PEAX Equipment

Lund boat build

Magnum Sherpa

I’m about to pull the trigger and put down a deposit on a Lund Tyee 1975 for next season. This will be a step up from my previous boat which was a 16 foot Tracker. I’ve gone over the details multiple times, but I’m curious what everyone’s must haves are? Anything you wish you had done differently on your fishing boats? I’ll primarily fish for trout and walleye, and also use it at times for tubing and waterskiing with the family. I plan to have it for a long time, so I want to get it built right from the start.

Get the biggest boat you can afford with the Max HP motor. Get the most powerful trolling motor that you can afford and make sure it has Spotlock or equivalent. Get the best electronics that you can afford. If you can buy an extended warranty on the motor, get it. I’d also get a Mercury 4 stroke but you may have to wait a while for it but it would be worth it. Congrats on the new boat. Enjoy it.

Downriggers. I wish I had downriggers. A trolling motor with the function that keeps you in the same place when you're jigging. And as stated, the best electronics you can afford. I like to troll so I would also say a kicker trolling motor in the back. Not just the front mounted one.

The tyee is a classic. I don’t think you will go wrong there. I agree with the electric motor. I’d get a 112 lb thrust bow mount with 72” shaft and a 9.9 kicker hooked to your main. If you have a 225hp main it may not idle slow enough to troll.

on board battery chargers big enough for all the batteries. You may have 5 batteries with an electric motor, kicker and main.

if you get downriggers you’ll want them mounted so they quickly detach for when the kids decide it’s time to ski. Covers are nice. A front cover and a rear travel cover plus a full top that is tall enough you can sit up straight underneath of it when you are driving.

Make sure it fits in your garage. I have a buddy who had a Lund impact and upgraded to a bigger fiberglass Lund and it wouldn’t fit under his garage door.

Personally I’d stay away from a swinging tongue hitch. I about lost my boat because a weld where the swing hitch comes together formed a huge crack, we had went to Lake Michigan about 100 miles away and dumped the boat in the water and noticed it. We had to find a welder on a Saturday before we could load the boat back up.

no doubt after you order it and run the boat a few times you’ll think of something you had and find something you got that you just don’t use that much.

Horse power! I have 8 Lunds up here, Aluminum flat bottom. 16 or 18 foot with 60 or 90 horse jets. The 90s get better mileage then the 60s. My primary guide boats are 20 foot, North River Scouts. running 150 or 200. The 200 beats the 150 on gallons per hour and only a little behind the 90

Very nice! Great looking and functional boat. This said as a rookie, myself though I see many of the components I was advised to have aboard.

I hadn't seen this back in '21 though interesting situation shared by @Gellar about the break at the trailer tongue area... my ezloader doesn't have that style though I viewed many boats/trailers that included this. I figured for the length, no need. It's not fitting in a garage regardless.

Looks fantastic! If you maintain it, no reason why it can't last many years! Heck decades! I am still running a 1989 Penn Yan I bought new in spring of 1989! Do not slack off on simple maintenance! Follow the warranty maintenance timelines and document with receipts in case you have a problem. Not likely with newer OB's but just in case.

If it won't fit in your garage I will be happy to keep it in my pole barn and run it often to keep it lubricated properly. I will try to keep the fish slime off the floor!

Gorgeous rig! Your family will love it! Congrats!

Very nice! Great looking and functional boat. This said as a rookie, myself though I see many of the components I was advised to have aboard.

I hadn't seen this back in '21 though interesting situation shared by @Gellar about the break at the trailer tongue area... my ezloader doesn't have that style though I viewed many boats/trailers that included this. I figured for the length, no need. It's not fitting in a garage regardless.
From the pictures I’ve seen you did very well in your boat shopping! One thing I do like to recommend to people is a coast guard boating class. They are online or in person and pretty cheap and packed with good lessons for novice boaters. The coast guard or coast guard auxiliary will also do boat inspections. These are free and insure you have the proper safety equipment in your boat to be legal and safe. Have a fun and safe season on the open water!

I didn't see this in time, but I run track systems on all my boats. There are a bunch of manufacturers, Cannon, Bert's, TraxTec to name a few. All the rod holders, downrigger mounts, ect from all brands that I know of will fit in each other's tracks. I normally fish walleyes around home so I keep RAM bases in the tracks most of the time, but when I want to go salmon fishing, I just slide in my Bert's tube holders, downriggers, and rod trees. Or if the kids want to swim, just take everything off and put it in a storage locker.

Ignore the water in the first pic, had a livewell pump pop out, but you can see the tracks and RAM holder bases. The second pic is my salmon boat with some of the accessories mounted.

Attachments

• 20210912_063229.jpg
    20210912_063229.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210727_105259.jpg
    20210727_105259.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
I agree with Lenny in the post above. Mount as many accessories as possible on a track system such as Bert's or utilize the Lund Sport track system built into the boat for mounting downriggers/rod holders etc. No sense drilling holes into a brand new boat until you are sure of where you want everything mo0unted.

I didn't see this in time, but I run track systems on all my boats. There are a bunch of manufacturers, Cannon, Bert's, TraxTec to name a few. All the rod holders, downrigger mounts, ect from all brands that I know of will fit in each other's tracks. I normally fish walleyes around home so I keep RAM bases in the tracks most of the time, but when I want to go salmon fishing, I just slide in my Bert's tube holders, downriggers, and rod trees. Or if the kids want to swim, just take everything off and put it in a storage locker.

Ignore the water in the first pic, had a livewell pump pop out, but you can see the tracks and RAM holder bases. The second pic is my salmon boat with some of the accessories mounted.
Porcupine there! Love it.
You won’t regret a rigged out Lund. Max HP like everyone said. It doesn’t hurt your hours per gallon and helps a lot on the resale.
Get all the trolling motor receptacles and downrigger plugs they can offer. EZ battery switches and get the dealer to preload every electronic you might need. Nothing is uglier than a home brew electrical wire strung from bow to stern.

For trout/ kokanee I have 4 Downrigger and would be running 4 Finn’s Downrigger weights! Happy boating and take great care of her ! My boat is an 2005 weldcraft 18.6dv maverick and looks new.

Back