Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Lightest Bestest Tripod For Sitting w/12x Binos Only

BenInMT

I’m looking to lighten the load on hunts where I don’t “need” my spotter or need a standing height tripod. Looking for something light and strong for binocular glassing only. Any suggestions?

Ill be in the minority probably with the aoka 28”, 1.1lb from amazon. Use it sitting in a chair to standing even, including with a 65mm spotter.

If you are sitting on the ground only, no chair, the 15.7” would work at .97lb. Dont let the price fool you, they are made with surprisingly good quality. Just needs a head of your choosing even though what it comes with will work, its not the best.

For the head I chose a smallrig pan head, also amazon and “cheap”. Not the best or worst but works.

Me on the right, buddy with a sirui on the left.
3FFDC16E-A01C-4272-9729-AFF565EF2AD3.jpeg

Ill be in the minority probably with the aoka 28”, 1.1lb from amazon. Use it sitting in a chair to standing even, including with a 65mm spotter.

If you are sitting on the ground only, no chair, the 15.7” would work at .97lb. Dont let the price fool you, they are made with surprisingly good quality. Just needs a head of your choosing even though what it comes with will work, its not the best.

For the head I chose a smallrig pan head, also amazon and “cheap”. Not the best or worst but works.

Me on the right, buddy with a sirui on the left.
View attachment 246996
Thanks. I might give this one a try.

Kramer designs in Clancy, MT makes compact ultralight tripods. I have one I use with my binos, it's not as steady as a regular tripod, but it only weighs like 8 ounces. Terry builds them in his shop on a couple CNC machines.

I’m looking to lighten the load on hunts where I don’t “need” my spotter or need a standing height tripod. Looking for something light and strong for binocular glassing only. Any suggestions?

I've been using the Vortex SS-P tripod for maybe 6-7 years now, it weighs only 2lbs, has a pan/tilt head, and still gets pretty darn close to standing height.

I use a sirui T-0025x for when i don't need a standing tripod or only using binos and my small 55mm kowa. I pulled out the center column for weight savings and use it with an outdoorsmans micro pan head. The tripod/head combo is well under 2#. They usually come with a ball head but i called cameralandNY and got one ordered without because I wanted to use the Pan head.

After buying a RRC big tripod for shooting off of I sure wouldn't call it the "best" as you can clearly see the difference in build quality compared to the high $ stuff but it has worked just fine for a number of years for me.

I use my hiking stick(s). Seated, kneeling, leaning, or standing, works as rifle or bino rest.
I use the sticks w/ or w/o packing game so it's a convenient multi use. One less packed item.

Some nice settings presented by others. NW MT has far less large swaths of glassing opportunities so the sticks do the job though ymmv.

I really like my Vortex Ridgeview. It wasn't insanely expensive and the movements could be a little smoother, but it's crazy light and sturdy. I use my GPO 12x binos with it.

RIDGEVIEW

On the extreme end of ultralight, the Kramer Designs Granite Peak tripod is an option. I got one a few weeks ago and will be giving it a try. Mine is 42 inches, and with the bino attachment, it is 9 ounces. Head is totally functional for me with binos and it is surprisingly stable. Right now, I like the weight, but not enough data on performance. Ask me in a year and I will let you know what I really think.

I use a sirui T-0025x for when i don't need a standing tripod or only using binos and my small 55mm kowa. I pulled out the center column for weight savings and use it with an outdoorsmans micro pan head. The tripod/head combo is well under 2#. They usually come with a ball head but i called cameralandNY and got one ordered without because I wanted to use the Pan head.

After buying a RRC big tripod for shooting off of I sure wouldn't call it the "best" as you can clearly see the difference in build quality compared to the high $ stuff but it has worked just fine for a number of years for me.
Siriu pan head here too and like it a lot. I also have an older vortex high country ball. The lighter vortex under my 15X binos are not as stable in wind. The sirui is. the extra weight isn't noticeable to me in the pack.

Back