I buy Kifaru or Seek Outside over Luxe? Sure, if funds weren’t an issue, but Luxe is a fine substitute for us poh folk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back