llamas for elk

dgc1963

has anyone ever rented llamas for their hunt ? I am looking into it for our next trip 2020 getting older thinking it would make getting in and packing out a bit easier we go in 3 to 4 miles I train hard but at 56 each time I go its tougher
from what I have read and one of Randys videos they seem to be easy to care for and with one for each of us we could bring out an elk in 1 trip and almost go pass a place that rents them on the way

Used them on a hunt last year for the first time ever. I have never been around llamas or even horses before this and they were very easy to care for. They ate all kinds of plants and rarely drank water. If I remember correctly the big ones can carry 50/60 pounds and smaller ones around 30/40 so two llamas wouldn’t be able to carry out an elk in one trip. You have to be careful to weigh their loads and make sure each side is balanced. It would be a good idea to call the person you are planning on renting from to discuss sizes and weight limits so you can adjust accordingly.

There is an awful lot of "general" info out there that is "generally" wrong, usually because people paint with a broad brush based on an extremely limited experience. Llamas will allow you to do more when you are 60 than you could do at 30, and with a greater degree of comfort.

But you must pay your dues and learn the ropes, don't jump in with the sharks until mastering the guppie pool.

Quality of the llamas and the knowledge of the renter will determine whether you have a good time or not, so ask questions and pay attention at training time, it is the time to learn, not at 4am on a steep trail in the dark with a dead elk down.

I'm probably not allowed to put my link on here but lots of guys have some very helpful websites and videos to get you on the right track. Based on the rate of phone calls I'm fielding these days for 2019 and having been booked for months you need to be in the finishing stages of planning 2020 now.

Or just go later, I never get a call about any but the "nice weather" hunt time frames, the back country empties out when people get scared of re-enacting the Donner party trip...DSC04556.JPG

Just got back from fishing the backcountry with llamas. Second time I’ve rented. Also used on elk hunt last fall. I’m in my mid fifties and it’s definately a big help to me. Like stated above do your research. Ive not had a bad day yet with llamas but they are animals and have there moments. From my experience 3 llamas would be best for a hunt. One for your camp and two for meat transport. You could slim it down to two but will have to carry camp on your back when an Elk hits the ground.

^ everything llamas will including killing sheep, skip the goats.

I’m renting llamas this fall, depending on how it goes I might be making an investment.

^ everything llamas will including killing sheep, skip the goats.

Get informed before you run your mouth on nothing you know about.... there is 0 scientific evidence that a feral goat will infect a wild sheep. There is evidence of domestic sheep killing wild sheep! The crazy people lump goats in with sheep!
Matt

Get informed before you run your mouth on nothing you know about.... there is 0 scientific evidence that a feral goat will infect a wild sheep. There is evidence of domestic sheep killing wild sheep! The crazy people lump goats in with sheep!
Matt

Touched a never there...

Matt

Wait until the "alaska policy" becomes the accepted base line passing as "fact" in this regard, I fear it twill be very ugly, proving the old axiom that a lie will be halfway around the world before the truth gets it's pants on...

And that phrase was coined before all this internet stuff.

BTW 2 llamas should be able to get any but an XL bull out in one trip, long as you carry cape/horns. I usually use 3 but that is just because I own so many, not because 2 couldn't do it.DSC04804.JPG

Llamas are in the same group as sheep and goats FYI, but not only diseases but also invasive weed seeds from llama waste, goats have a lot more complex digestive system that does not transfer seeds in there waste. Oh and by the way I suggest actually reading that paper. The “scientists” have not been able to get a goat to transfer a pathogen to a wild sheep without first infecting the goat. Also only 1 of 3, of the goats contracted pneumonia and non died! lol funny when people just google something and not read and understand the findings lol I added a picture from your exact post of the article, check out the first sentence lol.
Matt112D0401-BA28-4A64-B8F4-C5BC48D61C59.png

Easy man, I read the study too. To the OP, end of the day why take the risk if you have nothing invested in goats + regardless of how you feel about the issue pack goats are banned in a number of areas which kinda settles which you should use in those spots. Check the regs of where you are hunting.

Last edited:
hey guys thank for the imput their is 4 of us going so I figured one each that would be 4 for a pack out didnt figure one to do all the work guess I didnt clarify in my post
I research thing to death lol kinda anal that way the company I am thinking of using is very high quality just was looking for some feed back from guys that did it before
IM thinking it will lighten pack going in and able to take a few more things for a bit more of a base camp we go in 3 miles to that spot and then hunt anywhere from 1 to 3 miles from their and another spot ive gone to is 6 mile pack in at 37 that was tough and each time it gets harder Im really big on lots of scouting for old bulls with alzheimer now hoping they walk past camp looking for directions

Or just go later, I never get a call about any but the "nice weather" hunt time frames, the back country empties out when people get scared of re-enacting the Donner party trip...

So you’re sayin’ no reservations required for 3rd season? 😂

-Alek

Back