Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Less Access = Less People = Less Probability of getting Caught

TB- I will only post this once more as you have yet to give any indication you possess logic. As Nemont pointed out, there is not a correlation of "getting caught" to number of people or the amount of access. There is only a correlation between the amount of poaching that is done and the number of people there are in an area. To keep this within your topic... Please provide proof there is any correlation between getting caught and the number of people/access. The game warden I spoke to said it is easier to catch a poacher if you know there was only 1 person in the area when the poaching was done. He also said the correlation you are speaking of does not exist.

MattK said:
TB- I will only post this once more as you have yet to give any indication you possess logic. As Nemont pointed out, there is not a correlation of "getting caught" to number of people or the amount of access. There is only a correlation between the amount of poaching that is done and the number of people there are in an area. To keep this within your topic... Please provide proof there is any correlation between getting caught and the number of people/access. The game warden I spoke to said it is easier to catch a poacher if you know there was only 1 person in the area when the poaching was done. He also said the correlation you are speaking of does not exist.
Reread your statement. How do you think that correlation is possible?

Here's a clue. Getting caught is a factor of being detected/seen/witnessed/observed.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TB- I reread my statement "there is not a correlation of "getting caught" to number of people or the amount of access." The odds of getting caught do not increase when the number of people in an area increase.

Please provide proof of your statement "less access=less people=less probability of getting caught". Nemont has provided many documents and both he and I have spoken to game wardens about this. All have went against your "formula". Unless you can provide actual data, I will consider this topic done and you full of sh**.

Oh, I do know the "real" reason you started this topic again and it remains you being an ignorant ass. If you knew myself or BuzzH, this topic wouldn't have begun again. But I am willing to play along.

Please, please, MATTy, watch your language. You seem to have the same problem that BUZZ has. I would bet that if you actually comprehended the topic, the officer would have given you a different answer. I have discussed this with a couple of officers here and both agree.

Just another clue for you MATTy, it has nothing to do with creating unlimited access or ATVs. It is a topic on access and people density.

MattK said:
TB- I reread my statement "there is not a correlation of "getting caught" to number of people or the amount of access." The odds of getting caught do not increase when the number of people in an area increase.
Are you saying that there is less poaching in areas with increased access? Do you really believe that with more people in the area poachers aren't less likely to poach there?
Think for yourself for once.

TB- Where have you posted any data? I have re read the entire topic, even going back to the one you got locked. No where is there any data to back up your formula. I will have to assume there isn't any and you are just pulling from your extreme wealth of BS on this topic. Still waiting for any facts or figures!

Can common sense be quantified and written about and added to this type of research?
I didn't really think common sense had merit in this place. I would guess it would have a lot to do with who is paying for the research on who’s “common sense” one is looking at.
If it isn't written about and put in black and white, it just can't exist, even if you are standing there looking at the truth with your own two eyes... :eek: :D:D:D

I see you have taken me up on all of the offers over the years to see some thing first hand that you dispute.... :)
But we would die before we had some one show us something contrary to our misguided belief now wouldn't we... ;)

Cheese, WTF are you going to show me that I dont already know? You going to show me how to set up a cookie oven? Dig pits in the woods?

I'd have to spend all day trying to get you to understand just the basics of anything to do with forestry, range management, etc. etc. etc.

Frankly, if I wanted to spend time teaching people like you...I would give a lecture to a classroom full of third graders. At least they'd listen.

MichaelR- I guess the game warden Nemont spoke to and the one I spoke to lack the common sense you are referring. Your story make it as big as you want.

MATTy/BUZZ, I haven't seen anything posted that disputres the topic. NEMONTS posts are good as supporting evidence if the topic was poaching near roads, but it's not. I do believe that if MATTy could grasp/comprehend the topic he would have gotten a different response from the game warden there.
"People are willing to pay large amounts of money to kill a trophy animal and don't care if it's illegal or not," said Jim Kropp, chief of law enforcement for the state Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. "They get comfortable hunting behind locked gates and shooting what they see..... http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conserv...on-rise_MT.html
....If killing lots of big animals is the only way that one becomes a great hunter, then the incentives to lie, cheat, steal and poach are being built into the system.

Gutschow describes how the drive to bag trophy elk led one so-called "pro hunter" to poach in a national park. http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...s/1449051.html+trophy+poach+backcountry&hl=en
Poaching is a serious problem. Poaching is the illegal hunting of deer out-of-season, at night, or in restricted areas such as forest preserves. Some poachers kill to keep the deer away from their crops, or because they need the meat. Others poach simply because they consider it "fun".
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:.../predators.asp+trophy+poach+backcountry&hl=en
If money is the motivation for most poaching, what drives the money, according to McLean, are the inflated egos of status seekers accustomed to quick gratification, no matter what the price.

"You often get highly successful people who are type A personalities and are just used to getting what they want," says the federal prosecutor. "They feel they can do anything." (sound like anybody we know?)

Officials note that it's difficult to document exactly how much the poaching problem in Montana has increased. But they do know that money always attracts illegality. And as the money attached to wildlife has increased, as it has in recent years, officials know that poaching activity has too. What's more, adds McLean, "the poachers out there are killing more per man. It's not just poach one deer and take it home. It's poach ten." http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...s/2002/Poaching.htm+trophy+poach+remote&hl=en
The only requirement is you have to be ready to take a stand against poaching and be willing to report the illegal killing of wildlife to the Division of Wildlife.

That’s not so hard, yet there’s still too many unreported cases of poaching occurring across the state, with some of the most egregious cases taking place along the Colorado-Utah line, in some of the most remote country this state has.

A resolution approved in July by the Colorado Wildlife Commission says that anyone providing information leading to the prosecution of a poacher can obtain, free of charge, a license for the animal that was poached.
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...4_poach_reward.html+trophy+poach+remote&hl=en

MichaelR- I guess the game warden Nemont spoke to and the one I spoke to lack the common sense you are referring. Your story make it as big as you want.

Imagine that:rolleyes:

I will use this analogy....

If you were to go into a store to steal a pack of gum, would you be more likely to get caught in one with people in the gum isle, or one where nobody is around to witness the theft?
Would you target a store that is busy?
Would you look for one where you are less likely to be watched?
Simple.
I realize that is pretty simplistic, and that alot of variables could change things, But that simple bit of common sense is pretty srtaight forward.

:D What is the name of the warden you talked to?
I want to see if he passed the third grade,(ALA BUZZ):D

The guy I talked was Steve Jones. He has a degree from Penn State.

TB,
You may want to go see what stores theives target to shop lift. It is generally busy retailers because more people in a busy store allows them to have less chance of getting caught because security is busy.

Nemont

NEMONT, how many stores offer substantial rewards for turning in shoplifters? Kind of an apples and oranges thing if you ask me. If you think about it, every store has a person working in it, a clerk if you would. Would it make sense that if you wanted to steal something, you go to one that is closed and without an alarm system, as opposed to one that is open 24 hours and staffed or one that is closed but has an alarm system. But still this is apples and oranges.

Kind of an apples and oranges thing if you ask me.

TB,

There is a ton of reward money offered for poaching that takes place. I am not sure what a reward has to do with it.

Things sometimes are counter intuitive. When poaching is taking place in remote areas it is often more detectable because people who use the area may be more likely to report it. In addition fewer people means there are also fewer suspects to investigate and fewer suspects leads to higher conviction rates because the investigators can focus. Also trophy poachers have a really stupid habit: They can't keep their mouths shut. Joe sixpack who poaches a doe takes it home to be butchered in the garage and bones thrown to the dogs. Trophy poachers take pics, get mounts etc., etc.

Nemont

Back