Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Lightest Bestest Tripod For Sitting w/12x Binos Only

Anyone try the Leupold alpine tripod yet? If so how is it?
My vortex high country is getting very loose after years of use. It’s 2lbs and want a replacement that isn’t heavier which is hard to find. The Leupold is listed a 2lbs. Will be using 10x binos and a relatively light 40x spotter on it, sitting.

Ill be in the minority probably with the aoka 28”, 1.1lb from amazon. Use it sitting in a chair to standing even, including with a 65mm spotter.

If you are sitting on the ground only, no chair, the 15.7” would work at .97lb. Dont let the price fool you, they are made with surprisingly good quality. Just needs a head of your choosing even though what it comes with will work, its not the best.

For the head I chose a smallrig pan head, also amazon and “cheap”. Not the best or worst but works.

Me on the right, buddy with a sirui on the left.
View attachment 246996
specs do not say full height extends to? You say it works standing as well, height?

I have a popular sirui model and have to crouch to use standing, need a taller, light tripod for standing. apologies to,OP as this is not a “sitting” question.

I got this one when it was on sale for my wife and for hunts where I use it as a support rather than for binos. The cool part is that it comes with a 6 in center shaft that you can swap out to make it even lighter. Only gripe with that is that it’s too short for me (6’2”) with the regular shaft and the stubby shaft makes it only to where you can glass sitting down. The head is heavy which weighs it down a lot but it’s arguably the best head in the market, according to many.

I got this one when it was on sale for my wife and for hunts where I use it as a support rather than for binos. The cool part is that it comes with a 6 in center shaft that you can swap out to make it even lighter. Only gripe with that is that it’s too short for me (6’2”) with the regular shaft and the stubby shaft makes it only to where you can glass sitting down. The head is heavy which weighs it down a lot but it’s arguably the best head in the market, according to many.

The siriu legs with some other head is one I’m considering, buddy has one. I personally prefer a ball head with Binos (95% of what I will use it for) and with a light ball head it could be 2lbs or possibly a little less. That fluid pan head is smooth and it’s great with a spotter on it.

Usually run a Slik 624. Have a Tricer BC on order though to drop a little weight. I really like the idea of the thickest tripod legs on the bottom and smallest on top that the Tricer offers. Also have a Suriu ST-124 that is great if I need to shoot from it and be relatively light, and a Feisol 3342 if I need to stand. That one normally stays at the truck.

I carry one of those primos shooting tripod, the short ones for seated or kneeling shots. The arbor (post?) on it is the same as a pan head mount so I can switch back and forth between optics and a rifle rest. Before this, I was using a vortex tripod but there's just so much knob turning on those legs to get it set up right that it drives me nuts. I like the primos because I can hit the trigger and drop the legs to get set up. Hit the trigger again to adjust when my left butt goes numb. Then, if I see something worth chasing, trade out for the rifle rest and put the binos in go mode. I feel comfortable shooting off of that rest in any environment so it works for me, ymmv.

Weight: 2.5 pounds

I've gone too light with instability issues. I've used the original and newer Vortex Carbon Summit II. Perfect!

Anyone try the Leupold alpine tripod yet? If so how is it?
My vortex high country is getting very loose after years of use. It’s 2lbs and want a replacement that isn’t heavier which is hard to find. The Leupold is listed a 2lbs. Will be using 10x binos and a relatively light 40x spotter on it, sitting.
You could send it in to vortex for repair/replacement. They should do it under their warranty.

Reviving this one. I'm thinking of getting a lighter tripod than my Manfrotto 290. I want shorter (<20"), lighter (<3lbs), don't need to stand with it and want it to be able to be stuffed inside my backpack, yet still be rock-solid. Anybody tried this brand? Or one with a similar built in slight ball head? Can attach various clamps and more full range heads. I want a Swiss arca compatable plate also.

Reviving this one. I'm thinking of getting a lighter tripod than my Manfrotto 290. I want shorter (<20"), lighter (<3lbs), don't need to stand with it and want it to be able to be stuffed inside my backpack, yet still be rock-solid. Anybody tried this brand? Or one with a similar built in slight ball head? Can attach various clamps and more full range heads. I want a Swiss arca compatable plate also.

Leofoto makes decent RRS knockoffs. I've used a bunch.

My cousin brought this on to Wyoming last year. The head got a little sticky because it got dirty, but started working fine again once cleaned (my RRS leveling head does the same). I like that particular configuration. Would have no problem using it as my primary hunting tripod.

They ARE shameless in what they'll knock off, even photoshopping RRS's images for their website.

Leofoto makes decent RRS knockoffs. I've used a bunch.

My cousin brought this on to Wyoming last year. The head got a little sticky because it got dirty, but started working fine again once cleaned (my RRS leveling head does the same). I like that particular configuration. Would have no problem using it as my primary hunting tripod.

They ARE shameless in what they'll knock off, even photoshopping RRS's images for their website.
Thanks. I ended up going with this pair, found it for a little over $200..

Last edited:
It should do a good job with your given parameters, you're looking for smaller and lighter than what I typically go for.

2lb, 2.1oz for my Slik 635 with a Novoflex panning ball head. That includes the Outdoorsman's bino adapter. That said, I could probably save some weight with a non-panning ball head and use the tripod to pan since it does that pretty well. I put a pair of Maven B.6 12x50 binos on the setup. No complaints.

Back