Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Leupold Vx-5HD 3-15x44 on a Tikka T3x.

roberte65

Just picked up a T3x Lite Stainless in 30-06 today. I have a Vx-3i 3.5-10x40 fresh in from @schmalts waiting to be popped on. Though i have the itch to grab a vx5-hd 3-15x44 for this rifle and figure out something else for the vx3i.

Anyone have experience mounting the 44mm vx5 on the tikka? Is cheek weld an issue? What rings do you use? Pics welcome!

I just mounted a vortex 2.5x10x44 on mine. I used the talley/tikka lightweight rings in a low. Plenty of room on the front but had to file a few thousands of the edge of the foot in the back under the power adjustment ring.
Vortex has a lot of eye relief so scope is fairly far forward. Don't know how the scopes would compare in sizes Lpld versus a vortex but I'm really satisfied with the way it came out. For me the cheek weld is perfect. 30mm tube

I have the same questions. I just received the vx5-hd 3-15x44. Been looking at DNZ game reaper but not sure between low or medium height.

Looks like the vx5-hd 3-15x44 is 1 1/2" longer with 1/4" shorter eye relief so that may solve the foot issue I had. It's also a 30mm tube like the vortex. I'm no expert but seems logical that they would be similar in size other than the length.

I’ll have that scope on my tikka when it’s done at the smith. Have ran it before. Talley lows and it’s perfect

I'd have no trouble with either of those scopes on a Tikka. That said, I'll likely only use Sportsmatch rings on Tikkas. Very much like the two that I've used them on. Hard to beat for the price and IMO more than robust enough.

I've got a 4-16x44 on my 300 win Tikka. Dual dovetail medium Leupold rings. Probably could have gotten away with lows. No cheek weld issues.

Attachments

• received_174163914159991.jpeg
    received_174163914159991.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 59
Do you guys have any ejection issues with the low to medium rings? I have an xbolt in a 270wsm and a vx5hd 3-15x44 and the shell bounces off the windage knob and lands perfectly back in the action. Ive tried both the 2 piece backcountry 30mm medium and high rings with the same results. I ordered a 20moa cross slot rail and waiting until Leupold opens to inquire about the picatinny rings. They aren't cheap so I'd rather get the right ones the first time around. Their scope mount tool suggests medium rings....but that fat little cartridge refuses to play nice.

Do you guys have any ejection issues with the low to medium rings? I have an xbolt in a 270wsm and a vx5hd 3-15x44 and the shell bounces off the windage knob and lands perfectly back in the action. Ive tried both the 2 piece backcountry 30mm medium and high rings with the same results. I ordered a 20moa cross slot rail and waiting until Leupold opens to inquire about the picatinny rings. They aren't cheap so I'd rather get the right ones the first time around. Their scope mount tool suggests medium rings....but that fat little cartridge refuses to play nice.
No issues

I have that exact setup, a tikka t3x lite stainless in 30-06 and just upgraded to the vx5hd 3-15x44 last summer. I upgraded from a vx1 3-9, and couldn't be happier (a bigger upgrade than you're considering). They're the regular leupold bases and dovetail lows, and feel like I have plenty of clearance. No cheek weld issues for me, however I run a pig tactical stock pack, so I don't think my experience would necessarily be shared.

Attachments

• IMG_5867.jpg
    IMG_5867.jpg
    683.6 KB · Views: 59
I have that exact setup, a tikka t3x lite stainless in 30-06 and just upgraded to the vx5hd 3-15x44 last summer. I upgraded from a vx1 3-9, and couldn't be happier (a bigger upgrade than you're considering). They're the regular leupold bases and dovetail lows, and feel like I have plenty of clearance. No cheek weld issues for me, however I run a pig tactical stock pack, so I don't think my experience would necessarily be shared.
Good looking rig. That looks to be about as low as you can get that scope. Would you say you put the aftermarket cheek piece on because of the scope height, or would you be able to get a decent cheek weld without it?

Good looking rig. That looks to be about as low as you can get that scope. Would you say you put the aftermarket cheek piece on because of the scope height, or would you be able to get a decent cheek weld without it?
Yeah, definitely as low as I'd want to go. For me to be comfortable and really be able to settle in, I need the little extra comb height from the stock pack.

I've considered replacing the stock to get a slightly higher comb where I don't feel like I need to run the stock pack, but the rifle shoots so well, I like the stock pack, I just don't want to mess with what's working for me right now.

Granted, I'm an archery hunter first, this setup killed my elk, deer and bear last year, but shooting rifles is definitely not my strong suit, so I would take my experience with a grain of salt.

I just mounted a vortex 2.5x10x44 on mine. I used the talley/tikka lightweight rings in a low. Plenty of room on the front but had to file a few thousands of the edge of the foot in the back under the power adjustment ring.
Vortex has a lot of eye relief so scope is fairly far forward. Don't know how the scopes would compare in sizes Lpld versus a vortex but I'm really satisfied with the way it came out. For me the cheek weld is perfect. 30mm tube
Do you feel the 2-10 power is too low? I can’t find a use for 2-4x on my 2-10x scope. Wish I’d bought the 3-15x instead.

Do you feel the 2-10 power is too low? I can’t find a use for 2-4x on my 2-10x scope. Wish I’d bought the 3-15x instead.
Not really, I have a 3 x 18 on another rifle and rarely use over about 12. That might be different in wide open country but to me 18 seems like too much. I like the low power for quick close shots you might not be expecting.

What rings and bases are those btw?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back