Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Looking for advice on first elk hunt

bts09

Hey everybody,

I'm gonna take the elk plunge next year for the first time. I did public land antelope last year and will again this year. I've never hunted elk. I don't know how to shoot a bow yet, so probably we're talking rifle season. I'm looking for thoughts on whether I should (1) do a cow hunt on a unit in Colorado or Wyoming (which are easier to draw) or (2) do an OTC bull hunt in Colorado or somewhere like Montana where it's easier to draw. Most important things to me are getting a feel for how to hunt elk and hopefully coming back with meat. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I dont know all the rifle regs but you may want to check into the green tags in Idaho esp. if a cow tag works for you the green tags are the ones to help with crop damage issues

I would definitely focus on an OTC unit in either Idaho or Colorado just so you don't have to deal with figuring out the draw stuff your first go around. That being said, you still have a lot of time to read up on both Montana and Wyoming general tags and can still buy a point for both right now for the drawing next year. Trying to look for a place with a long season and put your priority on spending quality time in the woods and you won't be disappointed.

In my opinion you should consider that cow hunt. Those OTC hunts are super difficult for a first time elk hunter. Newberg has trouble on that hunt in Colorado and he's a professional hunter. Start building points in Arizona and Wyoming for a quality bull tag. In the meantime the cow hunt should be a learning experience for the future.

Cow hunt, since your completely green on elk hunting. With that being said, put in for a bull tag, might get lucky and draw. Also, dont get wrapped up in the," I've got to kill something, for this to be successful ".
Like all hunting, there is a learning curve too hunting a new species.
I would put in for Wyoming general and Montana, if you draw awesome, if not, do OTC or cow hunt. Just my opinion.

Pick a place and have fun. A few ways to have fun without even seeing elk (I'm an experience Colorado Bowhiker) are having good boots that keep your feet dry and good glass that you don't mind sitting behind for a long time.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back