Caribou Gear

Looking for good recipe for venison roast.

Mikeflies

I'm looking for a good recipe for a venison roast. I would like a slow cooking process that would take some of the toughness out of the meat & make it almost like a pot roast. Any recipe's would be nice. Thank you for your time & God Bless.

Here is our favorite. Put roast in pot. Pour some olive oil, vinegar ( meat tenderizer) over meat, just to coat. Add a little Worchestier (sp?) sauce, about a couple of tablespoons worth. Also, add whole cloves and stick them to the meat. Here and there, just like your hunting jacket going through some stickers or if you have ground cloves, lightly dust. Add carrots, onions and potatoes. Add salt and pepper as well. Fill pot 3/4 to full with water. Slow cook all day on stove top to a simmer. Just enough to keep the pot lid dancing a little but not spilling over on to the stove.

Then recipe#2

Same as above but using lipton onion soup mix instead of oil, vinegar, cloves, worchestier sauce, salt pepper.

Recipe #3

Get yourself some good rib run seasoning and give the roast a good rubbin. Fill pot with 3/4 water and slow cook all day. Same as above. Drain water and shred roast beef. Add BBQ sauce for some of the best BBQ sandwiches out there. I prefer Original Famous Daves.

All 3 recipes also work very well with Canada Goose breasts instead of Roast.

I do this with a whole shoulder and it comes out fall off the bone tender...

line a large pan with aluminum foil and spray it with non stick spray
rub the shoulder with salt pepper and garlic or whatever other seasonings you like
place the shoulder in the pan along with carrots and onions and celery and potatoes
add liquid to the pan. I've used beer before, but chicken stock works awesome
pull the foil together over the shoulder and veggies and wrap it as tight as you can
put it in a 250 degree oven for 6 to 8 hours

Brown the roast in a skillet with salt and pepper. Put in a crockpot with equal amounts of beef consumme and golden mushroom soup, don't add water. Two or three cans each. Cook all day. You can add carrots, green beans, onions, whatever you like. Serve with mash potatoes or wide egg noodles.

Firstly, why is your venison tough?
Do you hang it long enough?
Between 1-3 weeks should do it it according to taste.

Back to cooking, we use a slow cooker for the cheapest cuts of beef, pork venison etc
Takes about 6-8 hours and all it uses is the same power as a electric bulb.

Cheers

Richard

For us non resident hunters we are lucky if our animals hang for a couple of days. I had a processor in CO run all my steaks through a tenderizer. They were some of the best venison steaks I ever ate and it only hung for a day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back