Leupold VX-6

MTGomer

I've been considering getting a little different setup than my current 300 wby vanguard and leupold VX3 3-9.

Rifle might be a Kimber or a Sako Finnlite, or maybe something else, but I've really starting kicking around the Leupold VX-6 CDS. Also in consideration is a Huskemaw.

Any thoughts good/bad or otherwise about either?

I re-scoped my 280AI from a vx3 2-8x36 to a vx6 2-12 x42 cds this year. The difference in image quality is significant. The vx3 is nice, the vx6 is outstanding, especially in low light.

The difference in image quality is significant. The vx3 is nice, the vx6 is outstanding, especially in low light.

Agreed. They have sent me five of them and I am extremely impressed. All the guest hunters who use them are equally impressed.

I just purchased the VX6 3-18 X 50. It will eventually go on a 28 Nosler I am having built but until the gun is done, the scope resides in the box. I can say from free handing it, the optics look good. I chose the windplex reticle. For the money, they seem to be one heck of a value. I posted your same question on other forums and received all favorable replies. On the scale, this scope is about 24 oz. Not terribly heavy for a scope of this size.

I have the 3x18x44 vx6 on my 270wsm MRCx2. Great scope. Got the CDS dial and it is dead on out to 500(length of range). Dial it up and down right back dead on. Love it. I have another one sitting here waiting for my new MRC to show up.

I've thought about buying a VX6 because of all the good things folks say about it. I've heard that Leuopld was discontinuing the VX6 line. Is that true and if so, why?

I've thought about buying a VX6 because of all the good things folks say about it. I've heard that Leuopld was discontinuing the VX6 line. Is that true and if so, why?

I've read they are going to stop selling the Mark4 to civilians but nothing to the effect for the VX6...coincidently Cabelas has a 3-18 VX6 on sale.

Last edited:
Midway has them on sale too. $940 for the 3-18 with cds and tmoa reticle sounds pretty tempting

Last edited:
Thank you for all the input here.

I have a few questions... from what I can tell, all VX 6 scopes are CDS? I'm a little undecided on if I want a turret or not, or just a ballistic reticle like Leupold's B&C reticle.

If a guy did go with a CDS scope... How does Leupold handle the cusomization? do you go shoot your gun incrementally and record the drop, then they engrave it, similiar to what Huskemaw does?

I'm sure I can answer all this on my own with some reearch, but if anyone is an expert I'd love your input.

Thank you.

Nothing wrong with the way that VX3i looks either.. or the price

The CDS is based on the cartridge, bullet, velocity, temp, elevation and your zero distance. You call them and give them that information and they send you one in a few weeks. I've found it pretty accurate. The CDS that is on my VX-3 does not allow for more than 1 rotation of elevation which really isn't an issue but sometimes at the range, I'd like more.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd go with both a turret and reticle and by reticle I mean one of their moa reticles. This way you can dial or hold over for elevation and use your reticle for wind holds. Your could use the B&C reticle but a dial and MOA reticle will be more precise and it doesn't do you any good for spotting misses.

I haven't bothered with the customized dials yet but I know a few guys that have. They sent all their info (BC, velocity, elevation, ect) to Leupold and they got a dial that was pretty damn accurate. I haven't heard any complaints from those guys but I personally don't like being locked in to an elevation, temp, or load. I'll just make my own range card for wherever I will be hunting.

If you ever want to do some shooting or check out some different setups let me know. I'm not too far down the road

I had the CDS dial cut for my 280AI. I run one dedicated hunting load thru that rifle, so it makes sense to run a dedicated turret. The turret they sent was within 1/4 MOA of my data using Strelok app on my phone. Using the CDS dial I have had no problems hitting a 12" plate at 500 yards when I do my part.

It sounds like the confidence boost alone would be worth it.

I really need to up my game on what I know about this stuff. I've always been mainly a bow hunter and always kept my rifle hunting within 'hunting' ranges instead of 'shooting' distances.
This year I was faced with about a 430 yard shot in a breeze on a beautiful, almost full curl 13 or 14 year old ram. A trophy of a lifetime, especially where I was at. There was no way to get closer. My .300 wby has no problem with vertical trajectory at that range and I'm comfortable shooting that far. I just didn't compensate for the wind enough and missed.
I know nothing compensates for practice practice practice, but I think better optics combined with being more practiced/educated about shooting in the wind could have changed the outcome. 7 days of hiking 23 miles and 6k vertical feet above the trailhead is a big investment in itself. Too big to not be invested in a quality scope. Live and learn I guess.

I am running a VX6 2-12x42 with the Firedot Duplex on my .300 wm and it is an outstanding scope. Nobody here has discussed it yet but the $100 upgrade for the illuminated firedot reticle is an upgrade that is money VERY well spent. The wolf that I called in just a few weeks ago came at the run and when I barked it to a stop at 12yds , that red dot was already centered under its chin. Bang, flop! It is extremely fast for target acquisition and all of my hunting rifles now sport either VX6 or VXR with firedots.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back