Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Long range goof

Jack O'Conner

About 8 years ago, I was deer hunting in Fall River County near the Wyoming line. "Any deer" tag in my pocket. National Grasslands area with a huge "sea of sage". I saw a single doe way out there by herself. No trees nor other animals to judge distance.

I lay flat and sighted my .243 so the crosshairs aligned about 4 below the backbone. When I squeezed she dropped.

When I walked over to the dead doe, it was a lot closer than I'd guess-timated. Turned out I shot a fawn that had no spots at all. But through my scope cranked up to 7X, she looked like a normal doe at long range.

When I brought the fawn over to Dad's he just grinned. Then he told me to always look at the nose. If the nose appears short, its a fawn. If the nose appears normal, its an adult animal. Just thought I'd share my goof with you guys.

Each hind quarter was cooked as a single roast. Good eatin' deer while it lasted.
Jack
frown.gif

We always apply for the any deer tags. We like to shoot big heavy mulies for their meat. Buck or doe makes no never mind to me. Bucks are nice to look at, but a big doe is very welcome in our freezer.

Last DEC (Youth Season), my 15 year old dropped a really heavy doe mule deer. Weight was 185 to 225 lbs, I guess. But I couldn't get it loaded in our wheelbarrow by myself. Oh, and it was dropped with a single 80 gr Sierra soft nose, for those interested in such things. The high speed bullet literally tore the neck vertabrae into splinters!
Jack
tongue.gif

I'd guess if you'd of invested more than 29 dollars in your wonder binos, you'd know what the hell you were shooting at.

Just when I was beginning to think that Greenie had grown up and decided to treat people with a modicum of respect, he turns back into the smart ass punk he's always been. Thanks Greenie for bein' you...

cool.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-15-2003 11:21: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

Don't have time Greenie.. Someone has to watch you and make sure you stay in line... Can't have you out making an ass out of yourself, now can we....???? Or can we??

cool.gif

My name in hunting camp used to be little dogbuck. Then i learned to recognize the spots, i think the younger ones have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back