Lost in the Woods - Mental recharge season

Lostinthewoods

The draw season is here and it’s looking like incredible so far.

As of right now my September will be maxed out with 2 archery elk tags and 2 archery deer tags.

On top of that there will deer hunting in Missouri, Oklahoma, Kentucky, fishing, turkey hunting, and trapping. Add in a few other random adventures and this might be a fun season to document.

IMG_9462.jpeg
The draw season started off swell with an Archery Elk tag in Montana plus the deer tag.

I’m going with a friend who has hunted the unit a few times and has been fairly successful. I’ve never stepped foot in Montana so this should be fun.

IMG_9461.jpeg

Next New Mexico gave me a heart attack when I drew an archery elk tag and archery mule deer tag.

The elk unit is one that I hunted in 2020 and took my best bull.

See below

IMG_1193.jpeg

The deer unit is near where I use to live when I was stationed in New Mexico and there is a decent population of deer.

Ultimately my goal for this season is to slow down and enjoy my time in the woods/mountains/outdoors.

These past few seasons my brain has been on fire and my body has been on overload from work and life stuff. So it’s time I learn to recharge better and there is no better place to do it.

Hope you enjoy.

My year really started off once Missouri deer season closed. It was time for me and my daughter to start doing our new found hobby.
In 2023 on a 280 acre farm we have access to, we started trapping. The goal was to help the turkey population in any way that we could. Well the first season we caught over 100 critters. So one this season began we were ready for another round of fun.

The season just recently ended and we took -

48 raccoons
18 possums

One thing I noticed so far this year too and there are more birds on the property than the year prior. If there were approx 5-8 birds on the property last year there are 14-20 this year. They are way more comfortable than ever. Now I just hope I can protect the nests.

IMG_9463.jpegIMG_9464.jpegIMG_9465.jpegIMG_9466.jpeg

I was also able to do a little shed hunting. We don’t typically find too many on this property, but I found a few!

We also have a few ponds out here and so far it’s been fun!

IMG_9467.jpegIMG_9468.jpegIMG_9469.jpegIMG_9470.jpegIMG_9471.jpegIMG_9472.jpegIMG_9473.jpeg

These next couple of weeks will really focus on turkey hunting, fishing, bow prep, season prep, farm prep, and more.

I’m going to try to spend as much time outdoors as I can.

Last edited:
Been awhile man! My kids absolutely love trapping and I've also seen the benefits to the turkey on my property. Looking forward to following along this year.20211218_123506.jpg

Been awhile man! My kids absolutely love trapping and I've also seen the benefits to the turkey on my property. Looking forward to following along this year.View attachment 323507
It really is so much fun and I had no idea she would take to it so fast. It was a really good introduction and transition for her into killing. She’s always scouted with me, blood trailed with me, and helped butcher. Now with the trap lines we have been able to practice shooting fundamentals and safety and she’s becoming more familiar with the whole process. She’s almost more ate up over it than I am!

I love seeing the smiles! You cannot beat getting the kids outdoors.

The draw season is here and it’s looking like incredible so far.

As of right now my September will be maxed out with 2 archery elk tags and 2 archery deer tags.

On top of that there will deer hunting in Missouri, Oklahoma, Kentucky, fishing, turkey hunting, and trapping. Add in a few other random adventures and this might be a fun season to document.

View attachment 323450
The draw season started off swell with an Archery Elk tag in Montana plus the deer tag.

I’m going with a friend who has hunted the unit a few times and has been fairly successful. I’ve never stepped foot in Montana so this should be fun.

View attachment 323451

Next New Mexico gave me a heart attack when I drew an archery elk tag and archery mule deer tag.

The elk unit is one that I hunted in 2020 and took my best bull.

See below

View attachment 323453

The deer unit is near where I use to live when I was stationed in New Mexico and there is a decent population of deer.

Ultimately my goal for this season is to slow down and enjoy my time in the woods/mountains/outdoors.

These past few seasons my brain has been on fire and my body has been on overload from work and life stuff. So it’s time I learn to recharge better and there is no better place to do it.

Hope you enjoy.
Dang thats a big one, good job

IMG_9395.jpeg
IMG_9478.jpeg

I got out here a little late today because of some stuff. So I’m gonna do an afternoon hunt. I had 2 gobblers and 3 jakes right in front of my blind of course…..

I took a chance and pushed them out with my truck because they know it well and usually come right back. So I pushed them, parked, and sprinted in.

Let’s see how this afternoon goes. Otherwise tomorrow I’ll be out here early.IMG_9481.jpegIMG_9486.jpeg

Last edited:
This morning was bitter sweet. I was able to arrow my first Missouri bird on the farm we’ve been trapping on!

He gobbled back in the timber. After a little call action and teasing, he came sprinting into my decoys and I killed him at 7 yards.

This is the stuff I dream of and it came true. Happy Sunday!

IMG_9590.jpegIMG_9555.jpeg

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back