Loving it to death

In the 70s every wilderness area we worked in was crowded. The John Muir was one of the worst right up there with the Bob. The designated Wilderness area status seemed to make them a target. I find fewer people in the National Forests that are too rough for quads. I think the designation dooms the wild nature of places. Especially when the Sierra Club buses roll up.

Interesting article. From what I read, it looks like the primary reason for the decline in 2020 is from the ski resorts.

Also, found this interesting:

“Tourism and outdoor recreation have become major contributors to our revenues. Most of those dollars are paid for by visitors, not our citizens,” Gov. Mark Gordon told the Joint Appropriations Committee.

I found the quote about expanding recreation into the Red Desert disappointing. It feels like one of the last best places (sorry MT).

the west is really played.
made an attempt on 3 river permits already, blanked on all of them. Round 2 comes up in another week and a half. Only a couple non-permitted rivers left, and they've already announced this is the last year with self issued permits on one. Another has to be near the end of it's run. It'll make breaks sheep tags look like easy draws in another decade.

made an attempt on 3 river permits already, blanked on all of them. Round 2 comes up in another week and a half. Only a couple non-permitted rivers left, and they've already announced this is the last year with self issued permits on one. Another has to be near the end of it's run. It'll make breaks sheep tags look like easy draws in another decade.
Friend of mine just picked up a turned in permit. He knew one was getting turned in but still spent hours on his computer hitting refresh waiting for it to pop up

made an attempt on 3 river permits already, blanked on all of them. Round 2 comes up in another week and a half. Only a couple non-permitted rivers left, and they've already announced this is the last year with self issued permits on one. Another has to be near the end of its run. It'll make breaks sheep tags look like easy draws in another decade.
It’s so frustrating! I haven’t been able to draw river permits no matter what I do. At least there’s no bonus point system so I still have hope of drawing someday. I know a couple people who have drawn back to back years and act like it’s no big deal.

Just saw a Facebook post of local rec majors helping build new mountain bike trails at a park close to me. The park already has a pretty great group of hiking trails in it. When I moved here it was a great place to go for a quick run, walk a dog and maybe see a moose or deer. Within the last couple years to me it seems use has been steadily climbing and now tug bike trails will be even worse. Hooray🤦‍♂️

I hate to keep posting the same thing, but read Desert Solitaire; this was all foretold.

A voice crying in the Wilderness.

The pressure on our resources, especially in the west, is just depressing. Especially with most folks not giving a damn thing in return.

I think the Senator is behind the curve on this one. Rock Climbing isn't by thing, I'm actually terrified of heights, but this is going to turn into the same quagmire as everything else, Wreckreaction will ruin a place. I know enough to know the more protection you allow climbers the broader range of abilities can climb it. Heaven forbid we have some places that remain too dangerous. Or, and this is really my sticking point, we actually follow the wilderness act and remove man made objects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back