Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leupold Gold Ring HD Binos

----

I have been using the same pair of Nikon Monarchs for 10 years now. They aren't worthless, but they're definitely the weakest link in my optics pile.

I have had the plan of slowly stowing away money with the intent of getting binos from one of the big three European companies. Likely not the flagship models, but one of the SLC/Trinovid/Conquests. I will not have the money to get these this year.

I have been digging through old reviews for the Gold Rings though, and at the time of release they seemed to compare favorably to those models.

I'm hoping for input.

Has anyone compared these models above?

Is the extra $500-600 I'd be saving worth it, or should I stay the course and buy a European set next year?

Is the gap between my Monarchs and the Gold Rings enough to warrant the swap?

Last edited:
I compared the SLC/Trinovid and Conquests earlier this year and settled on the Conquests. I'm happy with my decision. With that said I'm happy with my Gold Ring optics too, but they are not binos. I could not justify the "flagship" models either - just too much of a price gap for me. A person can't go wrong buying the best, but i find my Conquests more than adequate.

Gold Rings are hard to find, as they have been discontinued for three (?) years. They are in demand because of the glass quality-to-price ratio.

There is a new Gold Ring coming out that I will be abusing this season. It will be an extremely good glass to compete with the three Euro brands and at a price that is better. Some will always want Euro glass and nothing will change their minds. When people see the quality of the lens and coatings and the price, albeit not inexpensive, I think Leupold will reestablish the Gold Ring a serious competitor in the binocular market.

When engineers send you something with a note, "Try your best to destroy these," you take that as a bit of a challenge. I've seen the first prototypes. I was impressed. Soon on my doorstep will be the next generation of the prototype for me to abuse this season.

It might be worth waiting until 2017.

Do you think that they'll make a traditional looking spotter in the gold ring?

I've seen the prototype put together by the engineers. A guy I know who is an abusive spotting scope user who happens to run a camera for a TV show and also helps on a ton of sheep and goat hunts is part of the field testing team. We were just chatting about it at a WSF beer tasting event this evening. I'll have the "field tester's" prototype late this season or next season.

Can't wait to see it and hear your thoughts on it. Leuopld is all I use on my rifles and my binos(Cascade 10x42s).

I have had the plan of slowly stowing away money with the intent of getting binos from one of the big three European companies. Likely not the flagship models, but one of the SLC/Trinovid/Conquests. I will not have the money to get these this year.

I saved for a long time and put off some other things for a set of SLC's and have not regretted it one bit. I've looked through plenty of friends other branded binoculars since and have only been more happy with my purchase. Every time I pick up my work bino's (monarchs or old leupold green rings) I always seem to want more performance. My advice is to stick with the original plan and never have that thought that maybe you should or could have bought something else.

Maybe I might could provide some insight. I own both of the binoculars in question (Leupold Gold Rings 10-17x42 and Swarovski EL Range 10x42).

In my opinion, the bottom line is that you have to use a pair of binoculars enough to warrant the $2K-$3K price tag period (unless your pocket book is larger then mine I guess). I spend many days in the field, so it was easy for me to justify the expenditure.

Here are a few items I have found to be the main differences.
- My Swarovski's are unmatched in low light conditions. I am consistently amazed at how much I can see at low light when others have stashed away their binoculars. Sure you might not could legally shoot what you could see, but knowing that an animal is in that area can be a real game changer at least for me.
- I have used both of these binos on Western hunts, and it is less strain to scan with the Swarovski's for a long period of time. To be honest I had heard this from others, and couldn't believe it to be true. When I had my Gold Rings, I really didn't feel that I was straining to see what I needed to if there was adequate light. However, I found the Swaro's to be much more pleasurable as most people will say. I personally believe it has to do with the clarity, and edge to edge coverage.
- The other small item is that the Swaro's just focus faster then my Gold Rings. When looking across the landscape, you can focus on items much quicker. Many times I find myself not having to touch the focus knob on my Swaro's, when I would on my Gold Rings.
- The eye cups on the Gold Rings are not great in my opinion. They just don't have the same level of construction of the Swarovski's.
- Swarovski has now perfected the lens covers. I generally lose these after a few hunts, but they have remained in tact on my Swarovski's.

