Living with Buffalo

Lawnboy

Well this afternoon I made a trip up to Gardiner to take care of a church property I mow. I had gotten reports that the Buffalo have been living on the lawn all winter and It's covered in poop. I've had to go up before in the spring and drag a chain harrow over the property to break up the doo and spread it out. When I got there it was way worse than any other year. The neighbors say that there are more buffalo in the area than any year they can remember. I've mowed this lawn with cow elk laying there and until I get real close like 20 feet then they will move to any area I've mowed and lay back down. It's kind of fun to see all the animals but the mess they make can be incredibly destructive. I watched a hug bull buff last year leave the lawn and go rub a mailbox and snap the wood post it was on. I saw antelope, deer, hundreds of elk and hundreds of buffalo today.

Nice view looking toward the park
Photo016.jpg

Land mines watch out
Photo014.jpg

It was creating a lot of dust. I wonder if you can get brucellosis from inhaling poop dust:(

I know the pioneers used to burn them chips in their fires.

I didn't think wild animals would make a mess like that, only domestic livestock? ;) :D

Just curious if there are any dung beetles there? I know in some areas they have been all but exterminated unintentionally, which greatly slows down the disappearance of poop.

I hear you on the movement of Bison through the upper paradise valley...here is a shot of a bull in Gardiner enjoying the first greens of the year! As much as it sucks dealing with mowing over the bison pies it's great seeing bison with a little more elbow room to range in the winter.

And it's one more thing to add to your resume Lawnboy! No pie is to high for Bart May....for your mowers sake I hope you didn't hit any that were still frozen in the middle.

Attachments

• buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 417
Collect them, dip them in Varnish and set the Kids up a Buffalo Stand so they can sell em to the Tourist!!! You have to think outside of the Box here Bart. John

I like to take a Baggie full of Elk Turds back to Louisiana to put out around my buddies stands. They stay put waiting for that "Big" Buck the rest of the season! John

I'd love to have them patties in my back yard.... would like to have a few hundred pounds of that meat in my freezer too.

Sweet pic Randy!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back