Looking for a spring black bear hunting partner.

Smoke- WOWZER, you've definitely been doing your homework while I've been gone. Take a short break and go bust a few squirrels for me! ;) Other than early archery season, I miss chasing both gray's and fox's through the hardwoods in SW IN. As of now those dates should work and I could easily swing 10 days off. How you planning on hunting? Knowing me, I'd bring the gear for a base camp and still have stuff to spike out for a few days.

1 Pointer,
I think in order to do it right, and get a nice bear, we will need to spike out. I did'nt know if I was gonna have someone to hunt with, so I was planing on hicking in a good ways and hicking in and out daily, and that kill's a lot of hunting time.
If we can set up a base camp, and then spike out a couple days at a time that would be great. I just got my maps in the mail last week, what a big help. I am thinking of starting around the thompson river area, hicking in about 5-6 miles and setting up base camp, and then spike out from there. As far as I can tell from the maps, that should put us in far enough to find some good bears, what do you think ?
1-Pointer please don't hold back, I am willing to work my a-- off for a nice bear, so if you know or have some where else to go let me know. I have been planing this for abouta year now, and I want to have the best chance possible, so hicking is no problem.
Also I have been talking to MontanaJoe, who lives in Montana, and I know that you said you live close to Montana, so you guy's know the area a lot better than I do, so if at all possible, all three of us need to get together and put our heads to work.
I can either give you a call, in the next week or so, and then maybe do the same with MTJoe, and see what we can come up with, just let me know what you think.
Talk to ya soon.
Hey Montana Joe meet 1-Pointer, I think the three of us could make this one hell of a hunt, maybe even something that could become a yearly hunt, but let me know what you think fellaws, look forward to talkin to ya soon.

Not that I'm terribly against hiking in and out daily, but that eats of TONS of time and energy. However, my idea of the base camp will be close/next to the trucks and then spiking out where we deem neccessary.

I don't know any other places to go, I just want to shoot a bear... :D Though he hasn't posted for a while, a guy on this site used to live in Thompson Falls so maybe I can get ahold of him.

Hey 1-Pointer,
I must of said it wrong, that is what I ment, was to have a base camp close to the trucks, and hick in about 4-5 miles and spend the day we hick in hunting, spike out for the night, hunt the next day,and then hick back to the trucks, and then try another area on the next round.
Plus don't get me wrong, I want to kill a bear as much as the next guy, and I want to spend as little time as possible hicking. As far as I can tell the area around Thompson river is a very good spot, so hopefuly we won't have to hick far, but any hicking is work.
Plus one thing we can't control is the weather, but no matter what once I am there, it's hunt on. I am gonna have the drive there, so it won't be turn around go home, and come back. Once I am there it's on, but when you get a min 1-Pointer, can you give me some tips on what all I will need to bring ?
I have the basic camping stuff, but being in the mountains is a hole other ballgame, so if I need something that most people don't have let me know!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back