Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Looking for CO 2nd or 3rd Rifle Season OTC Elk Camp/Group

SPDSpappy

I've been doing a ton of research via YouTube, HuntTalk, books, UEH, FB, etc. to go for my first western hunt. I've been hunting whitetail for 5 or 6 years in IL and OH and I've been to Scotland for red stag as my 40th birthday present last year (my avatar), but I've never hunted out west. None of my deer/turkey hunting buddies are ready to try for elk and have enough leave. As people have mentioned in other threads, my wife is extremely concerned about me heading out west to camp/hunt by myself. I spent 7 years as a scout leader and have done a ton of camping, but never backpacked my stuff in. I'm looking for a group to camp with so someone knows every night if I've made it back and to bounce ideas off of. I have almost all necessary gear already purchased (binos, spotting scope, backpack, mountain boots, clothing, rifle, etc.), and I'm renting the stuff I haven't yet (4-season tent and inReach). I prefer to go with someone who has had some success so we're not like 2 blind mice out there. I plan to get out there a couple days ahead of season to scout and will be there until the season ends, or we've tagged out. I'm a computer engineer, but also an avid outdoorsman (Corey Jacobsen is also an engineer BTW, so don't judge ;) ). I'm looking at either GMU 591 on Ft. Carson (I have a CAC) or 82 as they have the best chances for success in CO based on goHunt. I have goHunt and OnXMaps subscriptions for research and e-scouting.

Thanks!
Dave

I wish I could help. I'll be hunting out there next year but not this year. Good luck!

BTW I'm also a computer engineer!

I wish I could help. I'll be hunting out there next year but not this year. Good luck!

BTW I'm also a computer engineer!

Hopefully, I'll make this a normal occurrence!

What is it w/ engineers being hunters? Maybe because we're bullheaded and don't give up? ;)

I wish I could but I've already used a good portion of my VaCa on other hunting trips this year.

Wishing you the best of success on those trips! I'm hoping I can get an elk early so I can use some of the vacation time for whitetail hunting during the rut here in the Midwest. I'm on the fence if I really should be spending 2 weeks of my vacation time on one hunting trip.

Wishing you the best of success on those trips! I'm hoping I can get an elk early so I can use some of the vacation time for whitetail hunting during the rut here in the Midwest. I'm on the fence if I really should be spending 2 weeks of my vacation time on one hunting trip.

We spent 9 days out in the NW corner of CO last year. It was my first time hunting out west. I can't imagine you ever regretting hunting there and can't think of many things better to use the vacation time on.

I used two weeks in Feb. this year to go hunt Texas hogs, that was a pretty good trip now I took a week in Oct. to go chase Montana black bear. I'm on the trend of using all my VaCa on hunting.

If you’re thinking about a return trip next year keep me in mind. I usually hunt 80, but this year I’m headed to Wyoming.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back