Lovin' those Lever Actions

blgoode

I've been eying a new gun but deep down I really wanted another lever action!!

Got a 2007 to sit beside my 2006

My main woods gun is the one on the left 2006
It seems made a tad better than the right one but just cosmetics.

909353a0.jpg

d2e7e85a.jpg

4be3b0d1.jpg

I love Marlins. Those are two really good looking guns.
Calibers?

Noharleyyet,

I can say with out a doubt they work. I shoot my 338MXLR out to 400yds with confidence. My 30-30 is now a 200yds rifle with no problem and just missed a coyote this summer with it at just over 300 yds (I shot over his back). I no long hunt with anything else. If you are ever down in South Texas, or maybe in the Hill Country some time, maybe we can meet & find a long distance gun range and fire off a few.

Noharleyyet,

I can say with out a doubt they work. I shoot my 338MXLR out to 400yds with confidence. My 30-30 is now a 200yds rifle with no problem and just missed a coyote this summer with it at just over 300 yds (I shot over his back). I no long hunt with anything else. If you are ever down in South Texas, or maybe in the Hill Country some time, maybe we can meet & find a long distance gun range and fire off a few.

Thanks, I'd like that.

Funny I gave my unscoped Marlin 30-30 to my son Sunday along with a box of the tipped Hornadys. Will share your and gundog's info with him.

I think I might've talked to you about this before, but everything I've read, and my experience, is that evolution stuff needs the ballard rifling, and not the micro-groove.

My ballard .444 loves it, and my micro-groove 30-30 hates it.

I know the micro-groove rifling does not shoot cast bullets well unless they are slightly oversize. I haven't heard any complaints about the Hornady's ammo with micro-groove barrels and I havn't seen any issues with the ones I've personaly worked on. I've seen extremely fouled micro-grove barrels throw shots all over the place no matter what the bullet style.

My ballard .444 loves it, and my micro-groove 30-30 hates it.

Randy,
please post a photo of your rifle. I'm always interested in these Ballard guns. Ballard runs through my veins. :) I can't remember (I need to ask my dad), but Ballard rifles was started by my great-great grandfather's brother (may have been a cousin). I should know this. :eek:

Fowl, it's not a Ballard rifle, just a ballard rifled Marlin. Ballard must have been the first make to use that form of rifling. Very cool though that you're related to the rifle maker.

Gundog, my 30-30 shoots 170 grain cup and cores great, it's just the flextip stuff that it struggles with. Maybe some of the microgroove barrels do like them.

top-model 94 32 special- originally my Dad's up to 1972, I used from 1972-1983,
ruger model 96 - 44 mag I bought this new in 1996, for my 3 sons, they all started on this gun.
model 81 BLR in 308 circa 1990, my Dad loved my BLR he bought this one for himself.
model 81 BLR in 308 circa 1980 , I've shot this since 1983, probably 100 deer, 6 bears.

Attachments

• lever1.jpeg
    lever1.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 9
  • lever2.jpeg
    lever2.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307