Legal road question

BigD7400

Hey fellas, I'm planning on making a couple trips out to Wyoming to hunt antelope and deer in the near future. I've hunted pronghorn before but access wasnt an issue on that unit, and we stayed in town where as we want to camp this time. My question, is it legal to drive on roads or 2 tracks that originate off of a public county road on public land? Example, say the county road cuts through a chunk of BLM and in the middle of the BLM a road turns off the county road headed deeper into the BLM. I know that you can't drive through private property (unless on a designated county road) without permission but are all roads fair game on public land that start on public land? 2nd question, can we just pull off anywhere on BLM and camp? I know BLM is open to camping pretty much anywhere but not 100% sure how far from the road we have to be or how far we can park off the road so as to not impede traffic or something. Thanks for any insights!

I'm no expert on WY but on my first antelope hunt there my son and I each had a buck down on State Land. We were parked on the side of the County Road because we didn't know if we could drive out there. A local saw us packing the antelope back and he rode out there to bring us and the bucks back. He said it's perfectly legal.

The way I understand it is only established roads can be driven on unless there is a sign saying road closed. The forest service/blm/state lands define how far off the established roads to retrieve game.

The following link from th BLM should help answer your questions:

https://www.blm.gov/download/file/fid/5392

It’s a pdf from the blm. I think it addresses your question halfway through.

Yes, there was a dirt road that the local used to retrieve us. I didn't use it because I didn't know if it was legal and wanted to be cautious.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on WY but on my first antelope hunt there my son and I each had a buck down on State Land. We were parked on the side of the County Road because we didn't know if we could drive out there. A local saw us packing the antelope back and he rode out there to bring us and the bucks back. He said it's perfectly legal.

On state land in Wyoming, it must be an established road. BLM roads will be marked if closed.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks guys. So basically if there is a road on BLM land that is legally accessible from a county road I’m good to drive on it until it I hit Private land. As for parking to camp, pulling off in the ditch should be good if I read the BLM rules correctly.

Sometimes it is hard for me to determine if a road is "established" or not.. Lots of 2-tracks cutting across BLM going here and there.

Personally, if it's not in good enough condition or look well travelled, or not named on the map, I tend to avoid it to be on the safe side.

Sometimes it is hard for me to determine if a road is "established" or not.. Lots of 2-tracks cutting across BLM going here and there.

Personally, if it's not in good enough condition or look well travelled, or not named on the map, I tend to avoid it to be on the safe side.

Yep^ as often it's not an established road, its just the tracks from some knuckleheads that feel like the are entitled to drive wherever they want.

On the point of "well established roads" are oil/gas access roads on BLM fair game as long as it doesnt cross private?

On the point of "well established roads" are oil/gas access roads on BLM fair game as long as it doesnt cross private?

Mostly, although I have encounter 'private' OG roads on public lands, they have always been marked as closed though.

Yep^ as often it's not an established road, its just the tracks from some knuckleheads that feel like the are entitled to drive wherever they want.

100% my biggest pet peeve on BLM/Forest Service. This is the reason there are areas in the state that are an absolute mess of roads that don't need to be there.

Yes, any established two track on public can be driven......you can camp anywhere on blm

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back