Looking for great areas to spot and stalk bear in Wyoming

Reddevil7292

Hi my name's Josh. I'm wondering what the best area in Wyoming to spot and stalk public lands . I've tried over the last three years with no success. Hoping to get a few tips from fellow Wyoming hunters. Or maybe someone who would be willing to take me out

Little advice, no one is going to give you their spot, or take you out. But if you provide a bit of detail into where you have gone (mountain ranges not trail heads) and then talk about your tactics, I'm sure a number of members would be glad to provide you with some advice and possibly PM you about a specific area they have found bears in the areas in which you have already hunted.

Where do you live? I'd cross off the Snowy Range. I'll probably get a tag and hunt the Snowies, but just because I live close and I'm already recreating there anyways. There are bears, but spot and stalk would be more difficult than in the NW corner or Bighorns.

Hey reddevil,
I do not know where you are from or your experience level etc, but I was in sort of the same boat as you. I live in Iowa where we do not have bears. I've taken two trips to Idaho in the past year with zero success. This is not to say that we did not have fun or anything like that, but if you are looking to do a DIY hunt, on a animal you've never hunted before, in a place that you've never been before, get ready for some serious learning curves. I'm not saying that to be negative or to sway your decision at all, just realize how much the odds are stacked against you. It is not impossible. I've been to Wyoming on an elk hunt and was successful on the first try. Just know that it is very tough to go and have the high success rates in an area you've never been.

I have since booked a hunt for a black bear in Northern Manitoba. I've never done a guided hunt, but after two trips to Idaho I could have just done a guided hunt for the same price. We will see how it goes. I'm sure I'll try DIY again, but if it goes well I'll be going guided most times.

Hey reddevil,
I do not know where you are from or your experience level etc, but I was in sort of the same boat as you. I live in Iowa where we do not have bears. I've taken two trips to Idaho in the past year with zero success. This is not to say that we did not have fun or anything like that, but if you are looking to do a DIY hunt, on a animal you've never hunted before, in a place that you've never been before, get ready for some serious learning curves. I'm not saying that to be negative or to sway your decision at all, just realize how much the odds are stacked against you. It is not impossible. I've been to Wyoming on an elk hunt and was successful on the first try. Just know that it is very tough to go and have the high success rates in an area you've never been.

I have since booked a hunt for a black bear in Northern Manitoba. I've never done a guided hunt, but after two trips to Idaho I could have just done a guided hunt for the same price. We will see how it goes. I'm sure I'll try DIY again, but if it goes well I'll be going guided most times.
I agree. It can be tough even for someone that has a fair amount bear experience that isnt spot and stalk. I have wanted to do a guided Canadian hunt some time, but I definitely couldnt touch it for the price I go out west for.

Jake from State Farm told me that there's millions of bears in CO, and WY borders Co, so................................

I agree. It can be tough even for someone that has a fair amount bear experience that isnt spot and stalk. I have wanted to do a guided Canadian hunt some time, but I definitely couldnt touch it for the price I go out west for.

It is definitely cheaper to go DIY. It's kind of what you want out of it though I think. I personally do not get a lot of time off of work, so when I go I want to have a lot of it figured out for me. If I get to go once a year or every couple years I'd like to maximize my experience. That's the reason I'm trying guided.
I'm going in the middle of May, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. There are supposedly some real monsters up there. I'm very excited.

It is definitely cheaper to go DIY. It's kind of what you want out of it though I think. I personally do not get a lot of time off of work, so when I go I want to have a lot of it figured out for me. If I get to go once a year or every couple years I'd like to maximize my experience. That's the reason I'm trying guided.
I'm going in the middle of May, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. There are supposedly some real monsters up there. I'm very excited.
Not to hijack the post. But I want to see if it's like every video I have ever seen, where you get to see bears all day. Where I hunt in Minnesota a great day would be 3 or 4 bears in a day. Do keep me posted I'd be interested in how it goes.

Last edited:
I would gues that it's kinda like Iowa Whitetails on tv,.. Shhh, there ain't a 160" deer behind every other tree even though they lead you to believe so. I'm betting there is a ton of "tape" burned to get an episode or film put together.

Where do you live? I'd cross off the Snowy Range. I'll probably get a tag and hunt the Snowies, but just because I live close and I'm already recreating there anyways. There are bears, but spot and stalk would be more difficult than in the NW corner or Bighorns.
You can find bears in the Snowies, we see them and sign every year elk hunting. Spot ans stalk would be hard though.

I saw that you replied to this thread and it would be of no help to the OP.

Anyways I would check out some of the stuff NW of Bondurant if I was looking for a high country spring bear
Thks anhah
I read the title and knew this would be your first post.

Good luck.
Thanks I really do appreciate it. I hunt antelope ,mule dear and elk every year and I've tryed adding bear to the list but so far that hasn't happened. Not for lack of effort though. So I really do appreciate all the advice and will take all that anyone is willing to share.

You can find bears in the Snowies, we see them and sign every year elk hunting. Spot ans stalk would be hard though.
Thanks I'll look into the area soon when this snow starts to melt a little more. I don't like to sit when I hunt I spot and stalk everything haha . Its the only quiet time I get away from everyone during the year and I like to Soak up as much of the Wyoming nature I can .

I'm in Casper. Im leaning towards grey river if I can find a good area to boot .quota this year for that area and areas surrounding is 24 if I'm not mistaken so it's pretty high . Has to mean population is good .

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back