Loan for hunting

Personally, I wouldn’t finance a 30k hunt. However, I do think you could do a moose/caribou hunt DIY for much cheaper, and that may change the answer. I don’t think it would be hard to do both of those for 10k and that’s a different conversation than 30k. I did a DIY moose hunt for $6,000 in 2020 and sent my deposit for another DIY hunt yesterday and the price was $10,500. That’s one hell of a jump in 2 years, but I had a few specific requests that caused it to cost more.

If you could use a HELOC at lower interest for 10k then I’d probably consider it. That will probably be cheaper than inflation.

If you are set on a guided hunt then I’d start some sort of side hustle. Make an extra 10k a year with it. Book the hunt 4 years out and you’re sitting pretty on the finance side.

This is ironic timing as last night i broached the subject with my wife about a possible week long back pack hunt next archery season. The first 2 things out of her mouth was I have to get better life insurance first and how expensive will it be... :ROFLMAO:

Glad I got most of that expensive AK travel hunting out of my system a few years ago.
Did a Dall sheep for $6800 in 96' and brown bear for $11,000 in 05'. Was big money at the time but sounds like a bargain now.

The math equation needs to include risk and the relationship cost if you take out the loan, go on your hunt, and a week after you get home you are hit by a vehicle and can't work....suddenly your wife is the one putting in the hours to pay off your loan for your hunt that you went on. Why would anyone saddle their loved ones with the possibility of having to pay for their recreational activities after the fact???

30k is a crazy amount to spend on anything, a hunt, a car, a rolly... Some guys see the animals and adventure as worth that price point while to others it's insane.
I won't ever do another hunt as expensive as I did this fall, but to guys who spend 2-3k to hunt elk out of state, when will it be ROI not match up? When will you change from hunting to a different hobby/passion because it's no longer worth it? 1k per adventure? 10k?

The math equation needs to include risk and the relationship cost if you take out the loan, go on your hunt, and a week after you get home you are hit by a vehicle and can't work....suddenly your wife is the one putting in the hours to pay off your loan for your hunt that you went on. Why would anyone saddle their loved ones with the possibility of having to pay for their recreational activities after the fact???

Agreed that needs to be considered. However, as with anything we borrow tomorrow is no guarantee.

My investments are no where near 7% ROI for the last 6 quarters. Keeping any positive ROI has been a challenge.
My friends who manage investment portfolios regularly get 7-10% annual returns. My clients get the same with insurance policies but they take time to mature, as in not 5 years, but usually 10. Also not investing just $5k/year, minimum $12k.

There are guaranteed whole life policies with a 6% ror that is not subject to any market fluctuations, just harder to access capital. If keeping a positive roi is an issue, seek a second opinion from another advisor. Even in a down market, theres money to be made.

If you are set on a guided hunt then I’d start some sort of side hustle. Make an extra 10k a year with it. Book the hunt 4 years out and you’re sitting pretty on the finance side.
I'm not directing this at you, but to this idea. So please don't take offense.

But I would much MUCH rather take out a loan than do a side hustle. If you try to fund it by working more then you're not just taking time to hunt anymore, now you're taking time away from your family all year to pay for even more time away from the family.

When I hear about people working on the weekend or the evenings at their "side hustle" to fund their "fun" all I can think of is why did you bother with the family to begin with? Kids grow up fast enough why be even more selfish with your time?

Another idea would be paying the $12k or so an outfitter like Papa Bear is charging and go moose hunt. You will get a moose.

Then on a separate hunt go DIY caribou hunting or even hire an outfitter in Canada if it must be a mountain caribou. If I had money to burn on caribou hunting, I’d do a horseback hunt with Arctic Red or Gana River in the NWT.

Here's my 2 cents, coming from aging boomer, who's been there done that.

I went on a two week mixed bag big game hunt in British Columbia a year after getting married. It was a BIG ask. The trip was paid for up front. There is not one chance in hell that I'd pay off an expensive hunt on the installment plan.

Why? It is not an asset, no matter how you spin it. It is a life memory. So, what happens if you lose your ability to earn the money you expect if you borrow the money.

It is far better to put the money together first. Then you know exactly what was needed to pay for it. You will then know in your mind whether all of that effort is worth spending it on a hunting trip.

