Caribou Gear

Leopold vx5 boone and crocket

Walkalot

So i bought a vx5 Leopold boone and crocket. For a 300 rum. Its a 2nd focus plane scope. Can someone in english tell me what the difference between 1st plane focus and 2nd plane focus is. Also is having a 2nd plane focus scope a bad thing. I have been told it changes the point of impact on different powers. I have no 300 rum bullets to test it myself.

It is hard to explain. But in a FFP scope the reticle will change size along with the zoom. In a SFP the reticle stays the same size but the image changes. Because of this if you want to use the B&C reticle for hold over you need to follow the directions that came with the scope to calibrate bullet drop to the hash marks. Then when you are hunting you need to make sure the Zoom is on the proper number so the hash marks are valid when shooting. This is the biggest drawback of B&C instead of turning a turrett

Last edited:
OTOH, on lower power, the FFP scopes have reticles that may be be hard to see at low light, particularly in timber. Hammer has bullets, and Steve will give you ideas on starting loads. Seems to me there's a guy here who posts very infrequently about 300 RUM too. Once you develop your load, send in the data for the custom turret.

What do you need a B&C reticle on a RUM for anyway? Point and shoot to about 500. mtmuley

I actually bought it for my boy. Christensen arms 300 rum. Leopold vx5 boone and crocket. I hunt with a 300 short mag. Duplex Leopold vx3. So not a long range shooter. But want to give the boy some range. He a big kid. Furthest we will be shooting is 600. But very confusing long range stuff. My furthest shot is 250 most witin 75. But want to get into it a little.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back