Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Looking for a White Tail

NV_ARCH3R

I've been lucky and have gotten Mule Deer, Elk, Black Bear, Antelope, and Javelina. My next target is a White Tail. I'm in North East Nevada, and looking for something reasonably close. A friend of mine invited me up to the Idaho Falls, Backfoot area in Idaho. Anyone know this region. Public land availability, or mostly private. Reasonable chance of harvesting, etc. OTC tags or permit hunts.

I am in the same boat. One place that I am interested in and my daughter has hunted on a youth doe tag is South Dakota. There are white tails all over, and the WT specific tags are easier to draw.

I think next year may be the year I do it.

I am in the same boat. One place that I am interested in and my daughter has hunted on a youth doe tag is South Dakota. There are white tails all over, and the WT specific tags are easier to draw.

I think next year may be the year I do it.

I would agree with you we have some pretty damn good Whitetail in South Dakota on both private and public land.

I got the hunt for you. I keep saying Im going to do it again but haven’t. Get the whitetail only tag and hunt unit 63A. You can hunt it during the rut in November. It’s a low desert, sage brush and lava rock hunt. There are a few river bottoms you can hunt as well but the desert is fun. It’s tough to find good glassing points since that desert has some deep pockets and not many tall points. I hunted it while in college and wish I would have discovered it before my last year up there. Like I said, I want to go back up and do it but haven’t had the time yet.

There are some really nice bucks in that unit and if you plan ahead you can apply for the extra doe tag.

Here’s my one and only whitetail shed that I have ever found and it was in 63A. I didn’t even know there where whitetail that big in the area since all I had ever seen were does and a few small bucks. After finding this shed is when I decided to hunt it. I found this buck two different times but couldn’t get a clear shot. One time I was 35 yards but had sage brush oboe the vitals.

Attachments

• 16E7EFEC-7959-43E9-8AEC-6CB6233521A3.jpeg
    16E7EFEC-7959-43E9-8AEC-6CB6233521A3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • ECF8F84A-3CAF-471F-A632-DC0DDD2BCF66.jpeg
    ECF8F84A-3CAF-471F-A632-DC0DDD2BCF66.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
See if Montana has left over deer tags, whitetails are the bastard child here. Pretty easy to get a decent buck here!

I got the hunt for you. I keep saying Im going to do it again but haven’t. Get the whitetail only tag and hunt unit 63A. You can hunt it during the rut in November. It’s a low desert, sage brush and lava rock hunt. There are a few river bottoms you can hunt as well but the desert is fun. It’s tough to find good glassing points since that desert has some deep pockets and not many tall points. I hunted it while in college and wish I would have discovered it before my last year up there. Like I said, I want to go back up and do it but haven’t had the time yet.

There are some really nice bucks in that unit and if you plan ahead you can apply for the extra doe tag.
So, I take it there is plenty of Public ground to hunt without having to rely on getting permission for private ground? Just looking at the White Tail distribution map on IDFG website 63A is where I was thinking about.

So, I take it there is plenty of Public ground to hunt without having to rely on getting permission for private ground? Just looking at the White Tail distribution map on IDFG website 63A is where I was thinking about.
Plenty of public land between the river and Hwy 55. It’s a lot like a desert spot and stalk mule deer hunt. The difference is you can rattle and grunt them in

These sort of things are getting more and more intriguing to me. Seems like there could some really good whitetail hunts out west while building elk/mule deer points somewhere.

These sort of things are getting more and more intriguing to me. Seems like there could some really good whitetail hunts out west while building elk/mule deer points somewhere.
There is a lot of opportunity for whitetail in the West. A great hunt to do on years you don’t draw.

Back