Also, I convinced my newlywed bride that our life should be spent in Montana. We did not do that on a whim either. The first three years we were married, we saved half of what we brought home in pay. One of my checks and one of hers went into the bank each month. We did that for three years. I felt that a nest egg like that would sustain us until we got our feet on the ground. It worked, we've been in Montana for 40+ years now, still married.

It does not hurt to delay gratification, it usually pays.

Last edited:
I'm not directing this at you, but to this idea. So please don't take offense.

But I would much MUCH rather take out a loan than do a side hustle. If you try to fund it by working more then you're not just taking time to hunt anymore, now you're taking time away from your family all year to pay for even more time away from the family.

When I hear about people working on the weekend or the evenings at their "side hustle" to fund their "fun" all I can think of is why did you bother with the family to begin with? Kids grow up fast enough why be even more selfish with your time?
No offense taken at all. I definitely agree with you. I guess it would depend on what skill set is offered. Before I had kids I had a side hustle, and my wife worked on it with me. We had $10,000 weekends so for us, as young kids fresh out of college, it was worth it to get to where we wanted to be before we expanded our family.

I wouldn’t have a side hustle to fund a hunt if it was going to take a significant amount of time. As someone who is self employed….I’m always trying to refine my process to maximize family time.

Another idea would be paying the $12k or so an outfitter like Papa Bear is charging and go moose hunt. You will get a moose.

Then on a separate hunt go DIY caribou hunting or even hire an outfitter in Canada if it must be a mountain caribou. If I had money to burn on caribou hunting, I’d do a horseback hunt with Arctic Red or Gana River in the NWT.

When you did yours I already had my mind made up I was going to do it. I called them and tried recruiting a partner. None of my circle wanted to commit and I didn’t end up booking. We decided as a family to do the CO cow moose as a trial run. It was a hit and was given the green light to do more moose hunting. I realized on that hunt my body will need help on a bull. I’m not sure I can pull off a Papa Bear trip as much as I would like to, which lead me to an outfitter.

I’ve been watching Billy Molls on YouTube and think that is what type of hunt I will probably have the most enjoyment out of.

It does not hurt to delay gratification, it usually pays.

I respectfully disagree. My Mom wanted to do all kind of things. Dad kept spending on the farm and they did very little of her wants. He died and she finally had enough money after the farm was sold. Her physical condition is so bad now she can’t enjoy the trips she is now financially able to take. It goes right back to Fin’s quote about health before money.

I would never feel comfortable with an added liability over my head. I’d never do the loan. I would however get a second job or side hustle. I’ve often thought about doing fishing charters on weekends to pay for such a trip. My wife is a vacation planner on the side as well. Have a pole barn? You can make $4-5k a year just storing other peoples stuff. This type of weekend work got me a guided moose hunt to Ak.

My problem is my wife has three horses, and they literally eat all my chances of going back to Ak. I’m efforting but they are winning.

Wife preapproved the trip when I turned 40, that I can go before I’m 50. As it continues to get more expensive she is starting to regret that. I save 250 a month but it appears to be like chasing point creep. I feel like just keep falling farther away from the goal.
I totally get the motivation and it’s frustrating that it can seem so far away. However, buying into this the “I must do this now or I’ll never be able to” fear game is why Alaska hunts are as expensive as they are and why Americans are being crushed by debt. Think about someone in the hunting world that you respect. Big fin is a good example. Did he take out a loan to hunt Alaska or Canada? I highly doubt it.

I respectfully disagree. My Mom wanted to do all kind of things. Dad kept spending on the farm and they did very little of her wants. He died and she finally had enough money after the farm was sold. Her physical condition is so bad now she can’t enjoy the trips she is now financially able to take. It goes right back to Fin’s quote about health before money.

It's all a balance. You'll do it the way you want to do it. I can tell you than having cash in hand has worked out very well for me. Most of my hunts are now memories, that happens when a guy gets past 70.

But being somewhat frugal, got a home paid off quickly, paid for college for kids in real time, retired younger than most. There is hardly anything I've enjoyed more than horses. But those did not come until 20 years ago. There were other things higher on the priority list.

I hope your journey is at least as satisfying as mine has been. I've had a ton a fun along way, but I can't justify borrowing money solely for fun.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back