Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Left over tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there other people driving and hunting those roads ?

Goat

Ton's of people driving, they're 50 mph gravel roads with well pads spurring off every 1/4 mile. We talked to a rancher back there that has access to the roads also, and said he can allow hunters on to drive on them.

Takes away from the experience when you pack in 2-3 miles and are listening to diesel pickups cruise by all day.

Goat,

Where in PA are you from? Matthews and I are both from Central PA. I live in Huntingdon...

Are you planning on hunting the first week?

-Jamie

The drilling activity has slowed dramatically and they will be checking wells etc. but not as much traffic as years past. Highway patrol can ticket for parking along the highway in a controlled access area. They will not unless someone complains.

I'm originally from Berwick now I'm stuck here in York so south central ish I guess. Yes leaving Wednesday morning before opener and then home whenever after that... I have 14 days off so I have time to hunt

Goat

Goat I work in the Harrisburg area live in Mifflintown. Good luck on your hunt. Hopefully you won't need 14 days but if your still out when we get there maybe we can sync up. Will be looking forward to seeing how you do if you don't mind sharing.

Yeah that would be a little disheartening to walk in and see rigs running all over the place. Is what it is though. Will be glad just to be out hunting.

Topgun,

How many pronghorn tags have you drawn for unit 16? How many days have you spent hunting there?

Evidently more than what you have if you've only been on it once when you took that nice buck! I am to the point where I hope people park all over the Interstates and a bunch of tickets are issued when all I'm trying to do is tell people they are doing it at their own risk. I asked the question on another website yesterday and so far two Wyoming residents have said they did it and were warned by the Highway Patrol Officers not to do it again while several others have said they do it once in a while and have never been ticketed or warned, so roll the dice boys and hope for the best. Here is the Wyoming statute covering what we're discussing:

WY State Statute 31-5-504 (a) (J). No person shall stop, stand, or park a vehicle on any controlled-access highway. Controlled access highway defined in the statute book as "every highway, street or roadway to which owners or occupants of abutting lands and other persons have no legal access to or from the same except at such points only and in such manner as may be determined by the public authority having jurisdiction over the highway, street, or roadway."

Last edited:
Find a gate and park there but don't block it. It is a crap shoot. Some will ticket and some will not. The fine may be pretty small. I don't know any state that just allows parking along the right of way. That's why cars get marked for towing along busy highways.Call the local law enforcement and ask them about it.

Topgun,

People do it, and are going to continue to park on the highways and Interstates to hunt their public lands, get over it.

If people want to corner cross or park off a highway/interstate to hunt, its absolutely none of your business.

Also, that regulation you posted, doesn't say anything regarding "between the fencelines"...that's you trying to interpret something that's out of your depth of knowledge, just so you can "think" you're "right". About like the advice you've given on unit 16 that you've never held a tag for or even hunted. Honestly, you look rather foolish...but, by all means, carry on.

IMO, it has 100% to do with parking ON the paved road surface, which makes sense. No mention of parking on the actual right of way.

Either way its a common practice in MT and WY, and the more I read, many other States as well.

Topgun,

People do it, and are going to continue to park on the highways and Interstates to hunt their public lands, get over it.

If people want to corner cross or park off a highway/interstate to hunt, its absolutely none of your business.

Also, that regulation you posted, doesn't say anything regarding "between the fencelines"...that's you trying to interpret something that's out of your depth of knowledge, just so you can "think" you're "right". About like the advice you've given on unit 16 that you've never held a tag for or even hunted. Honestly, you look rather foolish...but, by all means, carry on.

IMO, it has 100% to do with parking ON the paved road surface, which makes sense. No mention of parking on the actual right of way.

Either way its a common practice in MT and WY, and the more I read, many other States as well.

