Long Range Hunting

Long range hunting is sort of an oxymoron, so far as I'm concerned. But what's long range?

Long range hunting might be better called techno-hunting. Or just plain shooting.

Only 7 weeks or so til turkey hunting starts. Better to spend time practicing your turkey calling techniques than argue about about long range hunting.

Here - I dare y'all to click on this and start practicing for Opening Day.

giphy.gif

I don't understand crapping on people for asking questions on a forum. We get it, you guys have been around here awhile and have discussed these topics. Opinions change, things come to light, facts are dispelled. Sorry DK27.

I personally believe in getting as close as possible. This is because I like the challenge of a close stalk, and I suck at shooting. Rather spend my time in the field, comfortable to 250-300 yrds, than at the range getting comfortable with 1000 yrd shots.

The terrain and species might sometimes require the longer shots (I'm thinking sheep or goats), but I think most hunting situations are more enjoyable if you get in close. Nothing like smelling an elk or a rutty buck!

Thanks Richard. And I'll be the first to admit I am probably the least experienced hunter on this entire forum. Given my experience and even less knowledge, you guys have more credibility than I do. And I didn't mean "beat a dead horse" so to speak. So I'm sorry about that.

I just think more people ought to brag about how close they got to an animal vs how far away they were. There's obviously skill in taking long shots but there's also skill in getting close to game.

I ultimately think It's up to each individual to do what they think is right when their in the field. So I'll leave it at that. Thanks guys!!

I don't understand crapping on people for asking questions on a forum. We get it, you guys have been around here awhile and have discussed these topics. Opinions change, things come to light, facts are dispelled. Sorry DK27.

I personally believe in getting as close as possible. This is because I like the challenge of a close stalk, and I suck at shooting. Rather spend my time in the field, comfortable to 250-300 yrds, than at the range getting comfortable with 1000 yrd shots.

The terrain and species might sometimes require the longer shots (I'm thinking sheep or goats), but I think most hunting situations are more enjoyable if you get in close. Nothing like smelling an elk or a rutty buck!
While true, there is a search function. At this point, redundant opinionated posts start to wear on you. A new refreshing take is much appreciated. That's why pictures are such a hit!

While we are on the topic let’s figure out if woofs kill elk, if they’re native, if bear spray will save you in the wind, of a 6.5 creemoor will kill an elk, if hunters really should vote for democrats, the amount of cooling the earth will experience per dollar taxed, if I should be disappointed the tranny went out on my tundra at 823k miles, and why NR can’t DIY hunt wilderness in WY.

What’d I miss?

Should I start building points in Nevada?

Ah... hunting ethics. Damn near as good as politics or religion. While I'm on the subject, how can it unethical to shoot a pheasant on the ground or a swimming duck and yet be the only ethical way to shoot a turkey?
So the only turkey that I've shot was flying...Please Randy I was hunting with Doc Sather when I did that, don't ban me from this Forum for that.

No wait the best one> I'm saving money so I can buy sitka or kuiu gear maybe in two years I can go on a hunt.

537 psshhhh

When you got a turn key operation like that who needs to practice. So easy a 9 year old can do it.

While I do have a respect for long range shooters and gun nuts that wanna dial in their perfect 338lapua load right to the knats ass. It's not a preferred hunting method to me atleast. The sense of enjoyment and thrill of getting in and setting up on a shot goes right out the window when all you gotta do is take it up 37 clicks and account for 2 minutes of wind.

Like I said I do respect long range shooting because it is an art just not high on the "send it" program on a 1367 yard antelope. Everyone has their own cup of tea though.

Yes, and everyone will be saved from my redundancy! Sorry again for the annoyance!
No worries! If you truly want help and answers, use the search function. You are not the first to be reminded of that. I had a rude awakening and was immediately directed to the search function!

There are certain hot topics on this forum! You found one of them!

I've shot a wounded pheasant out of the tree - wouldn't fly, wouldn't die - viewed as a mercy thing (plus . . tasty).
Same! I have no qualms with shooting a duck on water, upland bird on the ground or tree. As long as its ethical, I'm good! I will not let my sense of "sport" cheat my prey of a quick death. After all, they still taste the same!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back