Little Belts

houndy65

I Was wondering if the Little Belts are as good as they use to be. I haven't been over there since the late 80's. We planning a hunt over by Lewistown ( breaks or belts) depending on if we all draw the 410-15 tags (4 residents- party tag), the odd man out is my buddy from Georgia, he put in for the combo plus the 410-15 tag. So long story short if he doesn't draw the breaks tag we're hunting the belts. If we hunt the belts I thought about out base camp near russian flats. I feel the belts to be our best option, if we don't get the breaks tag.

Thanks; Terry

The belt hunting isn't terrible. Being from GF, MT I hunt there when I only have a day or two. I have had a few successes hunting those mountains for elk. All and all there are better mountain ranges to hunt but you shouldn't have troubles finding bands of elk here and there. Just not huge groups of elk. Now others may have much better time in the litle belts but those are my findings.

Thanks MontanaElkFanatic, i was raised over in Lewistown and now I live in NW Montana. I did really well over in the belts when i lived there. I have a friend coming from out of state and several buddies from Montana, couple from GF hunting with me and we know the belts aready, but I just haven't had the time to go back over to belts. I wanted to know if it was still good unuff and you answered my question, thank you. We put in for the 410-15 tags also as 2nd choice on the hunt, but my kind of hunting is in the mountains and a lot of calling.

Terry

I drew Montana last year 1st time and researched alot.From all I heard about the Belts was to expect ALOT of other hunters.even the biologists told me the same.I chose a different mountain range and had basically no competition and alot of elk.Unfortunately, it was a bad week for storms while I was there making conditions the toughest I've ever hunted in.I will be back next year though.
I heard alot of hunters who use to hunt in now overpopulated grizz and wolf areas have moved their hunting into the Belts.I wish you luck but would definitely scout your old areas before commiting to going there

To many open atv and dirt bike trails to truly get away from people.Is what we found when we tried the belts. Now i hunt where Mixedbag hunts.

My buddy and I are going to take a weekend or two and scout my old spots. How are the roads over there for being gated. I was thinking of taking the pedal bikes. I'd like to take my horses but thats aways to go and way to much money to drive my 1 ton.

Scout hard and don't miss on opening day!!! After the opener the elk head for private or a very nasty hellhole to get away from the crowds. Leave the bugle at home unless you want to spook the elk and call in hunters. Used to hunt there often, but like everbody else I have headed to greener pastures. JMO

we'll be right after them in the nasty hell hole that hell hole between the middle fork and lost fork is real hell, I've killed two in there.

Yes tons of people still hunt from monarch to white sulphur springs and in between. Yes there are indeed a ton of trails that are open to dirt bikes year long. There are areas where it takes you an hour to hike just to find a dirt bike trail way back in there. I once read the belts are full of elk but like already said once opening weekend is done the elk are very tough to find on public ground. Still my second or back up area to hunt elk, I have killed two in there both during opening week.

I'll give it up to the Montana guys.They do an awesome job scaring people away from applying there.But, if I want a trophy bull on a general tag, Montana is the place hands down.I studied my butt off for last years hunt and found elk heaven from looking over maps and talking with biologists.I won't give up my spot there.i'm still considering a combo tag for this year.Montana is a top state for me.Their hunters are the hardest working though.I was surprised to see a few guys miles deep.Any other state would have been by myself
Keep up the good work;wolves are everywhere,and tough to sleep with grizz breathing in your tents,lol.Pay attention when you ask about certain areas and you can hear a pin drop from the lack of responses.If you get what I'm saying.Met alot of great people in Mt while there.Still wondering why I went for the Wy. elk tag.guess I know a spot or two there though

You don't want to go to the Belts...yup no elk there...or bear...or deer...or fun at all. Stay away from the Belts...people come home crying from dissappointment. It's miserable.

That is a good spot, but now there is a dirtbike trail that comes in from the west and you can ride right to the bottom. The biggest Muley I ever seen in MT was just to north of there, to bad it was 25 years ago and in August:(
I am not saying there isn't any elk in the belts, but after opening day of archery it gets to be more luck than skill.
I quit archery hunting there about 8-10 years ago, just got tried of tree stands hanging in the tree next to mine, 4 wheelers passing me after hiking 2 hours down a gated road and spending a month pattering the elk just to have somebody set up camp in the meadow they have been using the day before season.
Scout hard and put an arrow in them on opening morning and you will do just fine.

Don't forget the bear spray.And, if your lucky enough to find the last elk in there,get him out right away or the wolves will have him gone by morning.Now if you go to Colorado, you won't have to worry about either.and, they have the biggest elk herd of raggies.So many, you can use your truck instead of you gun,and save the walking
just playing-good luck to you guys and have a blast

MixedBag - no joke, the wolves are in the Belts. I had a couple hunting the same drainage I was in in 2010 with a multiple sightings from two friends who watched a couple wolves chasing some Muley does near 89 north of White Sulphur.

I'm sure there are wolves in there.canines disperse to unbelievable distances.I don't think they are a major problem there just yet.More worries about dispersed hunters into that area from what I've heard.hopefully, montana will reduce the NR fees for wolf tags and I'll have one in pocket next year

I got out a grand total of two days after elk last season due to time constraints, one of which was in the little belts. Went up on a tip from a buddy who had killed one the day before. Right where he got his I watched another guy shoot one...Many guns in the woods and luck is huge but they're there.

Well either way we'll give it a good effort and I've always been really lucky about pulling the rabbit from the hat. I call central Montana home, so we'll have fun either way.

I'll take you fellas to my honey hole the southern Root for a Weekend, if you take me to your area in the Belts the next. I think that's a fair trade. It took me 30+ years to find my honey hole here, and in less than 5 years, Debbie Barretts bill took it away.

I'll take you fellas to my honey hole the southern Root for a Weekend, if you take me to your area in the Belts the next. I think that's a fair trade. It took me 30+ years to find my honey hole here, and in less than 5 years, Debbie Barretts bill took it away.

SS I'd be happy to show you some spots in the Little Belts but I don't think you'd like them.

I used to do a lot of work out of Harlowton and there is a local guy there who gets a bull every year in the little belts, sometimes a nice one. When I asked him how he does it this was his reply...There are so many roads that the landscape is islands of timber surrounded by roads. He works one island on foot... then back to his rig and drives to the next island, repeat until you get into elk. I tried it...not the best elk hunting I've had but it works...

I have lost more hunting partners taking them to the little belts. Between the lack of game, the creek crossings, getting lost, and the steep rugged terrain most all my hunting buddies would prefer to hunt somewhere a little easier.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back