Do the above items warrant the price difference you have to pay? I believe that is a question for each person to answer.
My answer is that if you use them enough, those benefits will outweigh the price that you paid. If I hunted 10-20 days out of the year, I would probably just stick with the Gold Rings as they will perform well for the price paid.

I hope this helps.

Maybe I might could provide some insight. I own both of the binoculars in question (Leupold Gold Rings 10-17x42 and Swarovski EL Range 10x42).

In my opinion, the bottom line is that you have to use a pair of binoculars enough to warrant the $2K-$3K price tag period (unless your pocket book is larger then mine I guess). I spend many days in the field, so it was easy for me to justify the expenditure.

Here are a few items I have found to be the main differences.
- My Swarovski's are unmatched in low light conditions. I am consistently amazed at how much I can see at low light when others have stashed away their binoculars. Sure you might not could legally shoot what you could see, but knowing that an animal is in that area can be a real game changer at least for me.
- I have used both of these binos on Western hunts, and it is less strain to scan with the Swarovski's for a long period of time. To be honest I had heard this from others, and couldn't believe it to be true. When I had my Gold Rings, I really didn't feel that I was straining to see what I needed to if there was adequate light. However, I found the Swaro's to be much more pleasurable as most people will say. I personally believe it has to do with the clarity, and edge to edge coverage.
- The other small item is that the Swaro's just focus faster then my Gold Rings. When looking across the landscape, you can focus on items much quicker. Many times I find myself not having to touch the focus knob on my Swaro's, when I would on my Gold Rings.
- The eye cups on the Gold Rings are not great in my opinion. They just don't have the same level of construction of the Swarovski's.
- Swarovski has now perfected the lens covers. I generally lose these after a few hunts, but they have remained in tact on my Swarovski's.

Do the above items warrant the price difference you have to pay? I believe that is a question for each person to answer.
My answer is that if you use them enough, those benefits will outweigh the price that you paid. If I hunted 10-20 days out of the year, I would probably just stick with the Gold Rings as they will perform well for the price paid.

I hope this helps.

Very well said. I've got 2 pair of EL's. 12x50 and 10x42. I pick up each pair at least once a day even if just from the porch or bedroom window. The biggest thing I've noticed over the lower priced high end optics, is that by day 3 or 5 of a 15 day hunt, I found myself not wanting to use my binos anymore. I just didn't wanna put them up to my eyes. With the swaro's I don't get that.

I've no doubt that the swaros are quite a bit better in all aspects than others but like said above, if you're only using them 20-30 days out of the year they may not be worth the extra price.

I'll admit though, im an optics snob and have been ever since I brought home that 1st set of swaro binos.

If you're patient and hunt around you can find SLC 8x binos for pretty darn cheap. My hunting partner just picked a set up for 350 off craigslist. If I'd known that was even possible I wouldn't have throw down on my mid-range vortex binos.

If you're patient and hunt around you can find SLC 8x binos for pretty darn cheap. My hunting partner just picked a set up for 350 off craigslist. If I'd known that was even possible I wouldn't have throw down on my mid-range vortex binos.

They must have been stolen for 350.

Their are deal to be had on used ones though, but deals that good are not the norm....

Gold Rings are hard to find, as they have been discontinued for three (?) years. They are in demand because of the glass quality-to-price ratio.

There is a new Gold Ring coming out that I will be abusing this season. It will be an extremely good glass to compete with the three Euro brands and at a price that is better. Some will always want Euro glass and nothing will change their minds. When people see the quality of the lens and coatings and the price, albeit not inexpensive, I think Leupold will reestablish the Gold Ring a serious competitor in the binocular market.

When engineers send you something with a note, "Try your best to destroy these," you take that as a bit of a challenge. I've seen the first prototypes. I was impressed. Soon on my doorstep will be the next generation of the prototype for me to abuse this season.

It might be worth waiting until 2017.

Any updates on these Fin? I'm needing an upgrade pretty soon myself.

For what it's worth I also have a pair of Nikon monarchs. For Christmas I received a pair of Mohave pro guide hd's. I have not had a chance to extensively field test them but have taken them deer hunting and squirrel hunting twice. They are very nice, to my eye, in side by side comparison to the Monarchs they win hands down. Just for what it's worth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back