Caribou Gear Tarp

Locking up your gear while your in the back country

Wondering everyone's experience or what they do while there in the back country with their nice coolers and other gear. I have a 250 qt cooler that's pricey and I have locks to tie to the bed of the truck. Anyone have gear stolen or damaged while their gone??

The cooler sits too high for the bed cover to fit. Your exactly right tho what they cant see they cant steal

In taking my grizzly 165 qt. In the same boat as you, wont fit under the bed cover. We are pulling a trailer so I'll probably cable it to the trailer and lock the trailer to a tree at camp. Best I can do I guess. Thought of setting my cellular trail cam up for surveillance haha. Hopefully it doesn't come to that

I leave it all in the tent. I t would be pretty ballsy to venture into someones tent esp. during hunting season. But I'm sure it happens.

I also put a trail cam my truck. Not needed it but there's been some nosey people.

I leave all my stuff in my tent, somewhere around camp or in an unlocked truck. Never had anything stolen or even messed with. Of course the guy who goes with me isn't there to hunt, he's just there to camp. He hangs around camp all day while I'm out chasing critters and I don't think I have ever seen him in the woods without a sidearm.

I hide my stuff in the trunk of a nondescript sedan with stickers that would lead one to think it's owned by a 68 year old ornithologist.

I've always thought that if you want to make yourself a target put hunting stickers all over your car and spotlights in your roof.

I take your approach and have never had an issue. Between that and the fact that I don't wear camo people don't realise I'm a hunter until they see a gun in my hand.

Wondering everyone's experience or what they do while there in the back country with their nice coolers and other gear. I have a 250 qt cooler that's pricey and I have locks to tie to the bed of the truck. Anyone have gear stolen or damaged while their gone??
Sorry to have to be telling you this, believe me I am. Here in Southern Colorado, some trailheads have posted warnings about leaving valuables in your locked vehicles. Seems that some criminals know that later in the evening, the odds that someone will arrive at a trailhead are pretty slim, and so they will break into your vehicle and steal whatever they want. It's a pretty easy gig really, and unless someone walked up on them in the dark, they'd hear a vehicle coming, and could simply go hide. So, it's a tough situation to get around, as most folks are going to leave something in their vehicle, and then they damage it breaking into it too.

I would think it’s no different than keeping your rig on the street. It’s either going to happen or not, just don’t stress over something you can’t really control.

We have a game cart that several people would use / share when they made western hunts. One trip to Nebraska we bent the wheels. I spent quite a bit upgrading the bearings/ rims and wheels to make it better. The next trip with it to NE Wyoming it was stolen from the tent during the day. Hope whoever got it appreciates how smooth that thing pulls. Lol

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back