Leupold question

cwitherow

I currently have a VX-Freedom 4-12x40 30mm with side focus. While it’s a fine scope, I’m just not completely happy with it. I feel at first light/last light it isn’t as clear as other scopes I’ve used (old vortex diamondback HD that had a 44mm objective). I have it on my 30-06, which is my do-it-all rifle. I like the idea of the CDS dial so a duplex reticle is fine for me. I was wondering if the VX-3i 3-9 would be a noticeable enough difference, or if I would need to step up to the vx-5 series (which would need to be a while, considering cost).

Any insight is always appreciated.

I'd think you'd be happy with either the 3i or the 5. I have both and each will allow me to take shots all the way to legal shooting light easily

I used the VX-3i this season, and it was a noticeable improvement over my 15 year old VX-2. I think you'd be happy with it. It's a great, simple, do-all scope.

I own two VX1's 4x12x40 & 3x9x40, a VX2 3x9x40 and a VX3I 3x9x40 on various different rifles. Honestly the VX1 (12x) I own just went on a Remington 700 build I am starting (sending it back to Leupold for CDS) and the VX3i is surely a better scope/glass. When I say better I mean it does perform a bit better in low light and clarity, I would say the VX3 is better but I personally wouldn't say one or the other will make the difference in me shooting better or worse. Low light anymore is really about my own personal eyesight. I did consider purchasing a new VX3i in a 4x12x40 with CDS for my new build but in the end I decided to utilize what I have and send in my VX1 for CDS dial for a paltry $180.00.

My budget is my personal pilot and if I had the budget I would probably have gone with a VX3i CDS. I would say if your budget allows it, it may be just the step up you are looking for to get that extra 5-10 min. of morning or evening light. I wouldn't kid yourself and think it's gonna give you an additional 30 or 40 min. of low light. Just my .02

I got my buck on saturday 2 minutes after legal shooting light. It was in a valley in the mountains so it was still really dark. At 80 yards all I could see with my eyes was the general shape of the deer. With my VX3i 4.5-14x50 I could see him clearly and was able to be tagged out opening morning.

Last edited:
I own two VX1's 4x12x40 & 3x9x40, a VX2 3x9x40 and a VX3I 3x9x40 on various different rifles. Honestly the VX1 (12x) I own just went on a Remington 700 build I am starting (sending it back to Leupold for CDS) and the VX3i is surely a better scope/glass. When I say better I mean it does perform a bit better in low light and clarity, I would say the VX3 is better but I personally wouldn't say one or the other will make the difference in me shooting better or worse. Low light anymore is really about my own personal eyesight. I did consider purchasing a new VX3i in a 4x12x40 with CDS for my new build but in the end I decided to utilize what I have and send in my VX1 for CDS dial for a paltry $180.00.

My budget is my personal pilot and if I had the budget I would probably have gone with a VX3i CDS. I would say if your budget allows it, it may be just the step up you are looking for to get that extra 5-10 min. of morning or evening light. I wouldn't kid yourself and think it's gonna give you an additional 30 or 40 min. of low light. Just my .02
Not necessarily trying to get more time, just maximize it when in the woods.

I must own about a dozen Leupold scopes. From Rifleman to VX-5. I think the VX3i is the best for the money. I just put another one on my new rifle. VX3i 4-14x50 CDS ZL.

And yes, buy form Schmalts on this forum.

I have several VX5-3i scopes and a couple VX5. For the money and weight difference, the VX-3i is hard to beat. First, last light and shadows goes to the VX5HD.

I must own about a dozen Leupold scopes. From Rifleman to VX-5. I think the VX3i is the best for the money. I just put another one on my new rifle. VX3i 4-14x50 CDS ZL.

And yes, buy form Schmalts on this forum.
Just bought this same VX3i and love it, but only hangup is dialing from 4 on up ... the "lever" isn't very great with gloves on ... any advice on finding a quality aftermarket throw lever? I see MK Machining offers models in a polymer but the reviews are horrible. They are constantly breaking on people. Leupold only offers lever for the VX5 and VX6 models. Any hot tips on where to buy from??

Ya it’s a little stiff. I had one of the throw levers but it kept catching on thugs when taking out of gunsleeve. It’s my only complaint too

I’ve got 2 vx-2’s, a VX-3, and a VX3i both in the 3.5-10x40 and can’t tell the difference in them for clarity and light gathering. They’ve all been great. My daughter shot her first buck this year with the vx2 3-9x40 at last light At 100 yards. I couldn’t even see it till she shot. i shot a doe at 300 yards at last light last year with the 4-12x40. great scopes I got on clearance- the VX2’s. I’ve also got som of the old FX2’s and they are nearly as good.

If your visual acuity is still relatively good you will see a distinct improvement going to the VX3i I also have Vx5 and Mark4&5. Bought my first Leupold scope 50 years ago the newer 3is are a fantastic hunting scope. You’ll still have it 50 years from now and it won’t owe you a dime.

Increasing the multiplier from 3X to 5X or 6X actually decreases optical quality. I doubt that the same quality of glass is used in the VX3 series as the VX5 and VX6 scopes, however, the VX3 series scopes were intended to be good scopes, so I doubt that clarity and light transmission lag far behind the VX5 and 6 if at all. My VX3i is quite bright and clear, but I’ve not yet hunted with it.

If your visual acuity is still relatively good you will see a distinct improvement going to the VX3i I also have Vx5 and Mark4&5. Bought my first Leupold scope 50 years ago the newer 3is are a fantastic hunting scope. You’ll still have it 50 years from now and it won’t owe you a dime.
The 2 Leupold scopes we have on a .270 and a 7RM are now coming up on 40 years and we have never had a single problem. (y)

Back