Lightweight 300 WSM users- do you shoot 130-150 or 165 and up?

RevJim

I've never had a Lwt 300 WSM ( or similar) but I have one coming, a Kimber 8400 Classic. I'll put a Burris 3x9 FFII ( my only spare for now) on it. For you Mountain Hunters (or anyone, ha) that uses very lwt rifles, do you find you shoot better with the lighter bullets ( I'm only talking monos here) for deer and elk or do you feel you shoot it better with 165-180s? I have both the 150TTSX and the 175 LRX ( that I use in my 300 WM Bergara Hunter) I also load the 200 NP in the Bergara, but its at least a pound+ heavier. I am not recoil shy, but have used lwt 340 Wby ( that was "too" light) and a lwt 338WM that I only used the older 185 XLC and shot well ( which was poison on a cow elk). Do you guys tend to use one weight over another? I also have a self imposed 400yds limit , I'm a "point and shoot" guy (Kentucky Windage/Holdover), no turret turning. Just curious?

In my opinion, the 150gn TTSX is a top choice for common .308 rifles (.308, .330WSM, or 300WM) regardless of recoil considerations. One step below lead weight allows for same mass for penetration (after accounting the loss of lead via fragmentation) while allowing higher velocity which further improves drop, wind drift and expansion. Both my Tikka t3X lite ss .308Win and T3X lite ss 300WSM shoot 150gn TTSX. These guns have killed 700lb kudu, 500+lb sable, 600lb gemsbuk and 1000+lb zebra so pronghorn, deer and elk should be covered well. How fast you choose to push it (and what powder you choose) will have an impact on your final recoil.

Last edited:
I don't know if I shoot better with 180's but they're what I've used in a 300win mag Kimber Classic and an even lighter 300wsm Weaver Custom. 180 gr @ 3000+ keeps my mind at ease.

Thanks guys. No harley- do you find that Kimber300WM hard to hang onto, shoot well? I had that lwt 338WM I had Mag Na Ported, it kept it out of my face, but that could have been stock design.

Tikka T3 lite and I shoot 165s. It's what the rifle likes

Thanks guys. No harley- do you find that Kimber300WM hard to hang onto, shoot well? I had that lwt 338WM I had Mag Na Ported, it kept it out of my face, but that could have been stock design.

Not a bit Rev...it comes up, points, and shoots very well.... and it's a damn handsome rifle.

I shoot 168’s in my Tikka lite at 3100fps. Changing the recoil pad made it a lot more fun to shoot.

I use a 180 gr Nosler in my Tikka 300 WSM. They shoot very well. I’d admit the recoil was noticeable after a few shots. An aftermarket recoil pad helped out a bunch.

My Kimber Montana .300 WSM likes 165 grain bullets better than 180 grain bullets. Never tried anything lighter.

I have a kimber mountain ascent in 300wsm shoots the barnes 150 ttsx really well, probably going to step it up to a heavier bullet this year as it’s going to be a dedicated elk rifle. When I originally sited in and broke in the barrel I used some federal 165grain and I didn’t notice a change in recoil.

Just a bit of advice im not sure how light the Rifle your getting is but don’t get discouraged if you have some accuracy problems with the lightweight rifle when you first start out. Do some research and look up shooting lightweight rifles for tips. I think a lot of times when people complain about kimbers not being accurate it has more to do with them not being used to shooting lightweight rifles.
Goodluck and let us know how it shoots

Tikka T3x Lite 300WSM. 6.4 pounds which I think is a bit lighter than the Kimber. I use 150 grain for mule deer and 165 grain for elk. I’ve also shot 180 grain at the range. Limbsaver pad made a world or difference on felt recoil.

Thanks guys! I will certainly go with what the rifle likes, just wondering what others have observed, and you all "get it", what I was asking. I discovered the 338WM MatchGradeArms I had was zeroed +1"@100 "from the bench", from a Caldwell setup, ( the leather bags, filled with sand) it hit +3" high from hunting positions! ha, so that explained alot for me. I then went to a "Buddy Bag" rest ( and put my hand on top of the scope firmly), with a bunny ear bag rear for the bench. I found that it didn't change POI from hunting positions then. A lwt is a different animal for sure, ha. The 340W it originally was chambered it had a "KDF" style brake. It worked great for "braking" recoil, (and also the loudest POC ever!) but it braked that light rifle so fast it simulated the piston of an air rifle, that ruined two scopes, before and during an expensive hunt. That's why I had it rebarreled with a tad heavier barrel/338WM. I gave that rifle away to a friend and just kept using my 35 Whelen Ackley. I did get to work up load for a congregant of mine's Browning 300WSM. He won the rifle, and a hunt in BC for sheep/mtn goat! Sweet, ha. I loaded the then new 168 TSX for him. He got both critters too! He continues to use that bullet for everything from elk to Red Deer to mule deer. But since I already have the 150TTSX and 175LRX on hand, I will wait and see which one this rifle likes. Of course, I could get an "urge" to try the Nosler 200 in it too, ha. Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'll report back later...:)

