Leupold scope tracking issues

Spitz

So I did some shooting through the summer and have been out this fall since I haven't gotten much hunting in and have hit a snag:

I've got a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 with an M1 elevation turret. the turret tracks very true to MOA, but it doesn't always track. So, about 1 time out of 4, when I twist the turret and shoot, the bullet hits at the previous setting, the shot will bump everything into place, and my second shot will hit at the current setting. I have tried bumping the scope a bit after adjustment to put things in place, but it doesn't always work.

On my mule deer hunt this fall, there was no way I would have made any adjustments prior to a shot as I have little confidence in my setup at the moment.

The Leupold is in no way a cheap scope, but does one need a $1500 Nightforce to have confidence in turret adjustments or do I just have a bad apple?

Spitz, I had a similar incident with a Leupold. Now this is my opinion and just my opinion but I think Leupold quality is starting to suffer. I used to be a dyed in the wool Leupold fan but now I shot Zeiss and Sightron. I have had really good luck and IMO they are a better value/quality for about the same money. I know many will disagree but thats just my opinion.
Regardless of who makes the scope there should never be a need to "tap" the scope into place after an adjustment.

Last edited:
Now would be a good time to check out Lupe's warranty service department.

Last edited:
I'd send the scope to Leupold, I've heard good things about their customer service. I've got several scope brands; Leupold, Sightron, Nikon, Vortex and Nightforce. They all have multiple models and varying price points, so my experiences may not mean much, but IMO the Nightforce is amazing, but the price is painful; my Vortex Viper has the custom turrets and they've been fantastic, I really like this scope. Start by calling Leupold's customer service and hopefully they'll make a fan out of you. Good luck.

Spitz. Get it to their customer service. They want to know if things like this pop up.

I would be very surprised if the don't bend over backwards to solve the problem. And if they don't bend over backwards, let me know, as the guys I deal with for the show are at the top of the Leupold food chain. They would want to known that. They view customer service as one of the many reasons people buy Leupold.

If you don't mind, let me know how it goes.

Spitz,

Just a question...when you spin the turret do you spin it past your desired MOA setting then back?

I've heard that its not necessary to do so (according to leupold), but I've also heard from others that it negates any loading of the erector spring, which can cause sticking. I think you have a problem with the erector spring and like the others have said, I'd send it in.

I've also heard that the 4.5-14 can be a fickle scope as well. I have the vxII 3x9x40 and the m1 and it tracks perfectly, have had no problems with it tracking clear out to 1100 yards and everything in between. Zero always returns as well. I've spun the turret to various ranges before returning to zero, never a problem.

When I buy any other scopes I will buy the leupold vxIII 3.5x10 or another 3x9...

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I'll get it sent in and let you know of the results. I expect nothing less than stellar customer service from Leupold, just hoping the problem isn't a recurring one.

Send it in. Any scope designed or marketed to use the turrets for shot adjustment better track.

Spitz-
I've got the 4.5-14 w/ an M1 and never had a problem with the tracking. I usually use Buzz's method of turning past your yardage and then back, but I also think that isn't necessary...just a habit for me.

Send that baby in, they will make it right.

Schmalts,

What leupold scope doesnt use turrets of some stripe to manipulate shot adjustment via erector travel?

Are there any?

Schmalts,

What leupold scope doesnt use turrets of some stripe to manipulate shot adjustment via erector travel?

Are there any?

Not really, my point being that if it has an exposed "turret" and marketed to use for adjusting out in the field at the moment of truth it better track. It is not such a big deal if tracking is not perfect on a scope with caps over the adjuster when your at the range using a dime to adjust sight in but even then it is dissapointing. Nothing is more annoying than a scope that will not track, and puts a hurting on confidence to use that turret for adjustment in the field. I have retired a few scopes on my guns because sighting in was too much trouble with sticky travel.

Thats what I thought as well....tracking is tracking either way.

IMO, its a big deal to track correctly, no matter the turret.

I've put ~ eight Leupolds with exposed turrets through tracking tests. One of the eight didn't track every time, it needs to go back to Leupold CS. The rest worked well and have worked well consistently, or I'd be switching up brands. I do turn past where I want to end up 2-4 MOA and then spin back down. The adjustment values have varied a lot, but the VX-3's (vs VX-III's or VariX-III's) do seem to be more likely to adjust in true MOA in my limited sample.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll get it sent in and let you know of the results. I expect nothing less than stellar customer service from Leupold, just hoping the problem isn't a recurring one.

My VX-1 had an 18 day turn around from factory,,, lasted less than 15 rounds and shot group is scattering again high left back up to where the first rounds hit,,, Took it off and put a Nikon 4.5x14x40 on rifle, sub inch at 100 now. factory report on the VX-1 was nothing wrong with it, dis assembled and reassembled to factory new spec,s,,, the friction adjustment knobs are gone, replaced with 1/4 min click adjustments now ?? the urge to pound it flat and send it back has passed for now,,,,:confused:

Oh yes, my Nikon has finger adjustment turrents, no dimes needed,, after the zero I loosened the screws on side and topo turrents, lifted and turned dials back to 0 set them back on and tightened then down :) neat feature from Nikon.

Last edited:
Back