Keep posting your BS and some poor sucker will look you up that stops out on I-90 to hunt unit 16 and gets a visit by the HP, LOL! If you had any reading comprehension and didn't just want to argue because I'm the one making the posts you would know that the statute means any area between the fences the way it's worded. How many years were you in law enforcement like I was for over 30 to know how to interpret statutes? Nada, zip, zilch! We know what you do for a living and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with LE work! I could really give a shit now if people listen to you and other's that say to go ahead and do it, as all I'm doing is showing what's on the books and can be enforced IF the HP wants to. They are obviously enforcing it on some Interstates in Wyoming because at least two residents on MM that you got kicked off for being a big dick said they were doing it and were told not to do it by HP Officers that stopped and warned them or they would get a ticket. You also have no idea what units for any animals I've hunted for over 20 years unless I post it up where you can read it and I don't give out that information very often because it's too hard to find good, legal spots, so stick it in your ear! To make that statement about where I have hunted or not hunted was pure BS and you're real good at it and you talk about me making foolish statements, LOL! I also have not said anything about corner crossing other than when people ask I will tell them that G&F lost a case and doesn't enforce it, but people need to be careful and know what County Sheriffs and Prosecutors will if a rancher files a complaint. I swear it's to the point that you would come on and argue that the sun sets in the east if I said it sets in the west. It's to the point where you are almost in the "stalker" category!

Perhaps this will help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
I wish you guys would take your ball and go home. It's getting old listening to all involved about parking on a highway to go hunting. Even I know it's illegal but it's not usually enforced

Here's what would bother me about parking along an interstate to access otherwise landlocked public land- the chance that a landowner and/or outfitter might be upset that I'm hunting "their" land, where they might possibly have paying customers hunting. And that I would be turned in for that reason, and potentially receive a ticket for parking on the interstate. But I do like the idea of accessing public land which otherwise would be inaccessible to anyone except the adjacent landowners. It's similar to the corner crossing dilemma. Which, technically is not illegal, but a person could still be cited for trespassing.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, the "statute" Topgun posted is taken out of context with wording added that doesn't exist. Here is the complete statute:
315504.**Specific places where prohibited.

(a)**Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or trafficcontrol device, no person shall:

(i)**Stop, stand or park a vehicle:

(A)**On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;

(B)**On a sidewalk;

(C)**Within an intersection;

(D)**On a crosswalk;

(E)**Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within thirty (30) feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by signs or markings;

(F)**Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when stopping, standing or parking would obstruct traffic;

(G)**Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel;

(H)**On any railroad tracks;

(J)**On any controlledaccess highway;

(K)**In the area between roadways of a divided highway, including crossovers;

(M)**At any place where official trafficcontrol devices prohibit stopping.

(vii) "Controlled-access highway" means every highway, street or roadway in respect to which owners or occupants of abutting lands and other persons have no legal right of access to or from the same except at such points only and in such manner as may be determined by the public authority having jurisdiction over the highway, street or roadway;

WH- A friend of mine is retired WYDOT after over 30 yrs. He does not know of any parking tickets issued to hunters parking by right of way fences and in fact says WHP who know the vehicle is a hunter, have no issue with it. If the vehicle stays more than a day, they put a 'move or tow in 72 hrs' sticker on it. No ticket. If you park like a moron, you get the sticker the same day. If you park like a moron on the shoulder and it's unsafe, you get towed the same day.

Also, please tell me you know of someone who has been cited for corner crossing in the state of Wyoming as a trespass. We need a to set a precedent.

Of course I don't know of anyone being cited for corner crossing, or parking along the interstate in Wyoming. I don't live there. Maybe you misunderstood my comment. I'm only trying to say my concern would be an upset landowner or outfitter who didn't want me on the public land which they thought they had exclusive access to.

The last time this "park along the highway" issue came up as a tangential item on a thread, I asked for statute from those claiming it was illegal. None was provided that was a true state statute. I have since contacted a friend at Montana DOT. He informed me that there is no such statute prohibiting the parking along a highway in Montana. If you park in a manner that is dangerous, disruptive to traffic, or in other manner that a MHP officer finds to be dangerous, you may receive a citation for creating a traffic hazard, but not because you parked off the shoulder of a highway. He also stated, as a standard procedure, officers will most often stop if they have reasonable concerns of why the vehicle is parked on the side of the road.

At least as it applies in MT and WY (as per the post by JM77), there is no statute prohibiting such parking in a safe manner.

Warning to all, the next time a thread gets hijacked with this stupid issue, either by someone saying it is illegal or someone dragging it into an otherwise useful discussion, the thread will get locked. I'm not liking the tone of some threads degrading to the 6th grade banter level. I've spent the last two years in a specific effort to try change that tone.

Get over the grade school bickering, on all sides, or move on to a different forum. Hunting is to be an enjoyable discussion and hunting has too many other issues way more important than this childish crap. This thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back