Let’s talk chainsaws!

Addicting

I am done doing fire wood, done it for the last 25 years in one form or another. Last 15 years has been 23-27 cords a year. I currently have a Stihl MS360. It is a beast that has always been a great saw. I put it thru hell and it always came back for more. The only maintenance it needed was 2 new mufflers and a few spark plugs.

I am selling this in the estate auction and am shopping for a smaller saw. I don’t need a big one and my arms get fatigued faster than they used to.

Around the house crap and elk camp will be its main use.

So a new saw needs good power to weight. GAS POWERED! 16”-18” bar, NO requirement to run proprietary safety chain!! Has to run at sea level and at 7-8000 feet without hesitation. Prefer not to have some easy chain tightening system. Regular old 2 stud and straight slot tightener is fine with me.
Budget is under $500

What do you recommend?

Can’t go wrong with another Stihl. Some of the newer ones have compensating carburetors for all altitudes. Take a look at the MS261s, just one size down from what you own now
That is what I originally was looking at, it’s over my budget and for what I’m going to use it for it’s overkill.

I actually like my little Stihl MS170 for a cheap saw to keep in the truck. If I was cutting a lot of firewood with it I would get something bigger, and I kind of wish I had bought the MS271 instead.
How does the 170 do in hard wood? I looked at one today along with a 250.

That is what I originally was looking at, it’s over my budget and for what I’m going to use it for it’s overkill.
I just can’t justify spending 450 on a saw that will weigh almost the same as the 261 and provide significantly less power. I’m in it for the 550-600 to get the pro saw. My personal opinion.

Pawn shop Stihls are the world's greatest investment. Even if you have to take it to a shop to get gone over, you're money ahead. Figure paying half of new.

I've had Homelites, Husqarnas, and Stihls.

I got too old to lift the Homelites, but I bet they would still run today.
I've worn out two Husqvarnas, including a 3120XP and a 272xp. The 3120XP is a Harley with a bar on it.
All my Stihl are running strong. The oldest is an 076 that I put on my Alaskan Mill after the Husky died. My go-to is a 361 with a 20" on it.

Anyone run a Echo? Their warranty is top notch. 5 years and lifetime on the electronics.
I have run everything listed and run saws 50 hours a week. I own pro grade stihl and husky saws. The newer husky’s have a better weight to power ratio than the newer stihls. They can be a little temperamental starting. Stihls usually start easier. Run premium non ethanol fuels in any of them. A sharp chain and extra chain is the most important factor. The echos have come a long way in the past couple years. I don’t own any but the couple people I know that have them haven’t complained yet.

Anyone run a Echo? Their warranty is top notch. 5 years and lifetime on the electronics.
I have several Echo saws. They are a great all around saw with little homeowner models up to full blown professional saws.

I usually just open up the muffler and adjust the carb out of the box. Seem to run good.

My old man bought a new stihl a couple years back, smaller than the farm boss. I forgot the number but that thing is great you can cut limbs one handed with ease. Go stihl or go home imo.

I have run everything listed and run saws 50 hours a week. I own pro grade stihl and husky saws. The newer husky’s have a better weight to power ratio than the newer stihls. They can be a little temperamental starting. Stihls usually start easier. Run premium non ethanol fuels in any of them. A sharp chain and extra chain is the most important factor. The echos have come a long way in the past couple years. I don’t own any but the couple people I know that have them haven’t complained yet.
This.

The hoses go soft from the ethanol. The saw will start and then starve out when you rev them or put a load on the.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back