Lowa consistent in fit?

Well, the Tibet GTX's arrived in 10.5 and were just a touch too small as my toes could be pushed hard to touch the end, so on a downhill would likely be painful. New way of shopping I resisted cause I'm a bit old school but went ahead and ordered the Tibet GTX from REI in size 11 and the Kennetrak Mountain Extremes in 11 from Sportsman's Warehouse. Both have them mail order but not in their local stores so this is how it has to be done.
Best of luck in finding the right boot. I ordered the Lathrop & Sons High Country Synergy insoles for my Tibet’s. The included insoles feel fine but I’ve read nothing but great reviews on the synergy insoles so I figured why not give them a shot.

Best of luck in finding the right boot. I ordered the Lathrop & Sons High Country Synergy insoles for my Tibet’s. The included insoles feel fine but I’ve read nothing but great reviews on the synergy insoles so I figured why not give them a shot.

Yes, insoles will be the next search for me.

Side Roll Stiffness
So both sets came, the Tibet GTX Hi (checking it out) and Kenetrek Mountain Extreme (both non-insulated. Both feel very good but interestingly read on an Alaskan outdoors forum about their experience with the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes being a little softer when sidehilling for extended distances. So I did my highly scientific field test (in my dining room) of simply rolling my ankle to the outside out of curiosity.

Low and behold, there is a rather big difference in the stiffness of the boots, at least when right out of the box without breakin. Lowa on left foot and Kenetrek on right.

Images show: flat on floor, Lowa ankle rolled out, Kenetrek ankle rolled out, Both ankles rolled out

Actual field test may vary but out of the box there's clearly a notable stiffness difference. Whether it's important or not for each person is up to them, but figured it's nice to know.

Waterproof Tongue Height
Both are about the same total height but the Kenetrek tongue goes all the way to the top while the Lowa stops a couple inches lower.

Cheers,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    891.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3150.jpeg
    IMG_3150.jpeg
    982.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3151.jpeg
    IMG_3151.jpeg
    888.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    876.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3152.jpeg
    IMG_3152.jpeg
    868.4 KB · Views: 6
Different models of Lowa boots are built on different lasts and will fit differently.

I wear a 12 Wide in Tibets or Hunters. I can email their customer service and tell them that and they are good about giving me an idea how a different model may fit. For instance, they recommended a 13W in the Renegade, and a 12 or 13W in the Camino, but told me the Tibet last is their widest, while the Camino is much narrower...so it may not fit at all.

I have gone through 3 pairs of Renegade’s in wide. All have been true to fit in my size. I have not worn the higher end line in Lowa only because in higher price points I wear Crispi.

Different models of Lowa boots are built on different lasts and will fit differently.

I wear a 12 Wide in Tibets or Hunters. I can email their customer service and tell them that and they are good about giving me an idea how a different model may fit. For instance, they recommended a 13W in the Renegade, and a 12 or 13W in the Camino, but told me the Tibet last is their widest, while the Camino is much narrower...so it may not fit at all.
My Caminos are narrow boots but I am using them for everyday wear/hike boot like I used to with Danner Cascades. I amused to snug fit there.
The Tibets are wide for support under extreme conditions on extreme terrain & need a bigger support platform ....so I don't fall over in snow & mud in my old age.....lol

Yes, insoles will be the next search for me.

Side Roll Stiffness
So both sets came, the Tibet GTX Hi (checking it out) and Kenetrek Mountain Extreme (both non-insulated. Both feel very good but interestingly read on an Alaskan outdoors forum about their experience with the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes being a little softer when sidehilling for extended distances. So I did my highly scientific field test (in my dining room) of simply rolling my ankle to the outside out of curiosity.

Low and behold, there is a rather big difference in the stiffness of the boots, at least when right out of the box without breakin. Lowa on left foot and Kenetrek on right.

Images show: flat on floor, Lowa ankle rolled out, Kenetrek ankle rolled out, Both ankles rolled out

Actual field test may vary but out of the box there's clearly a notable stiffness difference. Whether it's important or not for each person is up to them, but figured it's nice to know.

Waterproof Tongue Height
Both are about the same total height but the Kenetrek tongue goes all the way to the top while the Lowa stops a couple inches lower.

Cheers,

Steve
@lifeisgoodsteve,

Which one did you end up going with and which one got returned? I'm looking real hard at the Tibets for this season. I have the Renegade, but looking for something a little stiffer and with better waterproofing. I wear an 11.5W Renegade and I am thinking I'll likely just get the same size Tibet. Lowa does offer free exchanges if the size is off. I just wish there were places close to me where I could try them on.

@lifeisgoodsteve,

Which one did you end up going with and which one got returned? I'm looking real hard at the Tibets for this season. I have the Renegade, but looking for something a little stiffer and with better waterproofing. I wear an 11.5W Renegade and I am thinking I'll likely just get the same size Tibet. Lowa does offer free exchanges if the size is off. I just wish there were places close to me where I could try them on.
I kept the Tibet highs and ran them for a season or two. They were super solid, packed out an elk and a deer with them with no foot issues.

That said, they did feel "clunky" and pretty heavy. So I started to experiment will lighter boots and varied stiffness levels. If Lowa fits you well, I must say that the Caminos (which hank4elk mentioned) have a great balance of medium stiffness, fantastic lacing system and middle of the road weight. My feet generally fit Scarpa well and if going with a boot as stiff as the Tibet, the Ribelle HD is much lighter, feels way more nimble and my preferred boot. Most of the time now for Western mountain hunting (not goat/sheep in scree) I've been preferring a medium stiffness boot.

Thanks, guys. I found a pretty good sale on GoHunt and decided to ask for the Caminos for an early bday gift. I feel confident after wearing them for a couple of days that they will do the trick. Plenty stiff enough and pretty comfortable. I went with 11.5 regulars so the same size as my Renegades. While they aren't as comfy as the Renegades, they offer much more ankle and sole support, and I'm willing to bet they get comfier as they break-in. I love the lacing system and like how I can get a tighter fit around the ankle to really lock in my heel. I did order some new insoles as the ones Lowa provides are very minimal. I had good luck with Sof Sol soles in my renegades and will give them a shot in these.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back