Thanks guys! I will certainly go with what the rifle likes, just wondering what others have observed, and you all "get it", what I was asking. I discovered the 338WM MatchGradeArms I had was zeroed +1"@100 "from the bench", from a Caldwell setup, ( the leather bags, filled with sand) it hit +3" high from hunting positions! ha, so that explained alot for me. I then went to a "Buddy Bag" rest ( and put my hand on top of the scope firmly), with a bunny ear bag rear for the bench. I found that it didn't change POI from hunting positions then. A lwt is a different animal for sure, ha. The 340W it originally was chambered it had a "KDF" style brake. It worked great for "braking" recoil, (and also the loudest POC ever!) but it braked that light rifle so fast it simulated the piston of an air rifle, that ruined two scopes, before and during an expensive hunt. That's why I had it rebarreled with a tad heavier barrel/338WM. I gave that rifle away to a friend and just kept using my 35 Whelen Ackley. I did get to work up load for a congregant of mine's Browning 300WSM. He won the rifle, and a hunt in BC for sheep/mtn goat! Sweet, ha. I loaded the then new 168 TSX for him. He got both critters too! He continues to use that bullet for everything from elk to Red Deer to mule deer. But since I already have the 150TTSX and 175LRX on hand, I will wait and see which one this rifle likes. Of course, I could get an "urge" to try the Nosler 200 in it too, ha. Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'll report back later...:)
Id be interested in seeing the loads you work up when you get around to it.

I just got back from the range (300WSM is in transit) took my 84L Classic .270 to get zeroed, work up a load with the 129 LRX. I was able to scarf some R16 for that bullet, in RWS new cases. I set my zero with some Nosler cased Sierra 110PH/N165, 61gr SWAG charge. Turned out swell, rifle likes the lighter weights for sure. Then I tried 4 rds of H4831/60/Hornady 130sp....no joy! Pressure felt fine, but 2 1/2" x 3". No sweat, just checking. Then I cleaned the barrel very well, and swabbed it with EezOx. Then I just shot 6 rds of some old Federal 110TTSX to season/foul the bore. It came in on about the 5th round. Rifle likes it ( maybe an inch between shots 5-6) Then from a cold barrel, waiting a few minutes between them I shot 3 rds each with the above R16 load. I started at 52gr.Very mild but 2" group. 53gr still mild and got 2 shots 1/2" but 3rd opened up to 1 1/2. 54gr was "barely" what I would call Moderate, and again 2 about 3/4", one out about 1 1/2 or so. I am going to start over with 53 and come up .03 (tenths) to 53.9 and try again. Same new RWS cases. BR2 So far, it looks like the little rifle wants to shoot, under 2 inches. I had this barreled action Cryoed before shooting it. It did not "walk off" like other skinny barrels I'v had, and recoil was mild. Not bad for a 7 pound .270! So, I am thinking that 300WSM will come straight back at me too. Anyhow, I am going to 'start" with the 150TTSX and see what it likes. Anyone use R17/150 or so in a 300 WSM and how did it handle temp changes? I have sorted out that it does OK for the cold. My last 300WM shot the 150TTSX with 72 gr R17 into an excellent tiny group...around 40-45 deg. Sold that rifle to buy the Kimber .270! ha.

My cow elk hunt is the last 3 days of September. It could be freezing at night and 75 deg at noon! I am not after "super speed" ( whether 3300 to 3400) I can live with 3200/150TTSX. So there are several powders I have that can crowd 3300.

Last edited:
Use Barnes 168 TTSX in my 300wsm and they seem to be the perfect balance between recoil, ballistics, and performance for my needs (0-600yds). My current rifle is a tikka that weighs 7lbs 5oz, and recoil is manageable. Recoil with 180s and 200gr bullets is more than I care for. 168ttsx are moving 3075-3100 FPS with my handloads. RL15, RL16 and h4350 have provided the best accuracy. RL 15 is a little slower but recoils is noticeably lighter.

A light 300 wsm has got some bark no matter what you shoot out of it. I do own one, and believe the 300 wsm shines with 165 and above bullets, especially for western hunting that includes elk. It'll push 165s over 3100 and 180s close to 3,000. I prefer a 180 grain, or there abouts, in the 300 wsm.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back