Looking for direction

mxracer317

Just got a black lab puppy. I’ve never grown up hunting any birds.

I’d love to learn how to hunt pheasant, ducks, geese and grouse with my new dog. I’m sure that I can find countless places to send her off to school, but where do I learn myself?

Buy a book or the water dog dvd s

get that dog hunting with successful dogs asap.

One thing I do is drop things on purpose to make loud noise when they are a puppy to start getting them over fear of loud noises. Especially when they are eating. My biggest fear has always been a gun shy dog as I had one when I was a kid.

Labs pretty much come ready to go right out of the chute. My sixth one is now seven years old. They are lovely dogs even if you don't hunt them. Just work on obedience and they will do the rest. I've always let mine break on the shot when hunting uplands because crippled pheasants and Huns can disappear so fast (never hunted chukars but I suspect the same is true for them). They are also allowed to break on shot when I'm goose hunting but that's because my setup is somewhat unique and safely allows for it. For "conventional" waterfowl hunting, especially if more than one hunter, it's probably best that the dog stays put until released.

I have never used a book to train my dogs. Never needed to with Labs. But I had my dad around to start me in the right direction. The above suggestions will likely be very helpful for you.

Sounds like you also have a lot to learn about bird hunting. This is a great place for advice. I was briefly on another gun dog forum that was dominated and moderated by pointing dog people. It was not terribly friendly for retreiver or flushing dog folks. You will get a good cross section here. My experience anyway. Good luck. Looking forward to progress reports and photos.20221103_170202.jpg

I’m reading the OP to ask more about learning to hunt birds than dog training. Orvis published a guide to wingshooting by Reid Bryant that is excellent for that purpose.

Learn what your dog desires for praise.

Your tone, demeanor and treatment should be all that it takes.

Most of what she does, is all hand controls with me. We’re as silent with each other as can be. Even her asking to be taken outside. She’s never worn a shock collar and chest rubs and telling her “good girl” is what she craves.

She even took care of me when I got sick yesterday and was throwing up. She knew to get me out of the truck before I did.

For upland game, I just scent a dummy and drag it around out of her sight. Hide it and ask her to go find it.

58E2851A-E182-46A6-B55F-11008B6DBCC9.jpeg

An old bird dog trainer once told me that a good trainer spends as much time teaching the hunter how to handle a dog than teaching the dog how to hunt. Get the most out of your new hunting buddy and invest in professional training for the both of you.

I got my first gun dog April 2021, also a lab.

I followed along with Standing Stone Kennels YouTube videos, and it has worked out really well (so far).

There's a playlist for Sprig, a lab, and it goes through training progression pretty well.

There's lot of good resources mentioned above...this is just one more I found very helpful.

I started off worse than not knowing anything. I knew the wrong things. For example, yelling "COME" when your dog is ripping off the other way and you have no control over it just serves to teach it that it doesn't have to come if it doesn't want to. We did that a LOT to our dogs growing up.

I mixed and matched info for training my dog... but to be honest, watching a fair bit of the dog whisperer I picked up basic dog psychology understanding and I liked Tom Dokken's Complete Retriever book for some hunting bits.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back