Looking for ideas

Therightbull

my brother and I should draw archery elk tag for co. 66 we have hunted elk in co before so have a little experience looking for any information or someone to point in direction

Should be a fun hunt.. my buddy has a cabin in 66.. get high and go deep you will have a good archery hunt.

I would follow the high and deep advise, but I'd also not start my hunt untill last 10-12 days of season That's if your limited in time.Its not a trophy unit so don't expect a bunch of 300+" bulls to be running around and have unrealistic expectations
I don't think success rates are real high so keep that in mind.I looked at this unit and 49 a couple years back and chose 49.I am looking at 66 for a 2nd season hunt in a year or two.Looking over maps of it, there seems to be plenty of spots to lose crowds.Call local biologist for advise/starting points in archery.Colorado website also has summer and winter range concentrations marked along with migration routes.Study those maps and get away from roads/trails and you shouldn't have trouble finding elk.If it's anything like 49, there weren't many dead areas

If you only have a week,go the last week.Some like to go early but that's more spot and stalk.You can call them in early.Calling for me always works best after the 15th and seems to get better each day.Have a few areas picked out on your maps.The elk seem to get wise to calling after a few days.At that point, I switch locations to chase different elk.Ive never been able to call in the same bull twice.Others have luck with that but I havent

I've hunted 66 archery. If I were you I would spend some time figuring out where outfitters put camps because some places that look great that are miles deep will have a nice big white wall tent (or two) with a bunch of dudes in it. I would also be planning on hunting in a place where you can actually extract an elk before it spoils. The elk in 66 are in places that many guys couldn't get an elk out without significant help. Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks for info I've hunted 80 several times and usually start opening day or shortly after usually seeing, but not much response to calls, like you said more spot n stock, decided to put in for 66 with 8pt. won't be able to catch 76 but really don't know much about it ,and what it will take to get one out hear a lot of people lease horses

Know what you never see on forums? A newb posting, "Hi all, I'm new, and wanted to tell everyone where I hunt. My best honey hole is..."

View attachment 103499
Hey folks I’m new to HT for a list of my honey holes just shoot me a message for Nebraska Illinois Missouri and Utah, touch back this fall for report on Idaho and Colorado, next year for Arizona Montana

8 points for archery in 66? I guess people are dumping their points after CO mandatory license purchase.

There are other units with better and easier access to elk hunting. Very steep country in the La Garita and most effective hunted with horses or outfitted camps. I would not use 8 points for a archery tag there.

Think it takes 5-6 pts to guarantee an archery tag there.I don't think he's wasting to much.And realistically,he's in no man's land with 8 points
I'll be done with Colorado in a few years after I dump mine and my son's points.Ill roll the dice with NM from now on.Prefer the way they set up their draws.Plus the hunting is far superior there

This may be my last time in co. Those mtns getting pretty rough will just be the 2 of us so probably have to work something out with horses to get one out

What maps would you guys recommend I've heard a lot of people like geographic if you can get it for certain areas

Hunted 1st season back in 2003 and were successful filling 2 tags. We hunted at timberline which was a 1.5 hour hike from where we camped, but was an all downhill pack out. Most all the elk we saw were higher. Would be a tough archery hunt in more open areas, but I would guess you could catch the elk moving down into the timber to bed for the day.

Welcome from MS! That unit is some pretty country. It is definitely steep but there are elk in there if you work for them.

For maps I use Onx and DIYHuntingMaps. Thats plenty enough for me.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back