Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Looking for advice about Shooting Sticks

F250

My wife and I will be hunting deer and elk in Utah this fall. While we have hunted the west a number of times, we have never used shooting sticks. Do you guys use them ? What brand do you use ? Do you like the mono pod, bi pod, or tri pod ? What about Trigger Sticks ?

I use the collapsible shooting sticks from Stoney Point. I've not found a shooting aid that works well as a hiking stick and I don't find the monopods to be all that helpful.

I like the stoney point models that are removable. That way you can still keep you gun in a regular scabbard/case/backpack. They make all sizes of 2 and 3 leg models from prone to standing as well as a rear stock support that fits on the tripod.

I use the trigger sticks bipod model and they work great for me, I got the wife the tri pod model as she needs a steadier rest, I have also used mine as a walking stick

I have the Tripod Trigger Stick. It's nice because it doubles as a tripod for your spotting scope. It is a little heavy, but is good to use as a walking stick in steep terrain.

I've used the harris bi-pod with good results. Great stability but a little cumbersome. It fits just fine in my Eberlestock scabbards if i want to stuff it in there.
I've also used the snipe pod system and like it too. very light and can be carried on your belt like a knife. The monopods usually don't do much for any longer range shooting.
I'd try a couple different options and see what you like before purchasing.

I prefer having the three legs to two. I use a Bog Pod and have tried the Harris and other shooting sticks. I do not like the weight/balance issues that come with the gun-attached sticks. The three legs are far more easy to get a firm rest on.

I have used both Bipods and Sticks for sitting height, and 2 legged sticks for standing. I cannot shoot well with 2 legged sticks for standing. I prefer bipods for sitting. The long Harris are my favorite. If you are certain that you will have to shoot from sitting or higher positions, get some variety of tripod/tripod mount. If you can shoot from the prone, shoot from the prone.

Just my $.02

Primos trigger sticks, tri pod works best in my opinion. a little bit heavy but you can set up quick even on steep angles

Love the Harris bipods myself... laying down with them is where my accuracy is best. But I can extend them out to kneel or sit to shoot as well.

I quit using sticks. Just too much trouble to lug around. I prefer to use my pack as a rest. If its a really long shot and waiting on a bedded animal to stand, I can always find something to make a rest. Last season, I made a rest for my wife out of some mahogany deadfall for her to wait out on a mule deer. She sat there for 90 minutes waiting on him to stand.

Attachments

• 051 small.jpg
    051 small.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 054 small.jpg
    054 small.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 190
I like the Stoney Point sticks. A bipod just messes with the balance of my rifle. sometimes I have to backtrack because I've left the sticks behind, there doesn't seem to be a great way to carry them. I have a broken pair in the garage as they are not made super strong, I'm keeping it thinking I can use one half of it to mend the next break.

Or, if one of you guys has a broken set I'll mail it to you.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back