Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Load/round recommendations for summer practice shooting

FYT

Hi all,

I hunt with a .308 and have been using Federal Premium Trophy Copper rounds (165 grain, I believe, though I may sight in with a 150 grain this year, not sure yet). They seem like a good round for my gun and I have felt confident in their accuracy and kill potential.

My question is this- because they're so damn expensive, do you have a suggestion for a cheaper round I can practice with this summer before re-sighting for the season? I just got a new Vortex scope for Christmas and will mount it soon, so it seems like a good/logical opportunity to sight the gun in for summer practice.

Through in-season experiences this year, I realized that I didn't practice shooting enough from funky positions. It's one thing to shoot from a bench, it's another thing to seal-the-deal on an animal in the field (duh!) and I want to do a lot more practice shooting from varied positions this year.

I have a free, public range about 10 minutes from my house so I hope to spend some consistent time there this summer. In the past, I've told myself that 300yards is my max distance. I hope to shoot enough this summer to push that out a little farther, but mostly I want to practice more to feel more comfortable shooting from many different positions/situations.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

How much do you think you'll shoot in a given year? It doesn't take too many hundreds before handloading starts to make some sense if you have the time and interest.

Reactions: FYT
How much do you think you'll shoot in a given year? It doesn't take too many hundreds before handloading starts to make some sense if you have the time and interest.

Good question. I don't think I'll get to that point. I was just given a decent bow and want to start practicing shooting that as well (probably still a year or two out from my first archery hunt), and I plan to shoot it quite a bit this summer too. To be honest, with an 18month old, another on the way, and a busy job, it's hard for me to envision having the time/desire to handload.

Good question. I don't think I'll get to that point. I was just given a decent bow and want to start practicing shooting that as well (probably still a year or two out from my first archery hunt), and I plan to shoot it quite a bit this summer too. To be honest, with an 18month old, another on the way, and a busy job, it's hard for me to envision having the time/desire to handload.

If you’re that busy, are you realistically gonna have that much time to shoot your rifle enough to constitute changing bullet types?

If you really want to put a lot rounds down range maybe shoot a different rifle like a .22 or maybe even a .223. Obviously its not going to be the same ballistics, wind drift, etc that your hunting round has but either are your cheaper rounds in .308. You will get to practice breaking the trigger and different positions etc the cheapest way possible. Maybe its coincidence but the best marksman I have been around grew up with a small caliber rifles or shotguns in their hands at all times which leads me to believe its more about the amount of shooting you are able to do then what round or rifle you are practicing with.

If you really want to put a lot rounds down range maybe shoot a different rifle like a .22 or maybe even a .223. Obviously its not going to be the same ballistics, wind drift, etc that your hunting round has but either are your cheaper rounds in .308. You will get to practice breaking the trigger and different positions etc the cheapest way possible. Maybe its coincidence but the best marksman I have been around grew up with a small caliber rifles or shotguns in their hands at all times which leads me to believe its more about the amount of shooting you are able to do then what round or rifle you are practicing with.
This. Get a small caliber affordable to shoot rifle. Shoot it, then shoot it more. mtmuley

Add another for practicing with a small caliber. I do a lot of dry firing through different positions with my 308 as well.

I was gonna mention shooting a 22. Easy and cheap to put a lot of rounds down range.

When my wife drew an elk tag. We would put pop bottles on top of a dirt mound. Once you hit it and it started rolling you had to see how many times you could hit it before it stopped. This helped a lot with target acquisition and being under some pressure to get off a good quality shot in a timely matter. Makes those times when the bottle is sitting seem like a chip shot.

This. Get a small caliber affordable to shoot rifle. Shoot it, then shoot it more. mtmuley
Agree.

A 223 can still teach you a lot.
And, a 22LR can teach a lot about trigger control and muscle memory - assuming you set it up somewhat like your .308.

Every one has their approach and opinions, IMO if I have the DOPE on my rifle, then I can switch to a different load no problem, so long as I can verify my DOPE later on. But I try to shoot the same load all year. Dry fire practice works for me if I can't make it out to actually let off some rounds. Even dry firing from non standard positions can yield positive results, as you can track your sights before during and after. If you have good tracking with that, the only difference would be slightly different weight (no ammo), and no recoil. But another plus is (granted it's only .308, so this shouldn't be an issue anyway) no building up of a flinch in those positions.

