MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Loadin' 'em whole: a question

Ben Long

My 50+ year old spine seems to have a harder time loading a gutted buck into the back of a pickup truck than it used to. What's your favorite tools and tactics for this chore? This season, getting the buck to the truck was easy -- the hard part was hefting him over the tailgate. Help.

I once tied a rope to a cow elk, ran the rope up through the back window of the pickup and out the passenger window, and tied it to a tree in front of the truck. I then backed the truck up a foot, walked around the back and heaved the elk an inch up, got back in the truck and repeated a dozen times. It worked.

lump of timber or 3 steel poles welded together and small electric winch which we plugged into an anderson plug which we wired into the back and you can hook up to the bed of your truck and then remove the winch when not required. About $50 for the winch.

My grandfather had this setup into his 80's and could load any deer on his own with no issues

Back into a ditch or into a steep slope and drop the tailgate. I’ve got a blown disc and backed into a ditch to load an antelope this year and into a steep hill to load a whitetail - my back survived both episodes.

I keep a 6' piece of plywood in the truck to make a ramp, then use a ratchet strap.

Gotta be roadkill ready.
Plywood ramp, rope, pulley in the front of the truck bed. Rope tied to deer, through pulley and then back to something solid. Drive forward.

Plywood ramp, rope, pulley in the front of the truck bed. Rope tied to deer, through pulley and then back to something solid. Drive forward.
So is the plywood ramp somehow attached to the truck? Otherwise I’m picturing a major fail as soon as you start pulling forward.

As others have said, very simple. Plywood ramp. Tie a rope or strap to the fromt of the pick-up bed. Tie a come-along to the strap, attach the end of come-along rope to antlers/neck and just crank it in. No wiring, very cheap.

My 50+ year old spine seems to have a harder time loading a gutted buck into the back of a pickup truck than it used to. What's your favorite tools and tactics for this chore? This season, getting the buck to the truck was easy -- the hard part was hefting him over the tailgate. Help.
Usually it is not that hard to remove the tailgate.
If you can not do that it is nice to have a deere.100_0009.JPG

So is the plywood ramp somehow attached to the truck? Otherwise I’m picturing a major fail as soon as you start pulling forward.
Haha! Good point! Didn’t think of that! Plywood ramp would have to be long enough for it to have room for the truck to move. Once the deer rides it up a bit there should be enough pressure/weight to have the deer complete the ride up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yz125braz
Back