Looking for Pheasant Hunting destination recommendations

jeff_gibbons

I want to make a classic wild pheasant hunting trip. Have been google searching outfits that offer trips in South Dakota. Really appreciate the knowledge within this group and would like to learn from first hand experience. No DIY here. Time is too short so will need to fly in and have turn-key experience. Thanks for all suggestions offered.

I'm no help here, but I'm curious what people say. I'd love to meet up with my dad for a pheasant hunt somewhere that we can really get into them.

I see Rooster Ridge Lodge come up as one of the high dollar destinations. It's in Chamberlain, SD. I know nothing about it other than that. Looking to do my first DIY pheasant hunt this fall to SD.

If you want 5 star, Firesteel Creek Lodge. Their guest kennels are nicer than some hotels I’ve stayed at to hunt. It’s amazing.

Should have a good population if the rest of winter and spring hold out. Game and fish should send out a report before season as well. Good luck.

If you want 5 star, Firesteel Creek Lodge. Their guest kennels are nicer than some hotels I’ve stayed at to hunt. It’s amazing.
Looks like you need to have FU money to afford it. They're sure proud of their hunting and facilities.

I don't have any recommendations for specific outfits, but you're at least looking in the correct state!

I want to make a classic wild pheasant hunting trip. Have been google searching outfits that offer trips in South Dakota. Really appreciate the knowledge within this group and would like to learn from first hand experience. No DIY here. Time is too short so will need to fly in and have turn-key experience. Thanks for all suggestions offered.
Following this thread as I am also looking for the same information.

Looks like you need to have FU money to afford it. They're sure proud of their hunting and facilities.
Justifiably.

And it’s not just the facilities and food and beverage, though those are memorable. The amount they spend on habitat improvement and feed plots is staggering.

classic wild pheasant hunting trip
If you're limiting your hunt to pheasants only hatched in the wild as multi-generational versus released pheasants, then opportunities may be fewer.
Pheasants are not native species and most good hunting results from releasing pheasants onto the landscape.

Justifiably.

And it’s not just the facilities and food and beverage, though those are memorable. The amount they spend on habitat improvement and feed plots is staggering.
Habitat and feed plots is irrelevant when they release birds for every group mulitple times per year. 90% of outfits in SD cannot sustain wild bird populations for the duration of the year and you're hunting planted birds.

It is not SD...but I can help you with a DIY MN or IA hunt for wild birds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231229_134122_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231229_134122_Gallery.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20231215_140256.jpg
    20231215_140256.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6378(1).jpg
    IMG_6378(1).jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 16
  • FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8578.jpg
    IMG_8578.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 16
Habitat and feed plots is irrelevant when they release birds for every group mulitple times per year. 90% of outfits in SD cannot sustain wild bird populations for the duration of the year and you're hunting planted birds.
200,000 private acres gives options for their hunters to reduce pressure. They do also now have a small preserve for the option of hunting released birds if that’s of interest.

Check out Coteau View Hunts and Kennels LLC. I did their self guided option back in October and was very impressed by their habitat and bird numbers. They do guided hunts as well. For the few days I was there, all the clients were limited out by noon. They seem to have a lot of repeat customers. Close to Aberdeen so logistical easy to get to. Will be going back next year.

If you want some high end options, I have been to a few others with my father in law, but 3 day hunt generally runs 6-8k per person.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back