Looking for suggestions

bpitt

My father-in-law (68) and I are looking for suggestions. He's been an avid turkey hunter most of his life, but has never turkey hunted outside of Mississippi. He mentioned the other day that he'd love to, at least once, go on a turkey hunt out west. I was looking for somewhere I could take him for a week, do some turkey hunting, and maybe catch a trout as well, on the flyrod. I see that Nebraska has some public land with turkeys, as well as some trout in certain areas. I was also looking at the Black Hills region of South Dakota, as well as the Black Hills of Wyoming. Is there anywhere else I should be considering? Again, just want to take the ol' guy out there to hear and maybe bag a turkey and snag a trout. Are there other states I should consider? Looking for spring recommendations.

My father-in-law (68) and I are looking for suggestions. He's been an avid turkey hunter most of his life, but has never turkey hunted outside of Mississippi. He mentioned the other day that he'd love to, at least once, go on a turkey hunt out west. I was looking for somewhere I could take him for a week, do some turkey hunting, and maybe catch a trout as well, on the flyrod. I see that Nebraska has some public land with turkeys, as well as some trout in certain areas. I was also looking at the Black Hills region of South Dakota, as well as the Black Hills of Wyoming. Is there anywhere else I should be considering? Again, just want to take the ol' guy out there to hear and maybe bag a turkey and snag a trout. Are there other states I should consider? Looking for spring recommendations.
Check out CO they have some real healthy populations of turkeys in certain areas and not to tough to get a hunt close to world class fishing. They have both fall and spring seasons for flexibility of scheduling as well. Good luck sounds like a real fun trip to plan.

You didn't say what kind of shape he's in. 2000' is high elevation compare to the MS I know about. Out in CO you might be after turkeys at several times that. Same elsewhere.

If NE counts as out West, maybe semiguided on a ranch in TX does too. Then continue on further for trout.

It is not out west but don’t over look the east coast for trout and turkeys. The caliber of fishing won’t be the same but the turkey hunting can be excellent. North Carolina comes to mind but PLENTY of other states can offer trout and turkeys.

You didn't say what kind of shape he's in. 2000' is high elevation compare to the MS I know about. Out in CO you might be after turkeys at several times that. Same elsewhere.

If NE counts as out West, maybe semiguided on a ranch in TX does too. Then continue on further for trohe's

If NE counts as out West, maybe semiguided on a ranch in TX does too. Then continue on further for trout.
He's not in too bad of shape, for his age. He can walk on flat land a fair distance, and can stand for most of the day. He can't climb a mountain, for sure.

It is not out west but don’t over look the east coast for trout and turkeys. The caliber of fishing won’t be the same but the turkey hunting can be excellent. North Carolina comes to mind but PLENTY of other states can offer trout and turkeys.
And to be honest. During the spring the fishing might be a little better east because your not dealing with runoff. I’ve also fished east and west and east has wayyyyy bigger trout on average. They don’t fight the same but some big boys around.

Assuming public land is desired for hubting. AR is famous for trout. (Not that I would know first hand.) OK to hunt. AR is on the way to OK. OK Rios are at higher elevation, but it is only noticeable in the weather, and do not require mountain climbing.

My vote goes to Nebraska for turkey. Then come to Wyoming for trout.

Checkout the Pine Ridge area of NE if you’re serious. I’m from VA & it was worth the drive and will be going back again. You will see a ton of “turkey hunters” on the road & in town but don’t let that bother you. We had a blast & the terrain is not terrible to get around on. It’s a cheap hunt and worth every penny IMHO.

Dwarshack reservoir near orofino Idaho is loaded (not sure I spelled it correctly). Also the fishing can be spectacular. It is one of my go to put of state spots.

Lots of big dumb turkeys in California, plenty of birds to hunt also.
Seriously, Northern CA has tons of birds and the weather is usually pleasant. Three birds a season, no tags required. Met a guy a few seasons ago from Louisiana who was blown away by the quality of hunting here.

Dwarshack reservoir near orofino Idaho is loaded (not sure I spelled it correctly). Also the fishing can be spectacular. It is one of my go to put of state spots.
He aint lying...lots of birds and if you cant find a trout around there you aint trying

Nope. No turkeys in Idaho. Used to be some when I was a kid, but they’re long gone now.

I hear the Big Sky state has tons of birds. No better trout fishing than the Three Forks area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back