Looking for ideas

bhuntin

I'm looking for ideas for a hunt for this fall and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. So here are the things that factor into the hunt. I am a father of two kids, the oldest of which is 3, so given mommy will be home with the kids by herself limits my time to do the hunt to 4-5days which includes travel time. I could care less what I hunt (deer, antelope, elk, ect) buck or doe doesn't really matter. Looking for fun adventure and or see some cool country. Weapon is not a big issue either bow, gun, or muzzel loader. I would say that I'm in fairly good shape so difficulty of country should not be an issue. Like most people here I really enjoy hunting public land so I'm not looking for an outfitter hunt. The dates I'm looking at are Nov 1-5 or Nov 13-20.

I used to live in CO so I've done elk and mule deer out there before and I've also done SD archery in grasslands. One hunt I'm concidering is going to UP of MI to hunt Porkupine Mts as I've never hunted big woods.

Like I said I'm looking more for fun adventure than big antlers on the wall. Thanks for any ideas.

With those dates, and needing a left-over tag, I would be looking at deer in MT, or whitetails in NE Wyoming. Not sure how far of a drive that is for you.

What about heading south for a hog hunt. May be able to take the whole family depending on where you go. May cost a little more for a lodge or plantation but the license is usually reasonable.

Also, if you are farther east, a big woods hunt in Maine is pretty reasonable. I was never successful but the size of the great north woods is almost overwhelming.

bhuntin,let us know some more details including where your at and i bet you get some real solid advice here!

C

I'm considering snatching up a Wyoming Region X leftover deer tag. I've never hunted that part of Wyoming, but from my initial research it seems it could be decent if snow hits the high country and pushes the deer down. Season runs through 11/10 in most of the units.

Not to steal this thread but what is the cost of the Montana license? It says elk combination and deer combination?

Sorry I forgot to add in my location. I live in south central Wisconsin. I've done plenty of whitetail hunting in the farmland type of country so I'm looking for something other than that. I've never done a big woods type of hunt but our deer numbers are so low in the northern part of the state that I would rather go somewhere else. I have also been toying with the idea of taking a canoe down the lower Wisconsin river to hunt some of the vast public land and islands there during the bow season.

I like the idea of an out of state hunt even if its just a doe tag just to explore new country for future hunts. I had in my head I would do an antelope doe tag in WY but clearly that is out the window this year.

Mudranger1 best I can tell its $592 and $75 for a OTC B tag. I have found the MT FWP website less than user friendly compared to some other states. Probably best to just call and get that one answered.

I would say that east MT or WY would be about as far I could drive given my time restraints.

Thanks everyone for your input so far, I really appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back