Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

liquid cleaning solution

tnctcb

i dont have a tumbler yet and today i was looking at some in i saw this liquid cleaning solution. it says its reusable and easy enough to use you just soak the brass in it for 2 minutes and rinse them in cold water and dry.does anyone have experience with this stuff and after you towel dry them how long should you wait for them to air dry before loading. will the moisture effect the primers and powder or can i load pretty quickly after cleaning.if this stuff is good i may not buy a tumbler but i would like to hear your thoughts.

I'm not familiar with the ones you are talking about, but my Dad used to just use warm soapy water, agitate them, rinse them and then dry them off in the oven at 200 or 225 degrees. That was before he made his own tumbler.

good idea rick i might try that. what are the benifits of using a tumbler when this is so easy?

I've got a bottle of liquid brass cleaner/polish that does a really good job on the brass. I still use the tumbler though. I just like to use it for some reason. The liquid sure does a nicer job of putting a shine on the brass but it doesn't buff the little dark spots out like the tumbler will.

Tim, is that the Iosso stuff you're talking about? I haven't used it, but I've heard several times that it works great. It's supposedly better than tumbling in the sense that it gets better into the nooks and crannies (like primer pockets) and doesn't have the possibility of accidentally leaving media in the case. But if the brass is really dirty it probably doesn't shine it up like a nice abrasive bucket o' walnut shells.
smile.gif

Soapy water doesn't shine the brass up, but does get the dirt off. I think tumbling does a better job, as it actually is scrubbing the inside of the case. You can use a small brush, like the smaller end of a baby bottle brush, to get inside the cases when you use soapy water, though.

so it sounds like it is better to clean the brass with the liquid stuff and use a tumbler when they start to look bad

Hey guys, I think everyone is missing the reason for tumbling brass in the first place. It has little to do with cleaning the outside of the case and everything to do with cleaning the inside of the case. Poweder fouling inside a case takes up space with can change the ballitstics of a round, it may obstruct the primer flash hole which can effect the ballistics of a round and it may effect the outside diameter of the loaded case which...you guessed it.. may effect the ballistics of the round.

If you want to shine your cases using soapy water or something else, great. Be sure you use a brush to clean inside the neck of the case and a primer pocket cleaner to get the muck out of the flash hole...

cool.gif

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back