Caribou Gear

Locators.

engman99

What is your favorite locator call right now.Back when I first started turkey hunting the owl hooter worked real well.Then it kind of got overused around here and the crow calls started working real well.Right now what works the best for me is a coyote howler.A guy last year told me he was having good luck with a goose call also.I am hunting southern Indiana.

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

That is a tough one for me.
We have gobs of owls here and the turkeys seem to have gotten somewhat use to them.
I take a double reed call and use it as a coyote howler.
I use my own voice to do the owl and pea-****.
I don't really have a favorite per say, it's more of what works and what doesn't on any given day.
heck sometimes i resort to whacking trees with sticks.
smile.gif

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

Deer_runs.gif

http://www.hunttalk.com

e99, welcome to the turkey page and to Moosie's forum. Great bunch of guys here.

I haven't perfected the call yet, but the best locator call where I hunt is a donkey bray. No lie. The rancher raises them.` They are a real pain in the kazoo, but in the spring, they almost always bray at first light. Maybe they think they are roosters.
wink.gif

Anyway, when they do, the old toms almost always gobble back from the roost. Any time I'm hunting now and I hear one of those JA's starting to crank it up, I stop and make sure I listen real close.

I still use the old tried and true crow call. It still does a good job. I bought one of those coyote howlers and all I can do is sound like a sick duck. I guess turkeys don't gobble at sick ducks, cause they sure don't gobble back.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
SR

Owl hooter still works great here. A crow call doesn't seam to work as well as a coyote howler, but I am with Shadow on the howler. I sound sick!! So I just listen real close when the song dogs sound off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back