Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Long time resident new to elk hunting

rlong1990

Hello everyone

I am sure I will get a lot of back lash over this post but o well. Lol I moved to Montana right out of high school in 2008 since then I have always just hunted deer in north east Montana. Do to my job I just could never get the time off to really try and go after elk, well I have made a career change and with this change gives me the flexibility to have the time off in the fall to hunt elk. I am looking at exploring HD300 in a post rut hunt, I am looking at back packing back in and staying in the hills as far away from roads and people as I can get!!!! I am just looking for any pointers and opinions of the area. Also if anyone is looking for a hunting partner I am open to making new friends to hunt with!!!

Hello everyone... I am looking at back packing back in and staying in the hills as far away from roads and people as I can get!!!! ...
Welcome to the Forum!
Backpacking as far away from roads and people as you can is a great idea until you have to backpack your camp and an elk back out to your vehicle. The old phrase of "the work begins after you pull the trigger" really applies the farther you are from your vehicle.

Welcome to the Forum!
Backpacking as far away from roads and people as you can is a great idea until you have to backpack your camp and an elk back out to your vehicle. The old phrase of "the work begins after you pull the trigger" really applies the farther you are from your vehicle.

Luckily I have plenty of horses to do the hard work!!!!

Scout some high country for early and lower country for later in the season. They move with the weather.

In some areas they move to the private land at the first shot. Persistance and time on the ground leads to success. I try to hunt 30-33 days but I'm retired. That still doesn't guarentee meat in the freezer.

Hello everyone

I am sure I will get a lot of back lash over this post but o well. Lol I moved to Montana right out of high school in 2008 since then I have always just hunted deer in north east Montana. Do to my job I just could never get the time off to really try and go after elk, well I have made a career change and with this change gives me the flexibility to have the time off in the fall to hunt elk. I am looking at exploring HD300 in a post rut hunt, I am looking at back packing back in and staying in the hills as far away from roads and people as I can get!!!! I am just looking for any pointers and opinions of the area. Also if anyone is looking for a hunting partner I am open to making new friends to hunt with!!!

Hello, I am a non-resident of Montana and drew a General season elk/deer combo tag. I have all fall to chase elk and deer for Archery. I also plan on returning during the rifle season in November if I do not tag out during archery. Looking to maybe have a hunting partner. I planned on going it alone but realize better to hunt with at least one other person. I am retired Army and have a lot of experience hunting mostly deer, turkey, bear, and pheasant. I have hunted elk in Colorado years ago with bow. If you want a partner that is committed to you and the hunt, shoot me a message.

Back