Longer trips with higher mileage vehicles?

125,000 miles and I don't even think twice about taking 'er anywhere I want to go. Oregon, Colorado, Idaho, and Utah last season alone. She's never broke down, failed to start, been stuck, or left me stranded. :knock on wood: ;)

20181123_141920.jpg

I had a corolla that had 285k before someone hit and totaled it. Other than changing oil, i only ever had to replace the water pump on it.

I just went hunting with a guy with 303k on a 4 runner. He said he’s put brake pads on it and changed the oil. And if he drives it like we drove it that day, they weren’t easy miles.

Thing is with an older and/or higher mileage vehicle, things are going to fail, it's just a matter of when not if. My daily is a '97 Ford Ranger with way over 300k (odometer stopped working years ago). The manual tranny just went kaput last month, no warning at all.. a single clunk, then wouldn't come out of 4th gear. Fortunately junkyard trannys are cheap and I'm back in business with a low mileage unit out of a wreck. The rear differential grenaded last summer, same thing, now has an upgraded unit out of a newer truck.

Fortunately the worst failure I've had far from home is an AC leak and a few flat tires. That's been in my wife's Durango, which has been reliable but now has about 150k on the clock.

Now on some hunts, I do rent a car and take. Last year on my Coues hunt in AZ, I knew there was little chance of inclement weather, so I took a Ford Fiesta from my local rental place out and back. The fuel savings from the little car almost paid the entire rental fee, and the little it didn't cover I'm happy to absorb to save 2k+ miles wear/tear on my own stuff. I do drive my own though if I feel 4wd and/or high clearance is likely going to be necessary.

2083 Have a mechanic check it?No one touches my Truck but
me!If it ain't broke or leakin' don't touch it! Runnin' and Gunnin.:cool:

I've only ever owned toyota pickups (though now a tundra to accommodate kids) and they've all gone 250k+ without any major repairs. I did have the cylinders go out in the clutch, but I was poor and in college and just bungied the clutch peddle to the steering column and topped off the fluid everything time I got it.

If you've never seen this it's worth watching, all be it this is a diesel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
Then continue to parts 2 and 3.

I wish my truck had only 160.000 miles on it. My current truck is a '97 Dodge 4x4 with 275,000+ miles on it. The last time I took a long trip towing my travel trailer it had about 260,000 miles on it and had no problems. This past hunting season I drove probably 1200 miles round trip, although I did have my bro tow the trailer. It still runs like a champ.

Ive got a 2000 Tacoma w 250k,,they are a great rig w proper maintenance,,my other rig is a 2004.5 dodge ram cummins,,it is one of the best years also for a dodge.

Well I did see a truck I liked down at the NRA outdoor show today, a 3/4 ton Chevy......only $71K. Guess I'll work on putting another 160K miles on the tacoma.

Well I did see a truck I liked down at the NRA outdoor show today, a 3/4 ton Chevy......only $71K. Guess I'll work on putting another 160K miles on the tacoma.

OH wait a minute, after that trip to the outdoor showw I think I figured it out! Here's the math

Win 300,000 on a lottery scratch off

-$120,000 Gov taxes
-$75,000 New truck with dealer discount taxes etc
-$2500 Leer truck bed cap for truck (must have)
-$30,000 Brown bear hunt in Alaska, licenses, taxidermy, etc if I get the show special price
-$10,000 Elk hunt in Montana Ditto of above
-$3,000 trip to Disney with the wife (she likes it there) cause I won some money
Some left over
Problem solved!

I just saw a youtube clip of the new Harley F150 .......97K.....FFS who is the mo that is dropping 100k on an F150?

Simple, service it before you go out. Take some easy spares along like alternator, belt and hose.
Then go

I just bought a new hunting rig last June. A ‘96 4Runner with 178,000. I drove it from NC to CO, then to New Mexico, back to CO and then to Montana, then back to CO. After that I drove it to Kansas, hunted five more days then home to NC. I put 12,000 on it since I got it. I’ve put tires, a set of rear shocks and a muffler/tailpipe on it. Best $3000 I’ve spent in a while. I bought it to save putting more miles on my ‘03 Tacoma(248,000)...
Go through it the best you can, get tripleA, and GO HUNTING!!!!

AAA is good insurance. So is not getting complacent because of the brand of your vehicle. mtmuley

I once took a Suzuki Samurai with 160,000 miles and no heater or radio from Clancy, to Superior to meet a buddy for a whitetail hunt.

I worked swing shift at the time, so around midnight I put on my snowsuit, hat, and gloves(no heater) and put a cd in my Walkman(no radio) and took to the open road.

Around Clinton,MT, I started to feel wetness on my face. Figuring some snow was getting through one of the holes on the door-roof junction I carried on. The weather outside the samurai getting inside the samurai was a natural occurrence. A few miles later, around Bonner, I got a weird taste in my mouth and the Sammy broke down on the side of the road. I got out to take a look(no interior lights either). I busted out my flashlight to find myself absolutely covered in oil from head to toe. The engine had blown up, and was flinging oil at me through the numerous holes in the floor as I rolled down the interstate. I didn’t notice because it was dark and I was wearing a freaking snow suit.

That was the day my samurai died, and that oil stain marked the interstate for years after.

I’d get your Toyota checked out prior to taking your trip, but beyond that You always run the risk on taking a big trip. Even in a new vehicle.

I once took a Suzuki Samurai with 160,000 miles and no heater or radio from Clancy, to Superior to meet a buddy for a whitetail hunt.

I worked swing shift at the time, so around midnight I put on my snowsuit, hat, and gloves(no heater) and put a cd in my Walkman(no radio) and took to the open road.

Around Clinton,MT, I started to feel wetness on my face. Figuring some snow was getting through one of the holes on the door-roof junction I carried on. The weather outside the samurai getting inside the samurai was a natural occurrence. A few miles later, around Bonner, I got a weird taste in my mouth and the Sammy broke down on the side of the road. I got out to take a look(no interior lights either). I busted out my flashlight to find myself absolutely covered in oil from head to toe. The engine had blown up, and was flinging oil at me through the numerous holes in the floor as I rolled down the interstate. I didn’t notice because it was dark and I was wearing a freaking snow suit.

That was the day my samurai died, and that oil stain marked the interstate for years after.

I’d get your Toyota checked out prior to taking your trip, but beyond that You always run the risk on taking a big trip. Even in a new vehicle.

Getting to a hunting spot at all costs. Thanks Nameless, it's what we had to do sometimes. Great story. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back