Looking for any sort of bowhunting tips for California A and B zone blacktails.

Bhb22398

Hello everyone, I'll try and keep this fairly short and to the point. I am currently a college student, living in central California. I grew up bowhunting whitetails on private land back east, and am currently at a loss as to how blacktails move (or don't) during the day. I am situated next to the Santa Lucia wilderness in San Luis Obispo. I plan on hunting an AO tag until I either tag out, or the season ends. With no real access or ties to anyone with private land, I was hoping that I could get some tips on hunting blacktails this summer and fall. Any sort of advice will do, especially valuable is info on deer behavior, good public land for hunting, types of cover they like, or even gear. I plan on spending a full week backpacking somewhere in B zone, and will have weekends off to hunt anywhere that I like in south A zone. No advice is too small, thanks.

Last edited:
A zone archery on public is tough because of how early in the year it takes place but there are deer to be had. I think Archery starts like a week or two out there. The amount of hunters on public land in A zone makes you question the declining Hunter numbers. But your best bet to be on the mountain before the sun comes up and try to glass them before they bed down for the day.

Hello everyone, I'll try and keep this fairly short and to the point. I am currently a 4th year college student, living in central California. I grew up bowhunting whitetails on private land in Georgia, and am currently at a loss as to how blacktails move (or don't) during the day. I am situated next to the Santa Lucia wilderness in San Luis Obispo, and my buddy and I plan on hunting an AO tag until we either tag out, or the season ends. With no real access or ties to anyone with private land, I was hoping that I could get some tips on hunting blacktails this summer and fall. Any sort of advice will do, especially valuable is info on deer behavior, good public land for hunting, types of cover they like, or even gear. I plan on spending a full week backpacking somewhere in B zone, and will have weekends off to hunt anywhere that I like in south A zone. No advice is too small, thanks.

I'll be hunting in C zone "if" I go back this year but as far as B zones look to the Trinity Alps, Yolla Bolly, and Snow Mountain wilderness areas. Get as far back in as you feel comfortable packing something out in the heat (H-E-A-T). Use your glass more than your boots once you get there and take a bear tag as you'll see plenty. Good luck to you, your chances are pretty decent if you've got patience and lungs!

Im going to check out D5 up past Arnold with my AO tag last weekend of August. I got a couple spots lined up from a local that I was super grateful for. Going to grab a bear tag as well as Marv pointed out cause I hear you’ll see a few in the Sierras

I've only hunted the very north end of A zone in the Mendocino NF. Lots of public land with moderate populations of deer. The closer to the ocean the cooler it gets. Hunted the Jackson State forest a couple of days many years ago - in the Redwoods and cooler - but another hour of driving, so I've been hunting north of Clearlake instead, were it is hotter.
Large public areas east of Clearlake - Cache Creek and several others. Highway 20 cuts through the entire north area of zone A.
You might try areas closer to the ocean.

Last edited:
Lots of public land from the SF Bay North, 1,500sqmi IIRC for A zone, and many more for B. If you are targeting both A and B I would work the borders between them. Also target the Ranch Fire/Mendocino Complex fire from 2018. A massive amount of area was burned and much of what I've been into is looking awesome from a habitat perspective. Certainly some hard scorched chaparral, but lots of lower intensity burn areas higher up and on north slopes.

Lots of public land from the SF Bay North, 1,500sqmi IIRC for A zone, and many more for B. If you are targeting both A and B I would work the borders between them. Also target the Ranch Fire/Mendocino Complex fire from 2018. A massive amount of area was burned and much of what I've been into is looking awesome from a habitat perspective. Certainly some hard scorched chaparral, but lots of lower intensity burn areas higher up and on north slopes.
Thanks for the info. I’ll look into this when I head home towards Sonoma next weekend .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back