Lighted Reticle Scope

CubSlayer

Hey folks. I'm looking to get a lighted reticle scope for my daughter's .308. Most lighted reticle scopes have a tiny red dot in the center. This is NOT what I want. At one time, I bought a Bushnell Banner lighted reticle scope that had a small lighted cross, red or green. We like it, but it is no longer made.

For my .338s, I put on a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x 44mm scope with a big red cross. It too is no longer made, though you can still find them. The problem with this scope is its heavy. I bought a heavy rifle, put a heavy scope on it, using heavy rings. I now have a 22" rifle that weighs over 9.5lbs. Don't want to do this to her lightweight .308, so I'm hoping to keep to a simple 3-9x 1" tube.

Does anybody know of such a beast from a reputable manufacturer? The only ones I find on Amazon are from no-name brands that I suspect might not take the pounding (some seem like they were made for rimfire rifles). The Vortex Crossfire II is tempting, but like most, it only has a small central dot. We both like the lighted crosshairs, but they seem to be going out of style.

I mounted Trijicon Accupoints (no batteries) on my two "go to" hunting rifles. Reticle choices include a post with the tip lighted green, yellow, or red. Also several crosshair choices with a green or yellow dot. For my tired old eyes the mil dot reticle with green dot works great. I find the lighted dot helps me to quickly acquire the sight picture on the target. I'm not aware of any lighted crosshair scopes on the market. However, if there are some, the guys on this forum will know for certain !

Wow! Sure hope you get what you pay for! $$$$$. (Zagat rifle scope price review :) ) considering Leupold, I'd imagine one does... I'm a bottom feeding gold leupold owner. Haha!

3 volt lithium battery. No go for MT hunting (except predator(?)-though I've not looked it up). Not sure where @CubSlayer lives or hunts.

Wow! Sure hope you get what you pay for! $$$$$. (Zagat rifle scope price review :) ) considering Leupold, I'd imagine one does... I'm a bottom feeding gold leupold owner. Haha!

3 volt lithium battery. No go for MT hunting (except predator(?)-though I've not looked it up). Not sure where @CubSlayer lives or hunts.

You can use them in ID and MT. If you haven’t looked it up why would you comment on it?

Nice, but most certainly well out of my price range.
The VX5 FireDot CDS is a worthy alternative, especially at schmalts pricing....but I prefer the red (Fire)dot.

I have looked thru the B&C and, IMO, too busy and a lot of red.

You can use them in ID and MT. If you haven’t looked it up why would you comment on it?
Not had your coffee yet? A bit tissy to start the day... relax.
Last I recall any electronic devise attached to a firearm or archery for hunting big game purpose is not legal in MT. If not the case. Good to hear. Now, ill certainly look it up as you've not quoted regs that state otherwise. Thanks for the heads up it may be legal in MT.

I have an Athlon scope that is FFP without the lighted reticle I couldn't see the crosshairs at 2.5X. It's a Gen 1 Aries scope but so far I like it for what it's used for but exposed turrets may not be wise for a young hunter.

To the OP: I think Midway USA has a search function for lighted reticle scopes. It seems you're looking for an entry level optic. My suggestion would be get a scope with adjustable brightness and read a ton of reviews. Reach out to @schmalts to see if he has something that would fit the bill.

I know nothing of the scope but what about the Athlon Neos?

Last edited:

New Hampshire. Short range. I don't need high power, but when hunting bears, a lighted reticle is quite valuable.

Bushnell used to make a Banner with a lighted crosshair. It was cheap, so I bought one. Still not 100% convinced it will hold up, but so far I wish I had bought a few more.

What is your concern? Temperature affecting battery performance?

Bushnell used to make a Banner with a lighted crosshair. It was cheap, so I bought one. Still not 100% convinced it will hold up, but so far I wish I had bought a few more.
Lupe used to offer illumes in the VXR and VX3 lines. Guess it was too practical for their marketing mensas.

Though I've not used them, the Nikon X1000 has illuminated crosshair options, but they all have Mil/MOA hash marks.

Back