Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leupold vs Zeiss

Lyfter1013

Just wanted to get some others opinions on this because I don’t have much experience with either brand. Which would you say has the higher quality glass as well as a better reputation when dialing. I’ve narrowed it down to the Leupold vx5 and the Zeiss v4. ive heard some complaints about the Leupold not being consistent when dialing so that has me a little worried. Both scopes are close in price. And I haven’t seen too many people talk about the Zeiss

I was hunting two year's ago with a friend who has a Zeiss V4. It was a brand new scope and had never been taken hunting (only range practice). The temps were around 0 to low single digits that day, and we got setup on a really nice buck that was chasing does. My friend had a really hard time dialing up yardage, and adjusting the magnification. It was as if the lubricant they use had frozen up. He even handed me the rifle and told me to try turning the turret. It was so bad that I thought I was going to break something. Back at the cabin, we let the rifle warm up after a few hours, and tried the scope again. Everything worked perfectly without resistance, so it had to be the temperature. I told him to send the scope back to Zeiss, but I don't think he has. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, maybe it was a fluke? I have two Leupold VX5s and love them.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 on one rifle, Leupold VxIII 2.5x8x32 on another. Not quite apples to apples. Zeiss has a crisper image, extending farther toward the edges. It is brighter in low light. Leupold is nearly as crisp, shows color better, more distortion toward edge of image. The difference in objective lens diameters likely accounts for amount of distortion toward edge of image and brightness in this comparison. Can't comment on dialing. Get both, see for yourself🎯

Flip a coin on the glass. They're almost identical.

Which one has the features you want?

Leupold- Zero Stop with locking Elevation and capped windage
Zeiss- Zero stop and capped windage

Leupold is made in USA
The V4 is made in Japan

Both scopes SHOULD track. If they don't give them a call.

I have Leupold on two rifles and muzzleloader ,never a issue .Take a look at Meopta scopes have one on 308 3x9x42 ,very clear scope .

Not many scopes are perfect when dialing. While there’s not much negative that you could say about either one, I’d probably lean Zeiss if you have to pick one and money was no option.

I sure like buying US when I can though.

I'm currently shopping for a scope myself. I recently purchased a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with Firedot reticle for my first rifle several months ago. I'm glad I did. I'm really happy with the quality of the scope, but what really put it over the top for me was their Firedot illuminated reticle; that thing is the bees knees, and the glass is very good quality as well. I'm going to be purchasing another scope shortly and I'm strongly considering their VX-5 3-15x44, also with Firedot reticle. I don't know if Zeiss offers something similar to the Firedot system, but IMHO, if your going to go Leupold, spend the extra $70-80 and get one with a Firedot equipped reticle. I'm in my mid-40's and wear progressives, and that Firedot makes a huge difference. The glass on my VX-R is really good, and supposedly is the same glass they use on their VX-3 line. I can only imagine how much better the glass in the VX-5 is.

Regarding issues with inconsistency with dialing, I haven't experienced that issue myself. I have the CDS elevation dial (standard/capped windage) and have shot out to 400 yards with the VX-R and so far, bullets are hitting where I aim.

Last edited:
I have Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40s, and Luepold VX2s and VX3is. My preference is for the Zeiss due to edge-to-edge clarity, low light viewing (for my eyes at least), and consistent eye relief.

I actually prefer my VX2s over my VX3is, and I cannot quite put my finger on why I can see better through them, but the eye relief and overall clarity seems a bit more consistent through them.

I do not like Luepold’s general variable eye relief based upon magnification, but I have mostly gotten used to it.

The moral of the story is that I better like the scopes that are no longer made, and don’t have the budget to step up to the newer, higher models of either brand (VX5 HDs or V4s) that would likely be better.

I do not dial, so I cannot speak to that

If your going to be doing a bunch of dialing, you'll want a scope that's made for that.
While this is a hunting forum, i'd look at what the match shooters are using. Particularly PRS and such matches.

If they find issues with something, it'll be made public in short order! And their "acceptable" and our "acceptable" are two very different things!

Typical error of tracking is 1-1.5%.

There is a newish company advertizing 0.5% tracking error. And are getting good reviews.
Hopefully Schmalts can be a dealer!

Thanks for the input guys both scopes have positive but I’m leaning more towards the Zeiss.

I know this is off topic, maybe not, but what brand purchase will help the economy the most? Any stimulus money I get is being spent as local as possible until our economy is back on track.

Tbh one of the major reasons I was considering a Leupold was strictly because it is made in America, I just am a little skeptical after all the negative I’m seeing with guys claiming the Leupolds having tracking issues when dialing. I mean I don’t believe all of these are Leupolds fault and some might be more operator error. However there seems to be a lot of complaints in this regard and is what is making me lean towards Zeiss.

Keep in mind you hear the most complaints on the brand's that have the highest product exposure in any venue. For example, Athlon sells a tiny fraction of scopes compared to leupold so you would expect the same ratio of complaints all things equal

That is true. Do you have any experience with Leupold vx5? What has been your experience with there tracking issues?

Tbh one of the major reasons I was considering a Leupold was strictly because it is made in America, I just am a little skeptical after all the negative I’m seeing with guys claiming the Leupolds having tracking issues when dialing. I mean I don’t believe all of these are Leupolds fault and some might be more operator error. However there seems to be a lot of complaints in this regard and is what is making me lean towards Zeiss.

Cant speak to the newest leupold models, but I own 5 leupold scopes with turrets (4 with m1's all vxII's) and the markAR.

I've been spinning turrets with them for a long time, haven't had any issues yet. I don't shoot competitions, but shoot steel at least 2-5 times a month to 750 yards. Not had a single issue with tracking...at the range, or in a hunting situation.

Have no idea about zeiss, don't own any.

Thanks for the info from the guys that chimed in or PMed me. I ended up going with the Zeiss got a really good deal on a demo model that still comes with full factory warranty. Received the scope Friday and really like the clarity even at max magnification. Can’t wait to get it mounted on a rifle and see how it dials

One is made in Japan, one is made in the United States, they’re both good scopes but one is made in Japan and one is made the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

One is made in Japan, one is made in the United States, they’re both good scopes but one is made in Japan and one is made the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
I’m all for buying American and I do as much as possible...however do some digging and see the number of complaints related to Leupolds issues with dialing and you may get reluctant about spending around $1000 hoping you don’t have the issue...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back