Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Logging company fined!!

Ithaca 37

This is the kind of behavior some of you guys are defending when you have your knee jerk reactions to the environmentalist movement:

Plum Creek to pay fine, restitution for timber violations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COEUR D´ALENE — Officials of Plum Creek Timber Co. have agreed to pay nearly $66,000 in restitution and a $1,000 fine for allegedly illegally cutting millions of board feet of timber on the Clearwater National Forest.
“We take this very seriously,” said Tom Ray, the company´s Northwest Region general manager. “We have made changes in our system to prevent this from happening again.”

The Seattle-based company was cited last month with nearly a dozen misdemeanor logging and other violations. It negotiated a plea bargain under which it pleaded no contest to two charges of cutting or damaging trees on federal land.

The Forest Service claimed that between June 2000 and October 2002, independent loggers hired by Plum Creek strayed across property lines and cut more than 1,100 trees, or nearly 88 million board feet, on Clearwater National Forest land adjacent to corporate land.

Regional Forester Kathleen McAllister said the agreement not only compensates taxpayers for the timber but means “Plum Creek will change its procedures and take the necessary steps to not cross property lines.”

A separate civil suit is pending against Plum Creek to recover the $12 million the federal government spent in 2000 to fight wildfires allegedly started on Plum Creek land before spreading to federal land.

The company has maintained that its employees were not involved in starting the fires.

But Doug Gochnour at the Clearwater National Forest said the company and the loggers it had hired are named in the suit.

“Somebody should pay because the public shouldn´t,” Gochnour said.

Investigators say the 275-acre Bear Camp fire started when a skidding cable rubbing against rocks sent sparks into dry underbrush and the 4,800-acre Crooked fire ignited when a skyline hoist engine used to pull logs up a slope spewed hot exhaust into a slash pile.

Edition Date: 09-19-2003

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Story.asp?ID=49581

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>cut more than 1,100 trees, or nearly 88 million board feet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmm, math is hard for me, but I have a hard time believing that each tree had 80,000 board feet of lumber. Is that right?
wink.gif

At any rate, the company paid a $0.91 fine for each tree cut. That doesn't seem like much incentive to not try it again. I don't count the $66,000, because that's just what they had to pay for the trees they got to keep.

Oak

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-19-2003 10:09: Message edited by: Colorado Oak ]</font>

Ten, Before you try to defend Plum Creek or divert the issue to something else, please remember that we know Plum Creek has always been one of the most environmentally destructive renegade logging companies in the west. We can provide plenty of links to info on that and we already have, many times, in other topics. You're going to end up losing again if you try to take Plum Creek's side.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Here's some reading to make sure you know who you're defending, in case you try!

http://www.google.com/search?q=plum+creek+destroy+environment&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

ITHACA, crawl back under your rock, my ATV is wobbling.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I know who Plum Creek is, and I also know that they were the logging branch under the parent company of Burlington Norhtern Rails. I am saying that with the new maps, Plum Creek doesn't even show ownerships. Do you comprehend that, or should I type more slowly?

BTW, ITHACA, when have I stepped up to defend breaking the law? These guys are stealing timber, they are "Timber Pirates". You go ahead and try to defend the theft of public timber.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have found out that Plum Creek sold their property around here a year or two ago to another timber company.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with the industry like you do. And as far as any "knee jerk" reactions go, my responses are in the interests of a broader array user groups, and are not as self serving as yours.

Ten, "I don't have any problem with the industry like you do." As someone who lives next to the largest Superfund cleanup site in the country, if you don't have any problem with the resource extraction industry you must be in complete denial of their behavior--- past and present.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

You say you know of super funded logging jobs now????
confused.gif
confused.gif
Grow up IT. Hay wanna try for a third go at the no name calling game again, I believe you lost the last two fairly quickly?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
However, I believe that your own environmental awareness is based in your repressed self guilt from your past endevours.
tongue.gif
shhh.gif
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-22-2003 14:15: Message edited by: Ten Bears ]</font>

First, you tell me what Plum Creek taking logs off of forest circus lands has to do with the Bunker Hill Superfund. The plot thickens....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Reread my previous post s l o w l y.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back