If I have 15 minutes of free time, I'll do non standard positions in my backyard, looking out to the desert, and some dry fires.

Again just my opinion, and YMMV. Best of luck regardless.

Dry fire practice is often over looked and can really help. It's free, and can be done when you can't leave the house and have just a few minutes of free time. Practice quickly setting up in awkward positions and good trigger control.

Don’t you remember we learned this does not make realistic practice 🙄?
Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm gonna do a bunch of unrealistic shooting practice this summer behind a .222 Remington. And probly a .243 also. mtmuley

I find dry firing helpful. I also like using a .223 that is set up with stock and scope somewhat similar to my big game rifles. I don’t find my 22LR as helpful since mine has a really light/short form factor that doesn’t mimic the shoulder mount of my bigger rifles very well. YMMV

If you’re that busy, are you realistically gonna have that much time to shoot your rifle enough to constitute changing bullet types?

Fair question. I do have about 6 weeks off each summer, which is when I plan to shoot the most. Easy access to the range is also a big positive and will allow me to do it more. Just knowing myself, I don't see myself getting into handloading but it was a good suggestion, thanks.

Thanks for the advice all. Looking into some .22 and .223 options. Also like the idea of doing more dry-fire practice. I've done that a little in the past but clearly not enough.

My take on this is purchase 147 grain fmj (308) ammo for practice . Go to the range shoot 5 standing at 100 yds and try to keep all hits in a 8” Circle, 5 rounds kneeling trying to keep all rounds in a 6” circle, 5 rds seated 4” Circle, 5 rds prone 2-3” Circle. Do all these positions with only the aid of a shooting sling or Shooting sticks if u use these aids during hunting. When you can keep 80% of your rounds in these hit areas, move your target back to 150 to 175 yards and start over. 147 grain fmj 308 ammo is cheap. Dry fire as much as you can away from the range. The trigger manipulation, trigger weight is going to be much different that a 22 rimfire rifle. Do this type of training and you will be surprised how much work needs to be done before hunting season. I have been doing this for awhile now, it will humble you. Take care and good luck this hunting season

My take on this is purchase 147 grain fmj (308) ammo for practice . Go to the range shoot 5 standing at 100 yds and try to keep all hits in a 8” Circle, 5 rounds kneeling trying to keep all rounds in a 6” circle, 5 rds seated 4” Circle, 5 rds prone 2-3” Circle. Do all these positions with only the aid of a shooting sling or Shooting sticks if u use these aids during hunting. When you can keep 80% of your rounds in these hit areas, move your target back to 150 to 175 yards and start over. 147 grain fmj 308 ammo is cheap. Dry fire as much as you can away from the range. The trigger manipulation, trigger weight is going to be much different that a 22 rimfire rifle. Do this type of training and you will be surprised how much work needs to be done before hunting season. I have been doing this for awhile now, it will humble you. Take care and good luck this hunting season

Love this "regimen" idea. Thanks, Ronin!

I have progressed to adding a physical workout before each shot, ie: burpees, push-up various body weight movements to elevate my heart rate to my target range before each shot. At 59 years old I have to take proactive steps to keep in shape and stay hunting as long as I can. PM me and I can give you some of these workouts. Either way keep shooting and moving you’ll be my age one day

I have progressed to adding a physical workout before each shot, ie: burpees, push-up various body weight movements to elevate my heart rate to my target range before each shot. At 59 years old I have to take proactive steps to keep in shape and stay hunting as long as I can. PM me and I can give you some of these workouts. Either way keep shooting and moving you’ll be my age one day

We used to do a drill similar to a normal stress shoot like you talk about. We used to do the whole "head touching a bat to the ground and spin" thing, doing like 10-15 circles, then running to the rifle (if you could make it standing up) then firing at the target 200-300 yds out. I don't think I ever hit the target....

And yes we had safeties next to us to make sure there were no errant rounds being fired, lol. I to this day think there was no real training benefit to it, merely for the cadre to have something to laugh at.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back