Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Looking to upgrade spotter tripod

88man

Looking for recommendations on a new spotter tripod and costs

I picked up the Vortex Summit SSP a couple weeks ago on ebay for a deal. It's been great. I like the twist lock on the legs, quick and easy deployment. My last one had the levers, and I din't like that at all. Plus lifetime warranty...

I use the Vortex Pro GT Tripod. I like it, but it is a bit heavy. With that being said, the weight is helpful in the wind. Also don't take 406Life's comment about the lifetime warranty lightly. I have already used mine, I dropped it and busted up the head. Vortex didn't ask any questions and I had the parts I needed in a couple of days. I think it costs around $150.

I also just picked up the vortex summit. After talking to a very helpful employee at Sportsmans Warehouse for a while, I am convinced that the leg clipping mechanisms (as opposed to the twist-lock mechanisms) are unreliable. He explained that they start to slip, and over time, the gets worse. I was looking at the Vanguard Alta series (which are mostly the clips) and he convinced me that the twist locks were much better.

I don't have much experience with other tripods, though. That said, I am very happy with the summit.

Looking for recommendations on a new spotter tripod and costs

What size/weight of spotter? All tripod heads have weight limits that they'll be able to hold. For example the Vortex Summit SS-P worked great for my 50mm 24 oz spotter, but couldn't hold up my 65mm 48 oz spotter.

What size/weight of spotter? All tripod heads have weight limits that they'll be able to hold. For example the Vortex Summit SS-P worked great for my 50mm 24 oz spotter, but couldn't hold up my 65mm 48 oz spotter.

Thats a good point. The Summit is also made more for packing than lugging around in a truck. Mine pulls double duty. Also, FWIW, the hook on the middle of the tripod is for adding weight to adds stability; I just use my pack when its needed.

The Sirui T-025X with T-10 head is a pretty light tripod but supports loads up to 13.2 pounds while weighing less than 2 lbs. I've used it for several years and seems like a pretty good tripod.

I also just picked up the vortex summit. After talking to a very helpful employee at Sportsmans Warehouse for a while, I am convinced that the leg clipping mechanisms (as opposed to the twist-lock mechanisms) are unreliable. He explained that they start to slip, and over time, the gets worse. I was looking at the Vanguard Alta series (which are mostly the clips) and he convinced me that the twist locks were much better.

I don't have much experience with other tripods, though. That said, I am very happy with the summit.
I have an Alta series. That salesman is full of it. mtmuley

I personally steer away from twist locks, had to many fail on tripods and shooting sticks. Snap locks seem IMHO to hold up way better. I have a vortex high country right now. Not bad not great but serviceable. Hasn’t yet let me down.

keep an eye on the slik sale tab on their page, they have been closing out "old" models. I just bought a 724 for $162 a couple weeks ago.

this would make for a great setup if you need a head as well. A deal popped up for me for an extra 10% off the first order.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Alta series. That salesman is full of it. mtmuley

Could be. I'll keep it in mind if the twist locks on the summit become a disappointment down the road. One negative comment I have right away with the summit is that the head sucks. I bought a nikon window mount. I am going to tap a piece of machined aluminum that will screw on to the summit tripod and serve as an adaptor for the nikon window mount so that I don't have to switch heads.

Could be. I'll keep it in mind if the twist locks on the summit become a disappointment down the road. One negative comment I have right away with the summit is that the head sucks. I bought a nikon window mount. I am going to tap a piece of machined aluminum that will screw on to the summit tripod and serve as an adaptor for the nikon window mount so that I don't have to switch heads.

The different mounting bases between tripod and window mount are a pita for sure. I have separate tripods for my chrono and rifle range scope. My hunting spotter has it's own tripod. Wish I could have a universal base. To the op, my Alta 233AO is rock solid with a 65mm. It holds 6 lbs. mtmuley

Spending extra money on a tripod/head is worth it IMO. I didnt break the bank too bad and love my set up for many reasons; weight, twist locks (no noise like levers make), micro pan head, I can glass standing, etc.

-ProMaster Professional XC525C Carbon Fiber Tripod ($300) weighs 2 lbs 12 ounces
-Outdoorsmans micro pan head ($330) and weighs 7.5 ounces

I run my Vortex Razor HD 10x42s along with a Vortex Razor HD spotter 11-33x50 and they work well. My next purchase would be a 65mm spotter and the micro pan head can handle those as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back